97 west -G19

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I was scanning through the satellites I receive signals from and making a list so I'd know where things are that I might to watch and all of a sudden the lights are out on G-19? I can get the JBS on 99 and the Chinese stations on 95 but nothing at all on 97? About 6:45 PM Eastern time.

Is this common?

Also working fine here. Time to trouble shoot.

After going through all the channels that my STB had for for 97W I noticed that what I'll call the lower end had no signal whereas the upper channels did so I re-scanned. Several of the channels I've watched in the past are still listed after the rescan but 'no signal'; many are still there too. Could it be that I changed a box or remote setting without realizing it?

Might have changed a LO frequency or 22KHz tone setting.

Don't understand your mention of upper / lower end channels. What does this mean?

Did you erase existing 97w channels before rescanning? What type of scan? Satellite? Transponder? Blind Scan?

What LNB brand/model/LO frequency? Does the STB install menu LNB LO frequency setting match?

Might have changed a LO frequency or 22KHz tone setting.

Don't understand your mention of upper / lower end channels. What does this mean?

When I scan a satellite, my STB assigns channels consecutive numbers in the order that they were found. I'm sure if I push enough buttons I could find the transponder etc but I'm not good enough at this yet to know how to communicate in a manner that will be understood other than to say I got station xxxxx, or the XYZ network on 97 and now I don't (which I believe is a no no).. So, the lower end was channels 1 through about 100.

Did you erase existing 97w channels before rescanning?

Didn't know that I could, or should.

What type of scan? Satellite? Transponder? Blind Scan?

Blind scan

What LNB brand/model/LO frequency?

Avenger universal.

Does the STB install menu LNB LO frequency setting match?

It did, I'll check.

Odd that 95 and 99W are good but not 97W. I would check your STB settings for that satellite. 97W coming in fine in NJ.

When I scan a satellite, my STB assigns channels consecutive numbers in the order that they were found...to know how to communicate in a manner that will be understood other than to say I got station xxxxx, or the XYZ network on 97 and now I don't (which I believe is a no no).. So, the lower end was channels 1 through about 100.

I looked at what I have for 95W-Ku and 99W-Ku and most of what is scanned in are channels on Horizontal polarity transponders. If you lost a bunch of channels on 97W, especially grouped together like you describe, are they possibly channels on Vertical polarity transponders?

I'm sure if I push enough buttons I could find the transponder
You had posted about having a RS-1933 receiver. If you're on 97W (as you'd normally watch TV), select one of the channels that quit working.

Then looking at the bottom of the remote control, grouped with the red, blue, green and yellow buttons is one with an ' i ' on it. Press the 'i ' button twice and it will bring up channel and transponder information.

Reactions: fred555
I would suggest that you delete all 97w channels then perform a blind scan. If you have not deleted the original channels before blind scanning, the old original channels will be the lower number channels. Maybe these original channels were scanned with the wrong LO and are now orphans?

Go ahead and give us some examples of channels that can't be received. There is no problem listing the 97w KU channels here in the forum. Unlike FTA channels on other satellites, the channels on 97w KU are specifically targeting the home market and want us to watch and share.

Reactions: KE4EST
It may have been the weather. All the channels are back execpt for Jasmine My grandson's favorite channel). I was wondering if my dish needed to be adjusted but after I tried it ended up where I started. When things were 'not right' I could get many channels on 97W, some of the channels I usually received had no signal, and some were breaking up. Does weather bother some but not all of the channels on a satellite?

A few transponders are lower power or have interference from an adjacent satellite. These transponders will disappear first if a dish is not properly aimed or skew improperly rotated. You shouldn't be losing 97w channels during rain or cloud cover. If so, most likely an aiming issue or damaged dish.

Place the receiver on the channel with the lowest Signal Quality meter reading and display the signal meter. Don't use any channel on the 11842 TP as it has significant interference from an adjacent satellite and optimizing the aiming with it will detune most other transponders. While you watche the meter readings on a TV next to the dish (or someone in the house), GENTLY press on the back of the dish left, right, up, down to see if any movement increases the Signal Quality reading. If so, mark the current elevation and azimuth positions on the bracket, slightly loosen the appropriate bolt(s) and optimize the dish aiming. Tighten the bolts while continuing to watch the meter reading as the tightening will often change the aiming and Signal Quality will be reduced.

Also check that the LNBF skew is optimized by slightly loosening the LNBF clamp screws and SLOWLY rotating the LNBF within the clamp and sliding it fire/aft to optimize the Signal Quality reading. Tighten the clamp screws when complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: fred555
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)