.98 spaceway dish

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
Installed this today. First I have seen.

Attachments

• v 019.JPG
    v 019.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 309
  • v 020.JPG
    v 020.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 291
  • v 021.JPG
    v 021.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 300
also, looks like that on a canopy, enterprise perhaps? just out of curiosity, what are the first three letters of the sid?

i was informed today that i'll be lighting up the first 9500 in the nation next week.

Thats awesome. I am very interested in how things go with that. Is it a pilot project? If so which business.

also, looks like that on a canopy, enterprise perhaps? just out of curiosity, what are the first three letters of the sid?

This was a Small & Medium Enterprise job. It only used a 9000 modem with a 2 watt radio. It was on a independent gas station that was using it to hook into there Ruby just like BP. Not sure if you have done any SME jobs but thats what this was they just updated these to the 9000's. I also done another the next day just like this but in a hunting lodge.

I have a question have you done any SWM jobs yet? We have 61 of these that we have had since April but cannot start ours until Aug 25. I got an email today about a heads up on techs accidentally shutting off secondary servers. Know anything about that.

the only sme's IVE done have been 1.8m's w/ 2w tigris @ g16 with hn7000 or 7700's i cant recall which modems. i havent heard anything about shutting off secondary servers....but why would techs be touching equipment that is "not ours"? with sme's, they usually have something in place already, so i usually say "see, it works. have your it guy integrate it into your network." that way i dont risk screwing something up royally.
sme1.jpg
sme2.jpg

sorry tate, i just reread your question. SWM's, yes ive done one (sorry, we were talking sme then swm...im a little slow you know). all of ours were still on hold til recent. i cant even count how many were doing, but yes i did one. the only reason it was done was because it was a store relocate, and they obviously needed the system in and operational. so i did a full install, not a conversion. its not as bad as the spec read, i dont know how anyone could mess up the secondary though. i mean, i do see guys screw stuff once in a great while, but if you read the specs and follow them.......in theory, it should work. trust me, the cutover isnt that bad, it does take 20 plus minutes. actually, now that i think about it, they use a linux based system, and if your screwing around in there, im sure you could fubar the system somehow. but again, if you READ the specs, it clearly states multiple times "IF ANY ERRORS OCCUR STOP AND CALL SCO HELPDESK". i think thats one of the biggest problems, people dont read. guys cant think oh i can fix my mistake, when in actuality you have no clue what your messing with and how its setup or built. to be one the safeside with the swm cutover though, i had the store mgr. -who was obviously fluent in the store system- assist with the cutover process just to make sure "we" werent making any errors. i can honestly say it went fine.

Thats awesome. I am very interested in how things go with that. Is it a pilot project? If so which business.

its a pilot for wyn/whg.

cool.

So Wyndham is spending all this money at the moment to upgrade to the 7700 and now they are trying spaceway equipment. There is no telling how many of those damn Wyndam's I have upgraded this year. The spec says you can use the same IFL but the idiots that done the installs around here the first time half assed it if you know what I mean. I have yet to see one that was grounded correctly. I do like working with the Wyndham support desk though.

Do you know the Engineer thats going to be over the project?

sorry tate, i just reread your question. SWM's, yes ive done one (sorry, we were talking sme then swm...im a little slow you know). all of ours were still on hold til recent. i cant even count how many were doing, but yes i did one. the only reason it was done was because it was a store relocate, and they obviously needed the system in and operational. so i did a full install, not a conversion. its not as bad as the spec read, i dont know how anyone could mess up the secondary though. i mean, i do see guys screw stuff once in a great while, but if you read the specs and follow them.......in theory, it should work. trust me, the cutover isnt that bad, it does take 20 plus minutes. actually, now that i think about it, they use a linux based system, and if your screwing around in there, im sure you could fubar the system somehow. but again, if you READ the specs, it clearly states multiple times "IF ANY ERRORS OCCUR STOP AND CALL SCO HELPDESK". i think thats one of the biggest problems, people dont read. guys cant think oh i can fix my mistake, when in actuality you have no clue what your messing with and how its setup or built. to be one the safeside with the swm cutover though, i had the store mgr. -who was obviously fluent in the store system- assist with the cutover process just to make sure "we" werent making any errors. i can honestly say it went fine.

Yhea I did a full install at the first of the summer for a new store but they had no equipment on site. When I first read over the cutover I was like Holy @$%^. Was the whole store down completely when you done yours or was the store even open at the time?

Yhea I did a full install at the first of the summer for a new store but they had no equipment on site. When I first read over the cutover I was like Holy @$%^. Was the whole store down completely when you done yours or was the store even open at the time?

they are completely down. your on the main terminal reprogramming the entire system. sales need to be done in manual mode, whatever that means to them, and you shutdown and reboot some pcs, the main and secondary will reboot automatically during the cutover procedure. your reprogramming their aml's (handheld thingy), they cant tint any paint, and at the end you stare at the cisco router waiting about 5-10 minutes for a green light to stop blinking. but literally it took 20-30 minutes.

ill agree though, the whg helpdesk is pretty nice, cv guys were great though. i love those guys. i swear every time was a laugh! but you know whos been rough - yum. i dont know if you have any of those down there, they are a fast food franchisee. so you have a spec that covers corp and frach sites, but you have to call yum franch help desk, then they conference in parent company, and LATELY parent company has been reluctant to provide signoff if we arent "hooked up" to the system. for example, after you waited on hold for 20 minutes, and explain that this particular franchise site doens have the 8 port hub for me to connect to, they dont want to sign off. so weve been like ummmm.....there no hub....what the heck am i supposed to do? specs dont call for one, nor do they call for rewiring anything, the idu is pingable, so you know my stuff is operational, ive got the pics to prove it here. its just been kind of a pain.

on another note, how much dsl have you been doing? and hows it been going? im assuming you might know where im going with this one.

also- done any NEW conocos...if not check out the specs! dsl/hn7700s-R (i think is how its written out) dsl, with the 7700 in router mode, not vsat mode.

DSL jobs SUCK!!! I cannot count how many hours I have been on hold with tech support just sitting on DSL jobs. And Yum not only sucks but Yum DSL may be the worst jobs, I don't think anyone at the Yum help desk knows what the hell is going on. I installed one at a new KFC a couple of days ago and it took over 45 minutes to get signed off. I still have not got a clear answer from them what a phase one or phase two install on there side is, I tell them I have nothing in my documentation that tells me which it is.

I did see were they released the new Conoco spec but have not looked at it. Alot of the Conoco's around here are kind of set up like Murphy Oil's. The last one I did was a legacy upgrade that had a 1 inch conduit running from the canopy inside and guess what, its full. It had the single Hughes cable, a Muzak cable, and a couple of intercom cables. I could get a fish tape though but could not pull the cable back all the way. I got with the owner and he did not want me to add another piece of conduit that would have taken 15 min's. He was stuck on me using the existing one. So I called the help desk to get approval to take the existing system down, they say I need to speak with Amber and she is out to lunch. What should have been a 2 to 3 hour job turns out to be 6 hours.

Another company that has just idiots working for them are Walmart. Yes the largest company in the world and perhaps the worst people to deal with when trying to get signed off on a job. I done a disaster recovery one time that was expedited and the paper work had no ip addresses on it. I get there and get signal back with another modem and call them to get the Lan 1 so I can force range the existing modem. For some reason I guess they have never heard of a Lan 1 IP address on a device "I guess its not a common thing :rolleyes:". They keep giving me the management IP which is how they get into the modem on there end. After an hour going back and forth with them I finally had to walk them through it on there end. The bad thing about it is Tag will not help you on jobs like these were customers have there own NOC set up.

lol! not an uncommon response. but i will totally disagree with you. i am the ONLY tech i know of withing a 200 mile radius (guaranteed its that big) that doesnt have a single problem with pearl or pc. yes i do run into the occassional issue with signoff as mentioned, but i swear i run all over the place because for some reason or another with vista build and pearl version it doesnt get completed. fyi- im still running the old pearl software, thats the only reason i still work. version 3.1.1.1 doesnt work, and guess what.....everyone is updated.

lol! not an uncommon response. but i will totally disagree with you. i am the ONLY tech i know of withing a 200 mile radius (guaranteed its that big) that doesnt have a single problem with pearl or pc. yes i do run into the occassional issue with signoff as mentioned, but i swear i run all over the place because for some reason or another with vista build and pearl version it doesnt get completed. fyi- im still running the old pearl software, thats the only reason i still work. version 3.1.1.1 doesnt work, and guess what.....everyone is updated.

Oh no I have never had a problem with Pearl. My problems are mostly phone company related "high CRC errors" or Tango related. I too am still running the old version of the software. Alot of the BP's they want to put DSL in around here are out in the country and the phone lines have been there for 20+ years. Just let me put in a VSAT please. :D

that weird, around here the t1 downs are fine usually around 1600-1700, the ups are usually 160+/-, and ive never had and issues with crc error, but the upload dbs are usually only 10-11. so occasionally someone might complain if you called in for support regarding something else.

im hearing the main problem with pearl is....guess what....VISTA!

that weird, around here the t1 downs are fine usually around 1600-1700, the ups are usually 160+/-, and ive never had and issues with crc error, but the upload dbs are usually only 10-11. so occasionally someone might complain if you called in for support regarding something else.

im hearing the main problem with pearl is....guess what....VISTA!

This is an old bellsouth L2 area. I would say 50% of the DSL jobs I have to call Tag and they have to call now AT&T to get them to change the DSL profile to a noise profile. The reason why is I will only have say 8db on the download side. When Tango sees this it will not let me complete the software download, even though the speeds are fine which are usually around 1500.

Tomorrow I finally get to start of the Best Western jobs we have had for 6 months. :D Do you know what day the 9500 will be lit?

were about done with the bw's. they were pretty easy, generally speaking. they only problem is trying to find a new poe on the multi-level concrete buildings. be ready to every now and then run thru 3-5 floors of electrical closets, the across a drop ceiling for a ways. also, have fun pulling thru conduit tht was run under a parking lot to a pole mount.

according to my schedule im doing the 9500 on wed or thurs. ill be sure to let you know how it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)