A Coolsat 8000HD Review

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know exactly who you mean. After reading that, I just had to try it on my DM500 since I have the component SCART already, the little guy won't do it.

although you can stream the HD video to your computer, and using vlc decode the video. but because the ac3 is outputed direct from the dreambox, and the computer is only decoding the video, they'll never be in sync :(

although you can stream the HD video to your computer, and using vlc decode the video. but because the ac3 is outputed direct from the dreambox, and the computer is only decoding the video, they'll never be in sync :(

Yeah I tried that with VLC, on Movie Central HD and PBS, it pixelated pretty badly over the network.

found another neat feature with the box :)

Lets just say it involves the audio on PBS and my TV. yes the box will decode AC-3 and output it to your TV just like any other channel :D

Assuming you mean it outputs via the normal L+R audio jacks? Yes it can be a handy feature, the Quali-TV does this also.

Hello everyone, I'm a complete newby to satellite things, but definitely not to home theater/electronics. I purhcased a Coolsat 8000HD which got to my supplier on Monday, Jan 29 from Coolsat. My goal is picking up the PBS HD channel on AMC 3. I have a 36" dish and a dual lnbf and all that stuff, though I have not yet put it up. After reading this thread I'm very concerned about being able to pick it up at all. I have a few questions if anyone cares to indulge me:

1) If there really is no QPSK support in the earlier models, how can I know if there is/isn't on this one? I did receive a manual with mine, in the back of which QPSK demodulation is listed as one of its abilities. I have gone into the satellite setup and I see options for diseqc, plus I see a list of the birds including the satellite I want at 87° W. It seems to me this should work then, no? Or will it not output the true 1080i HD through the component/hdmi, simply because it's not getting it from its atsc receiver? If this is the case, what can I do about it? I'd reflash my receiver's firmware if needed, but I need some direction on where to find the bin files. I have no interest in decrypting anything, just want what I'm legally entitled to get for free. So if someone doesn't want to give out the information to everyone perhaps they can pm me. Since this model doesn't have the USB port, do I use the serial connection to do the flashing? Or do I open it up and find the usb port inside?

2) On the ATSC front, Scanning and re-scanning even with the steps set to 0 does not seem to help when trying to find the two channels that are missing. One of the DT channels here locally (KOCO ABC) is VHF... so I'm wondering if it's even able to see that frequency. The other however - 43 My Network, is also not showing up. Both channels are received fine with good signal strength on my other atsc tuner.

3) The EPG is not working. I've got the time set to TDT. I'm wondering if this is related to the channel #s not showing up right. The EPG on my other atsc tuner does work.

My H/W version is 1.00.00
S/W Version is 11.13.4A

If anybody has any ideas, or any help at all, that would be much, much appreciated!

welcome :wave

1) If there really is no QPSK support in the earlier models, how can I know if there is/isn't on this one?
when you fire it up, the options for install will be dish, auto scan-sat, manual scan-sat, auto scan-dtv & manual scan-dtv. If the box is an earlier model, it doesn't have any way to scan DVB stuff

I did receive a manual with mine, in the back of which QPSK demodulation is listed as one of its abilities. I have gone into the satellite setup and I see options for diseqc, plus I see a list of the birds including the satellite I want at 87° W. It seems to me this should work then, no?
since you mention it shows 87W then yes it will work.
Or will it not output the true 1080i HD through the component/hdmi, simply because it's not getting it from its atsc receiver? If this is the case, what can I do about it?
it should output 1080i I dont have a HDTV yet so I can't comment but when you scan in PBS HD, it shows 1080i for the output
I'd reflash my receiver's firmware if needed, but I need some direction on where to find the bin files. I have no interest in decrypting anything, just want what I'm legally entitled to get for free.
you should be all set as long as you have the satellite option :)
Since this model doesn't have the USB port, do I use the serial connection to do the flashing? Or do I open it up and find the usb port inside?
null modem cable works fine

2) On the ATSC front, Scanning and re-scanning even with the steps set to 0 does not seem to help when trying to find the two channels that are missing. One of the DT channels here locally (KOCO ABC) is VHF... so I'm wondering if it's even able to see that frequency. The other however - 43 My Network, is also not showing up. Both channels are received fine with good signal strength on my other atsc tuner.
I can't find the post but its in here how to set it up.
edit: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=793601&postcount=36
post 36 through 45 in this thread mentions the different steps

I set it to 1000k steps
as for the VHF one, I checked and the DT channel is channel 7 so input the numbers as 174–216 MHz: TV channels 7 through 13. So the low would be 174000 and the high would be 216000. This will get you channel 7. If the rest are UHF, use 460000 through 806000 and that will get the rest of the DT channels on UHF. I was able to get them setting it to 1000k steps
3) The EPG is not working. I've got the time set to TDT. I'm wondering if this is related to the channel #s not showing up right. The EPG on my other atsc tuner does work.
same here. No EPG :(
Originally I did but my box had no DVB option so I had to load some 3rd party stuff into it. It doesn't give me any channels extra that I shouldn't get but gave me the DVB option for PBS HD

I do like the fact it outputs AC-3 without an external receiver

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm going to get a compass and get to work putting the dish up ont he roof. That is if it doesn't snow again today.

Jonathan

How's the motor control? I would assume just as good as the other coolsats.

works really good. It's damn near bang on for USALS but my motor is kinda goofy with USALS. That and the fact its -12 out didn't help

on the plus side, the motor runs like a champ even in this cold :)

How about the signal-quality meter? Is it the same as the Coolsat 5000 or have they put a real meter in this one?

yes and no

reason I say that is the other day I had a feed that locked at 43. The CS5000 showed 68 but when I am on G10 normally the CS5000 shows 72-73 on the 2 main Equity muxes but the 8000 shows 99

I've seen locks on 43 up to 99 and everything in between. The weaker channels (PBS) will stay around 75 so I really don't know what to think with the meter.

I'm going to go through the channels today and see what kind of signals show.

So what you are saying that the First Generation 8000Ds you were only able to pickup OTA HD and analog programing ONLY(Unless you download 3rd party software?}
And you were unable to use the DVB without the 3rd party software?
Also does the 8000D have some sort of a Blind Scan or smart scan for DVBs stations.......
Just hate to buy the unit and it will not work on the OUTDOOR channel in HD on
G10.......Unless they have the newer units out now?????JohnnyT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts