922 Sling Issues?

No, the latest software, S105, doesn't allow this yet on the 922. You can't play off of or archive to EHD's attached to the 922 yet. Hopefully, we'll be able to "soon".

Thanks

What is "SlingHealth"?

"SlingHealth" could not be installed because it is not compatible with your Firefox build type (Darwin_ppc-gcc3). Please contact the author of this item about the problem.

What is SlingHealth? A diagnostic utility? How can I learn more and/or download it?

USB for EHD's is unreliable at best

Anyone else having problems trying to access info off there (their) external hard drive they used with there 722 with there new VIP 922...
I get an error message saying this drive is configured for another dish account...

I had two EHD's with backups. One doesn't work at all. The other keeps triggering errors about connect/disconnect. And the DVR freezes easily and frequently.

AND

Dish installer & support confirm that you cannot backup to external drives until a FUTURE SOFTWARE RELEASE.

Unacceptable user manual

The user guide is short and superficial. It doesn't have a single reference to the word/phrase "Sling" !!!

Sling via Dish Remote Login works intermittently. Sometimes it works and sometimes I get the black screen that says, "There was a problem communicating with your Slingbox. Please try again later." Sometimes simply closing the window and reopening the site gets it to work and other times I keep continually get the same error message. I am connected and can review and set any recordings, just can't watch TV off the 922.

Me too!

...I have only been able to Sling through Firefox/Safari for about 1 minute, SD or HD. After that, I can't even get the receiver back online for about 10 minutes.

It's frustrating. The Sling looks GREAT for that one minute, then go kaput. Any suggestions would be great!

It may not be much consolation but you are not alone. It's very unstable. This is a beta product-- not ready for public use!

If there is a miracle solution I sure would like to know.

For those with firewalls the question of ports comes up, since some firewalls are configured simply by the port number. As far as I can tell the port number used is random. There are no consistent set of ports that you can easily configure your firewall to recognize...

I have been a longtime Slingbox user. Isn't the default port 5001? I asked tech support and they said yes.

But I must admit that I still cannot connect remotely using direct IP addressing-- even though I have done this for 3 years with my standalone Slingox Classic. I have strong home networking expertise and a very good router configuration interface. I know how to open the ports and I have setup "static DHCP" where the router consistently assigns (reserves) the same IP address for the VIP922.

In the past 12 hours since my 922 was first installed it's dropped the Ethernet and brought it back up 79 times...

If nothing else proves the point that this product is not ready for wide use-- this one is it. I am having similar problems. (Among many others as you can see by my posts.)

So I ran a trace of the traffic to and from my 922 tonight and discovered what was causing my network drop out problem. My DHCP server was misbehaving and providing the wrong server-identifier (ip address of the DHCP server in non-DHCP protocol terminology).

Where it did cause problems was with the renewals of the lease. The 922 addressed the renewal request to the invalid server-identifier. The ip which it directed the request to received the request and returned an ICMP reply saying that the traffic had been administratively rejected (firewall filtered). However, the DHCP server would still see the traffic, and respond to it giving the ok to renew the lease.

Although this may have been your particular problem, I have seen this happening even though my router (Linksys WRT54GLS with Tomato firmware) has a reserved IP address and recognizes the DVR by its MAC address. There is no problem with renewing the lease. During the install, the tech had to reboot it numerous times and my router consistently reassigned the same IP address and the status list consistently showed the DVR during the DVR reboot process.

My conclusion is that the product is still not stable. With multiple software modules in need of fixes.

Do you really think this will solve the issue? I would think it is a problem with their website or settings.
They have pushed me off saying their is going to be another firmware and software update, but that hasnt happened over the past 48 hours.
My thought was that there was a internet setting or something was overlooked. If this has, in fact, been an issue for someone else and the fix was a new receiver, I will make them replace it.

Maybe a better fix is to get a regular HD DVR and buy a SlingBox?

Any thoughts?

I was using a Slingbox Classic with a VIP722 for quite a while now. If my new experience with the integrated VIP922 Sling circuit & software is any indication, a standalone Slingbox is far more reliable. Actually not far more-- it's completely reliable. Of course you have to have all the network stuff set up correctly (just as you would for the VIP 922) but as for stability of the internet connection, my standalone box was just fine.

I got my 922 Thursday. I know I said I would wait, but I had to have it anyway. I talked to the DISH advanced tech that night and again today and he said that you can only transfer 4 shows or less from you external hard drive to the 922 internal hard drive. If you do more than 4 you might end up with corrupted recordings. So I tried to do 4 and it did work. So the key is not to transfer more than 4 shows at a time.

You are fortunate. I cannot get either of the EHD's with 722 content to work consistently. One drive never works. The other only worked once. Both drives tend to make the DVR freeze sometime after connection. If the connection works at all. Sometimes I get random connected or disconnected message so the USB connection is not stable.

Anyone using Slingcatcher? Slingplayer on PC or Mac?

I cannot successfully connect to the VIP922 from Slingcatcher. Or by using Slingplayer software on my PC or Mac.

I have a lot of prior Sling technology experience over the past few years-- and networking expertise. So you'd think my extensive knowledge would help.

I was using a VIP722 with Slingbox Classic for the past couple years. But applying all that knowledge, I cannot successfully make a direct IP connection to the VIP922.

• Is the VIP922 watching for Sling access at port 5001?
  • Is the VIP922 not designed to work with anything other than mobile clients and the web plugin?
Does anyone have any experience with either or both (Slingcatcher and Slingplayer?)

Slingbox thru repeater

My home network is a netgear router set up as a repeater next to the 922. It's a wireless connection to the netgear base router.

This set up works fine for my WII and DVD player plus worked great with my 722 and slingbox for 2 years.

Now, I can connect to the 922 when wireless to the repeater, but getting a communication error when going thru the base router.

Has anyone had this issue?

I cannot successfully connect to the VIP922 from Slingcatcher. Or by using Slingplayer software on my PC or Mac.

I have a lot of prior Sling technology experience over the past few years-- and networking expertise. So you'd think my extensive knowledge would help.

I was using a VIP722 with Slingbox Classic for the past couple years. But applying all that knowledge, I cannot successfully make a direct IP connection to the VIP922.

• Is the VIP922 watching for Sling access at port 5001?
  • Is the VIP922 not designed to work with anything other than mobile clients and the web plugin?
Does anyone have any experience with either or both (Slingcatcher and Slingplayer?)

I got the Slingplayer app to work on my Mac. I have used it at home but not away from home. You must use version 1.0.8 or older for it to work. Do not get the update when it asks you.

Try port 5101

Thanks for that. Finally some signs of light.

• I can successfully access the DVR using direct IP from Windows Slingplayer 1.x.
  • Mac Slingplayer 1.0.10 does not work-- I get an error saying that this client will not work with the backend.
  • Mac Slingplayer 1.0.4 does work. (But the first two attempts crashed the app. The third try was the charm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts