a cable question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Is there a meaningful difference between rg6 cable vs rg58 cable? I recently dug out my old radio shack police/air scanner, and bought an outdoor antenna for it.
I only have a box of tv cable, rg6 , which I think is listed as 75ohm cable so I used that. Seems to work very well, hearing aircraft traffic all over the southeast. But today I ran across the manual for the scanner and it says to use 50ohm cable for an outdoor antenna, rg58.
Would there be any big difference in reception of vhf/aircraft band frequencies if I switched to this rg58 cable? Its about 50' cable run.

my response

After giving up too easily and posting this mystery that nobody can answer, I took back to the search engine again, and found some interesting diatribes on the subject. Microwaves101 has a nice explanation of the puzzle. Most of it went over my head, LogD's and algorithms etc, but mostly it seems to be a concern of which cable type to use if you're transmitting, rather than receiving, and at what frequency. Several sites had the opinion that if the frequency range was below 600mhz then there wasn't much difference in the two types of cable, even using the wrong connectors on one or the other didn't matter much below 600mhz.
So my scanner setup should be a-ok, as is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts