97W PIT channel FEC

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Unfortunately HW/FW and the error correction protocol cannot be changed that way what you using :). I would say you're lucky to have the receiver what could lock with the wrong FEC command.
But inside of it it will do that job if it use correct value.
Short, you cannot cut variable number of bits from one packet when the count predetermined as per FEC value [created] before uplink.

Let me say other way - you can't start engine after you fueled 78 octane gas by changing tires or just telling the engine - "Start it !". :D
They way that's written confuses my head. I have read it slowly bit by bit.

So what you're saying is:
It don't work that way. If it's not all set right I won't work

Response: I would only be looking for it to lock on to the transponder one way. The right way in respect to freq., pol., sym. rate, and FEC.

However I've only used TSReader with my Hauppauge HVR-1600 ATSC/QAM
I don't know how the exact workings of TSReader and a USB or PCI DVB-S/S2 device would work. I don't claim to.
I've only read the older threads with yourself and other owners going over the paticulars.
What I understand is some IRD's and PC software can give the info back.
I don't have anything that will give me that info.
So I put a call out here to ask those that did have the various IRD's to check.

I never claimed to be able to magically change the transponders FEC, or even that I thought it would give me better signal be forcing my IRD to pick up the transponder quality by chucking out packets.
I don't know how AcWxRadar got any of that. Poor sick man.

I wanted to know if Mike 's list and Lyngsat were out of date, in the case that they changed the FEC rate Tuesday.
No probable, but I wanted someone who could, to find out and tell me

So again thanks to everyone for your help.

Originally Posted by Smith, P.
Unfortunately HW/FW and the error correction protocol cannot be changed that way what you using :). I would say you're lucky to have the receiver what could lock with the wrong FEC command.
But inside of it it will do that job if it use correct value.
Short, you cannot cut variable number of bits from one packet when the count predetermined as per FEC value [created] before uplink.

Let me say other way - you can't start engine after you fueled 78 octane gas by changing tires or just telling the engine - "Start it !". :D

What I understand is some IRD's and PC software can give the info back.
I don't have anything that will give me that info.
So I put a call out here to ask those that did have the various IRD's to check.

The Broadlogic card I use to find the FEC, is kind of neat to use. It has a control app, and when you tell it to tune a transponder, it has an indicator for "DATA LOCK" and "SIGNAL LOCK" (I'm not sure what the difference is, because both must be digital locks, because those boxes aren't checked if the signal is some other format, like DCII, even if the SR is correct.
But once both LOCKs are obtained, if you switch to a tuner status window, it has check boxes for all the different FEC values, and the control app seems to go through all these, until it finds the correct one, then it stays on that. If it's a good strong signal, this all happens so fast, I can hardly see it. After a pause, the two locks pop in, and by the time I get to the FEC window, it's got it figured out. However on weak signals, I've sometimes seen it cycle through the FEC values for 10 or 15 seconds before it settles down. All this AFTER it has locked on the signal, which is what I don't understand. Ie I didn't think it could lock if it didn't know the FEC value. Although I guess that it's possible that it was getting errors, and extracting incorrect values, but I don't think that is what is happening, because it allways goes through the values in order, until if finds one that works.
But even though I don't understand what I'm seeing, it's kind of interesting to watch, particularly on weak signals where it takes a while and you can watch it thinking. :)
The Broadlogic app also shows bit error rates, corrected and uncorrected errors, frequency offset and some other parameters. It's amazing to see the card tabulate 60,000 "corrected" errors, and yet have ZERO "uncorrected" errors.
If you can find them the Broadlogic cards (I think mine is a 1030) are so cheap (I think I paid something like $35) that it's kind of a good investment just to watch the APP, but I use mine to create slow scan spectra, which is really useful to me. A pretty useful card to have, if you have a computer with slots available. If you have a receiver that works with TSREADER (the broadlogic doesn't work very well with TSREADER), TSREADER can help you calculate FEC too. It has a "Mux Bitrate" parameter, and if you feed that and the SR into the FEC calculator someone gave the link to above, it will give you the FEC.
How all this stuff works is my main interest in this hobby. I can spend all day looking at data in TSREADER and the Broadlogic Control App, and never watch any actual video. :)

Aha ! That's a method - changing FEC while matching one will be found. As you can imagine the SW doing the iterations and checking result. Not the other way - like lets try to find best FEC for the low/high signal level.

What exactly BL card you have ? Check for that in Windows Device Manager.
What SW you using ? From V-Box company ?

Here's a link to coolstf 's explanation of FEC, if you haven't seen it already:
COOL.STF
Scroll down to where it says "If you want to know about MPEG2 television click here"

It's not lengthy but I think it helped me "get it" a little better, never understood FEC that well either.

Last edited:
Aha ! That's a method - changing FEC while matching one will be found. As you can imagine the SW doing the iterations and checking result. Not the other way - like lets try to find best FEC for the low/high signal level.

What exactly BL card you have ? Check for that in Windows Device Manager.
What SW you using ? From V-Box company ?

Re the BL card, I assume that question is aimed at me. I think I said above, that it's the 1030 card, not the one that people use for the BLSA. I use it primarily for slow scan spectra
( bjblscan ) .

I don't use the card much for actually viewing programming. I used to use it a bit using DVBAPPS. TSREADER works partially with the card, but there is an issue about it not being able to handle transponders with many PIDs, ie some limit of 8 or 10 PIDs I think), so it only works on some transponders in TSREADER, and TSREADER bombs when you try to restart.

The control APP I referred to comes from the manufacturer of the card. I have to run the control APP before running my spectrum program, in order to set the LO freq, but the control app is also interesting and informative to watch. I don't know if it's method of locking and finding FEC is what is used when a program is using the card for viewing channels or if it is just something that the control app does on it's own. It is interesting though. Yesterday, I had my dish aimed a bit off the AMC9 sat, and told the control app to lock on the RTN transponder, and it had problems, and it was trying every FEC, and at the same time, I was watching the frequency offset window, and I could see it trying to change frequency while searching. It was changing freq in fairly big jumps, I think more than 1 MHz, then trying a couple FEC values. When I bumped the dish onto the sat better, it instantly locked in. Anyway, it's fun to watch.
One problem with the 1030 is that it doesn't have DiseqC control, so I have to slave it to my other receivers, since I'm going through a switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)