A Baseball Announcer Admits He Doesn't Watch/Enjoy Baseball

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Found this out on Awful Announcing (Good site, BTW):

Awful Announcing: Joe Buck Admits He Rarely Watches Sports And Doesn't Enjoy Baseball Anymore

Think about this: the top announcer in the sport admits he doesn't follow the game a lot, thinks it is too long and would rather watch some other ridiculous stuff.

As a Sabres fan and a hockey fan, I can't imagine if Rick Jeanneret ever would say hockey is too long or that he doesn't enjoy the game.

Or Mike Emrick or Bob Cole or Jim Hughson.

Ditto for other sports.

Can you see guys like Mike Breen, Dick Stockton, or Marv Albert ever saying that they don't really follow basketball and don't enjoy it?

A lot of people bash Dick Vitale, but at least he cares about college hoops and gives a damn about his job.

Last edited:
You can tell that Buck has been "phoning it in" for quite some time. If he is ever enthusiastic, it is fake. The final calls in the last few World Series games leaves nothing for history (aka "The Giants win the pennant, the Giants win the pennant").

I tire very quickly for the announcers who start complaining about a game going into extra innings. The Pads announcers do that often.

You can tell that Buck has been "phoning it in" for quite some time. If he is ever enthusiastic, it is fake. The final calls in the last few World Series games leaves nothing for history (aka "The Giants win the pennant, the Giants win the pennant").

I tire very quickly for the announcers who start complaining about a game going into extra innings. The Pads announcers do that often.

Interesting ....
I would not expect him to do "The Giants win the pennant, the Giants win the pennant" bit EVER, unless it was his HOME team.

I think Buck is from St. Louis....
What did he sound like at the end of the WS against the Tigers a few years ago, that would be a more telling tale.

Jimbo

That's interesting. I find the same thing when he's doing the games. I usually turn down the volume and enjoy.

I put Buck next to our President, James Dolan, Al Gore, etc, as people who would be pumping gas, if not for their fathers. :)

Dope.

I put Buck next to our President, James Dolan, Al Gore, etc, as people who would be pumping gas, if not for their fathers. :)

Dope.

I agree.

If he doesn't enjoy it, then QUIT!!!

Do you think a chef likes to cook during his time off from the job? It's stupid that Buck admitted it, but I can thoroughly understand. Baseball is a drag to watch.

Do you think a chef likes to cook during his time off from the job? It's stupid that Buck admitted it, but I can thoroughly understand. Baseball is a drag to watch.

Well, I'd really find it really disappointing if I found out Bobby Flay orders fast food instead of cooking for himself at home. This is essentially what Joe Buck is saying when he said he'd rather watch the Bachelorette instead of an MLB game!

Even more reason to despise the guy. Sabres, you asked a question in the "Least Favorite Broadcasters" thread as to why everyone didn't like Joe. Well, I think the answer is pretty evident now! The guy had a door opened for him by his late father Jack, an opportunity in which TONS of struggling folks in the sports media world would love to have. He shows absolutely no emotion or passion for this rather prestigious position. This is a complete slap in the face to all the kids who grew up wanting to be in a position that he's in and have a career in affiliation with the game they love. Joe Buck, if your father heard you say this, I'm sure he'd roll over in his grave!

My revised list of least favorite broadcasters.....

1. Joe Buck :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
2. Bryant Gumbel (at least the guy appeared to not loathe his profession!)
3. Ian Eagle and Solomon Wilcots

What a shame. Jack Buck was the best baseball broadcaster ever (well, Vin Scully is pretty good too, and so was Ernie Harwell), and obviously enjoyed his job. I still get chills when I hear him call the Kirk Gibson home run from the '88 World Series.

Well, I'd really find it really disappointing if I found out Bobby Flay orders fast food instead of cooking for himself at home. This is essentially what Joe Buck is saying when he said he'd rather watch the Bachelorette instead of an MLB game!

Even more reason to despise the guy. Sabres, you asked a question in the "Least Favorite Broadcasters" thread as to why everyone didn't like Joe. Well, I think the answer is pretty evident now! The guy had a door opened for him by his late father Jack, an opportunity in which TONS of struggling folks in the sports media world would love to have. He shows absolutely no emotion or passion for this rather prestigious position. This is a complete slap in the face to all the kids who grew up wanting to be in a position that he's in and have a career in affiliation with the game they love. Joe Buck, if your father heard you say this, I'm sure he'd roll over in his grave!

My revised list of least favorite broadcasters.....

1. Joe Buck :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
2. Bryant Gumbel (at least the guy appeared to not loathe his profession!)
3. Ian Eagle and Solomon Wilcots

This gets my vote for post of the year!!!

HDMM,
kudos............you hit this one out of the park!!! Joe Buck is nothing more than a narcissistic a-hole!!!

That's interesting. I've always thought Buck was pretty good on FOX's NFL broadcasts, but really lousy on baseball.
I guess this explains why.

Of course, if I had to work with Tim McCarver I might grow tired of baseball as well. ;)

Then I think FOX should immediately replace him in the booth. He has NO drawing power in his name, so what is the use of keeping him? Let him call football if he wants.

He shows absolutely no emotion or passion for this rather prestigious position. This is a complete slap in the face to all the kids who grew up wanting to be in a position that he's in

Yet another reason why I was very fortunate to live in Buffalo as a Sabres fan for many years- I'm sure you all know about Rick Jeanneret.

This gets my vote for post of the year!!!

HDMM,
kudos............you hit this one out of the park!!!

Bill,

you mentioned how you don't like Red Sox radio voice Joe Castigilione.

As much as he may grate on you, at least he CARES and ENJOYS the game he calls.

Oh, and I can't forget- you also grew up with a great hockey announcer as well.

Then I think FOX should immediately replace him in the booth. He has NO drawing power in his name, so what is the use of keeping him? Let him call football if he wants.

Actually that name does have a lot of drawing power. But I still can't believe he said that. it is sort of like when Cybill Shepherd was the spokesperson for the beef Council and she told an interviewer she never eats it.

Bill,

you mentioned how you don't like Red Sox radio voice Joe Castigilione.

As much as he may grate on you, at least he CARES and ENJOYS the game he calls.

In the interest of full disclosure, I ran into Castiglione sometime in the early 90's. I struck up a conversation with him about how it would be great if the Red Sox could acquire Marquis Grissom (whom I coveted at the time). His reply was "yup" while looking at me like I was something on the bottom of his shoe, and then walked away. I was talking to an aquaintance of mine a couple of years ago and he told me he had a similar encounter with Castiglione. Coincidence......I tend to think not. So while I NEVER liked his broadcasting style, I admit I might be a little jaded when it comes to him.

Oh, and I can't forget- you also grew up with a great hockey announcer as well.

Actually I was fortunate to grow up with three great hockey announcers for the Bruins:

Fred Cusick and Johnny Peirson on television.
Bob Wilson on the radio.

I watched the game last night and heard what Joe Buck said. You're all taking it out of context. What he said was, that he enjoyed watching the Cards play and that he watches it with his daughter. And that sometimes the games run long and that she would rather watch the bachellorette! It's wrong to compare Joe to Jack. They each have their own unique style. If you don't like his style, then don't listen to it!!

I watched the last night's game also. Joe Buck said he came to the Cards games with his daughter and her friends. He also said he watches the Cards when they are winning the games and if they are losing he will change the channel.

I watched the last night's game also. Joe Buck said he came to the Cards games with his daughter and her friends. He also said he watches the Cards when they are winning the games and if they are losing he will change the channel.

Maybe I blew the story out of context...

If this is true (and I did NOT hear that), then I feel like a fool.

Maybe I blew the story out of context...

If this is true (and I did NOT hear that), then I feel like a fool.

Sabres,

no need to apologize. Even if you did take the quote out of context, the fact remains......Joe Buck has been a pompous jerk for years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts