A Coolsat 8000HD Review

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crawfrdb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Well folks, here are my first impressions of my new Coolsat 8000HD receiver arrived today by FedEx from sat-sales.com.
UPDATE: I'm adding a description of the my setup and cables used between components.

I've never used a Coolsat brand receiver before and this was a very poor first impression. I can only hope this is not their best work and that their other receivers enjoy a good following.
Any comments and input appreciated.
Thanks.

There are a lot of problems with this unit out of the box.
In this post:
1. Summary of initial issues/observations
2. Detail of the issues
3. Detail of the menus of the unit

Summary of issues
-----------------
1. The free DiSeqC switch cited in the dealer's order page was missing in the
shipment.
2. No documentation whatsoever is included in the unit.
3. Loose screw inside unit (easy fix).
4. Satellite antenna input port includes label "DVB-S2" !!!
5. No clear way to switch between ATSC and DVB tuner.
6. VSB, QAM64 and QAM256 are the only modulation types that can be selected
anywhere (no mention of QPSK or 8PSK). See the menu detail below.
7. No USB port exists on the receiver as stated on the order page.
8. A scan of the US UHF TV broadcast band found no ATSC channels.

Detail of the issues
--------------------

My setup (not high end but it all works):
A Sony KV34 Digital TV
34" 16:9 Widescreen Tube
Inputs:
DVI
Component
S-Video
Composite
S/PDIF (fiber optic audio)
Conventional RCA R/L

Samsung HT-DB600
Integrated DVD Surround Sound Receiver
Outputs:
Component
S-Video
Composite
S/PDIF
Conventional RCA R/L
Inputs:
Component (for passthru to the outputs)

Motorola HDT100
ATSC Digital TV Tuner
Outputs:
Component
S-Video
Composite
S/PDIF
Conventional RCA R/L

Connections used:
HDMI->DVI connection between 8000HD and TV
S/PDIF fiber optic audio between 8000HD and HT-DB600
Conventional RCA R/L between 8000HD and TV
When used:
Component between HDT100 and TV
S/PDIF fiber optic audio between HDT100 and HT-DB600

The unit was advertised with a price of $448.00 with free shipping and was to include a free 4x1 DiSeq switch which was not included with the shipment.

The unit came with HDMI, component and composite video cables which was a nice touch. The package also included a multi-functional remote.

Either the documentation was removed somewhere after it was shipped from the Korean factory or the manufacturer never included the documentation to begin with. In any case, this is not helpful given the unique dual tuner configuration. As indicated later in this posting, it is not immediately intuitive from the menu setup how to select between the two tuners. The outside of the box echos the common list of features listed on several web sites already. The logos that appear on the outside of the box include "HD TV", "HDMI", "EPG", "TELE TEXT", "OSD", "MPEG", "Dolby Digital BITSTREAM OUT", "DiSeqC1.2", "DVB Digital Video Broadcasting", "HDTV". Descriptions in both English and French are listed on the box. In English:
-MPEG 2 & MPEG 4 Support High-Definition (ATSC Only)
-Digital Terrestrial (ATSC) & Satellite Set-Top-Box (TX Combo)
-Multiple Video Outputs- HDMI, RGB, Ypbpr, S-Video & CVBS
-Selectable output for 1080i, 720p, 576p & 576i format
-Tunes and decodes all 18 ATSC broadcast formats
-Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 Channel Surround Sound via optical
-16:9 High Definition Flat Widescreen
-USB 2.0 port for SW update
-Multi-lingual audio and digital closed caption support
(I'll spare you the french- you get the idea).

The next problem encountered with the receiver was the sound of a screw rattling loose inside the receiver when removed from the shipping box.

After carefully removing three small machine screws on the back face of the unit and removing the cover, two circuit boards were found. One was a power supply board and another was the receiver board itself which included two small RF shielded boxes, presumably one was the ATSC tuner and the other was the satellite DVB tuner. One female F connector mounted at the back face of the unit labeled "Dish In" (presumed to be the DVB tuner) was connected to one tuner and "Signal In" (presumed to be the ATSC tuner) was connected to the other tuner.

One curious label at the back face of the tuner, directly beneath the satellite antenna input, was the label "DVB-S2." I was not aware that this receiver supported DVB-S2.

The loose screw noted above turned out to be the fourth anchor screw to the power supply board. This screw was easily secured and the cover was replaced and secured.

Next, with the unit powered off of course, the satellite connection coming from my 4x1 DiSeq was connected to the "Dish In" input and an terrestrial antenna cable was connected to "Signal In". There is also a "Loop Out" connection but not used since this is the only satellite receiver being used for this test. Given the lack of success with these connections, perhaps "loop through" connections are warranted, passing the "Loop Out" port into the "Signal In" with both the satellite and terrestrial receivers somehow connected in common through a multiswitch???? Any ideas????

I've worked previously with PanSat, PowerSat and Geosat brand receivers and found their menu setups easy to learn. I found the menus on the Coolsat 8000HD impossible. There is no obvious way to switch between the ATSC and DVB tuner. Note also in the scan menu detail below that only VSB, QAM64 and QAM256 are options- no mention of QPSK/4PSK or 8PSK! This would seem to be the closest possible option anywhere in the menus of how to select between tuners but this would not appear to be the case. A quick look at the wikipedia article on DVB-T (the terrestrial digital TV broadcast standard in use in Europe and other points outside north america) describe the use of OFDM (also used for WiFi) over QAM, 16QAM and 64QAM. This would explain the 64QAM in the terrestrial scan parameters but don't know why they're using 256QAM unless it was merely implemented in the chipset they selected for the product and it was decided to pass this capability through to the user for some future application.

Once powered on, the receiver proceeds to a blue screen with an image of the planet earth.

The receiver has no initial channel setup in memory so the first obvious operation is to open the menu and scan somehow but the way to do this was not obvious. The menus are very minimal and described below. The main menu offers five submenus. Each submenu is show below followed by a colon ( : ) and the choices presented under that menu.

Also noted on the unit: There is no USB port as advertised on the sat-sales.com order page for this unit. The US UHF TV band was scanned, using the center frequency for channels 14 (471250 KHz) as the start and 69 (801250 KHz) for the end with a 6000 KHz step size, selecting "VSB" for the modulation type. No channels were found. Perhaps other search options might work such as using the bottom edge for the start (470000KHz) and the top top of the band with a smaller step size but it is difficult to know a priori what would work. In any case, the default frequences found for this were in the UHF terrestrial TV broadcast band.

There is no mention of DiSeqC anywhere in the menus.

It would appear from all of this that a firmware upgrade is warranted. The designated repair center for this unit will be contacted monday morning for further direction on all of this.

Main and Sub Menu selections
----------------------------
Installation: Auto Scan
Manual Scan

-Auto Scan:
Start Frequency (KHz): (enter using 0-9 keys on remote)

End Frequency (KHz): (0-9)

Step Frequency (KHz): (0-9)

Scan Mode: Free
CAS
Free+CAS

Service Type: TV
Radio
TV+Radio

Modulation: VSB
QAM64
QAM256

-Manual Scan: Frequency: (0-9)

CAS
Free+CAS

Radio
TV+Radio

QAM64
QAM256

System Setting: A/V Output Setting
Language
Time Setting
Security Setting
OSD Setting

-A/V Output Setting: TV Screen: 16:9
4:3
4:3 Letter Box

Dolby Digital(DD): Enable
Disable

Digital Audio: Dolby Digital(DD)
PCM

-Language: Display: (A generous assortment of languages to
choose from)

Audio 1: (Same)

Audio 2: (Same)

-Time Setting: Time Mode: TDT
User Mode

Day light saving: Enable
Disable

Start day: "03/Last/Sun/02"
[this is not user editable]

End day: "10/Last/Sun/03"
[this is not user editable]

Following fields appear only when "Time Mode" is set to "User Mode"
Year: (0-9, YYYY format)
Month: (1-12)
Day: (1-28,29,30 or 31)
Hour: (0-23)
Minute: (0-59)

-Security Setting: Password: New
[apparently selected to choose a new password from default '0000']

Rating: View All

-OSD Setting:
Banner Display Time: (0-9 Seconds)

Screen Saver: 60 min
120 min
Disable
5 min
10 min
20 min
30 min

OSD Mixweight: High
Low
Middle

Channel: Reservation [use of these menus not possible- when tried,
Delete unit reports: "No Channel Installed. Please scan
first]

Advanced: Reset Factory Default [this selection should be obvious to the reader]

H/W Version: 1.00
S/W Version: 1.00.0A
Loader Version: 1.08

Last edited:
No USB port ? Are you sure

Well 1st let me just say, you have excellent writing skills.

Some of the problems , such as no manual is the sellers fault, give them a call.

I'm not familiar with the terminology, such as Qam , I would be dissapointed too if I had no manual , not that they do much good.

The loose screw , Sh*t happens but it definitely factored in your review .

Once you figure it out , I mean you just got it so give it some time , write a follow up.

Your first impression leaves alot to be desired from coolsat , lets hope they didn't rush to get this unit out . Good luck , hope to see a follow up review.

No USB port ? Are you sure

Yes. The lower half of the front face of the unit appears as though it could be a door that can be opened to reveal additional controls/features. This is apparent by examination of the front-bottom of there unit where this possible door appears to have hinges. This 'door' however seems to be sealed. Perhaps a later HW rev will make use of this.

I can't wait to hear from the repair center as to what this "DVB-S2" means on the rear face under the "Dish IN" satellite antenna input port. Maybe a misprint, or ???

QAM64 and QAM256 I think are used for US cable TV transmission. I don't remember where it is used in Europe.

Thanks for the Review, but until you get something to scan in, it seems sort of moot. In your "Summery of Issues" #5, you say "No clear way to switch between ATSC and DVB tuner.". I would think there should be a button on the remote that says: "TV/SAT", and this might/should do the trick?

Al

Thanks for the Review, but until you get something to scan in, it seems sort of moot. In your "Summery of Issues" #5, you say "No clear way to switch between ATSC and DVB tuner.". I would think there should be a button on the remote that says: "TV/SAT", and this might/should do the trick?

Al

Good suggestion. I thought this would be on the remote but there is no button with this exactly.

Here is a summary of the remote buttons, left to right, top to bottom:

TV/STB, Power
TV, VCR, DVD, STB
Back, 0, TV/Rad
MENU, EPG, INFO, EXIT

OK [surrounded by up, down, left, right]
A-Z, Mute
V+, ^, CH+
.....PG.......
V-....v..CH-
[typical DVR controls such as play rewind, etc]
colored, unmarked buttons
Red, Green, Yellow Blue
OPT, A/V+, FAV, FUNC

The FUNC button cycles through the supported output screen resolutions
1080i, 576p, 576i, 480p). The other three buttons return the message
"No Channel Installed. Please scan first"

Don't know if they will be the same as on a 5000, but the color buttons, for red it's "Recall", as in previous channel (which I would think as the same as your "Back" button), for green it's "Audio" (which would allow for audio subchannels), for yellow it's "Color Adjustments", and for blue it's to bring up "Multiple Screens".

Al

nice work

When I got excited about the too-long discussion thread on this unit, I did some research myself.
It was pretty obvious it was limited to hi def terrestrial, and since that didn't interest me, I dropped the unit.
But, not before noting on a seller's page that "the first shipment would be without the USB connector".
So, this isn't really surprising.

Sorry to hear you are manual-less. That bites.
Hope you will continue working with it and let us know more good stuff as you find it.

And, feel free to include some pictures of the inside, if you can. :)

QAM64 and QAM256 I think are used for US cable TV transmission. I don't remember where it is used in Europe.

You are correct, QAM is digital cable. A clear QAM-capable tuner is a plus, although from your review it seems this receiver might be a prototype. Perhaps once you are able to switch tuners, the QPSK option will come up.

i know some site have listed the first units wouldn't have usb ports but units shipping later would have usb support.

I had read this also, however, sat-sales unfortunately advertised their offering with the USB port.

Some minor success has been achieved with the 8000HD receiver.

UPDATE: I am updating this post with the information that the 720p output of the receiver was distorted. The best description of this is that it is similar to "cross-hatching" on an analog TV signal. The distortion flutters and is not static. 1080i fortunately does not display this problem. My set does not support any 576 display so I cannot comment on the quality of those resolutions.

To it's credit, the 1080i picture looks flawless- even better than the old Motorola HDT100 on either
720p or 1080i. Note that the best video output interface on the Motorola unit was component video. The better gold-color connectors were used. For the Coolsat setup, I am using a HDMI -> DVI cable into the DVI input on my digital television set. A fiber optic audio cable is being used between the 8000HD and my surround sound receiver. A conventional RCA audio connection was also made between the 8000HD and my television set.

Terrestrial operation has been found. There does not appear to be any satellite DVB capability with this unit at all. No insignificant absence given the $450 price tag.

First, a little clarification. The terrestrial "signal in" port at the back is connected to a Radio Shack VU-190 on the roof. While there is some chatter on the net about this being a somewhat less than optimal performing antenna given it's size (it's probably the largest yagi on the market), I do get great local reception with it. It is a highly directional antenna and more than adequate for the 10 mile path distance to the local TV transmitter hill. The antenna works perfectly with the previously used external digital tuner box, a Motorola HDT100. There is ample signal level on all local terrestrial digital channels.

After trying several combinations of "Auto Scan" parameters, here is the combination that finally found local stations:

Start Frequency (KHz): 470000
End Frequency (KHz): 806000
Step Frequency: (KHz): 1250 (minimum step size seems to be 1000)

The following scan settings didn't work, nor did many others.
I don't know why.
Start Frequency (KHz): 471250
End Frequency (KHz): 801250
Step Frequency: (KHz): 1000 or 1250

Not all of the local channels are seen by the unit.
The unit does not find EPG for any of the local channels even though they are present in the signal and can be viewed with the Motorola HDT100.

The unit has a good user menu, user interface and clean presentation of signal information it is capable of receiving.

I have not yet figured out how to put the receiver into DVB satellite reception. The frequency upper limit of the Auto Scan is 999999KHz which means this scan is only meant for local terrestrial channels.

Perhaps a Coolsat user out there with a recent unit has the same remote and can offer suggestion as to how to put the receiver into satellite mode?

Thanks.

Last edited:
the coolsat 5000 you jump between the satellite/radio satellite with that button
you would probably use the satellite/tv button to toggle betwen the other two

the coolsat 5000 you jump between the satellite/radio satellite with that button
you would probably use the satellite/tv button to toggle betwen the other two

In terrestrial reception mode, the satellite tv/satellite radio button does nothing.

well i can only guess .. some screenshots of the menus would be nice too

my basic setup had to go through the menu system to setup satellites , add a satellite and then the sat button works. the sat/radio buton might not work if no satellites have been setup .

There is no obvious way to add a satellite. There is no satellite database anywhere in the menus. There is no reference to satellite operation anywhere.

Stinks that they didn't include a manual. I just looked at the CoolsatUSA website and from the specs listed on this page: http://www.coolsatusa.com/8000hd.htm
it would appear that the 8000 HD only does HD for Over-The-Air channels only.
No mention of handling satellite delivered HD such as that from PBS on AMC3.
If that's the case then dealers are misleading people about the receiver. BUT,
it could be that the ability to do Sat HD is not documented. Since a lot of their target audience pirate DVB signals, then they may be leaving it up to 3rd party developers to make the receivers work for sat HD. Hope you get it going and figured out. I would definately contact the dealer about the missing manual.
If that doesn't work, contact Coolsat USA.
grusome

That sucks,,,,I was waiting for the first review before I would get a 8000D....
I mean since most have DVB receivers,I would think a Cheap over the air Samsung at less then $150 at Cicuit City would do the job if your only looking for over the air Uhf/Vhf stations...
But most want a HD DVB receiver with builtin OTA reception.....
geeeee this is a really let me down and I was hoping to watch the Outdoor Channel on HD with the 8000D if it got a good review......
Yes I read where this unit is for Hackers mostly.......................
Hope your next review you will be picking up PBS and Outdorchannels in HD...JT

WOW , looks like this baby can do HD DVB. Seems to have been confirmed elsewhere.

I am not putting a link to where I got this info , but this receiver just got a boost of confidence.

NO PM's please.

Sadly this receiver was rushed out too soon, from what I've read , in order to have HD Satellite capabilities , 3rd party software must be used and once used the atsc ota tuner does not work. Read it handles QPSK , now I would just like to know if you can at least get FTA PBS HD.

This is so sad that you have to use 3rd party firmware to get this thing working for FTA.

Looks like alot of people are having similar problems and no manuals.

Yeah, I read the same info today. Sure, get 3rd part firmware, get FTA HD etc, but lose ATSC abilities. To get ATSC back, you gotta reflash back to factory. Kind of sad the only site with info is one that caters to the hackers

Sounds to me like Coolsat rushed this sucker. Probably only a matter of time before FTA and ATSC HD is possible.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts