A Couple of XTREMELY basic questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

benh

Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Before I invest the time and $ in FTA equip, I want to know if I will even get any reasonable programming from where I live. I have a south/southwest view from my house rooftop, but only from the roof pitch (up) to vertical. Will I likely get a view of the birds I need? FYI, I've been using Dish Net service from the same installation location without problems. Also, I am located in Mission Viejo, CA, lat. 33.6, long. -117.7 .... So does that mean I will only be looking at satellites with a reference name EchoWhatever 110 to SomethingSat 123? Is the number correlated to the longitude?

Thanks in advance.

FTA is worth the trip

Good Day and Welcome !!!!:welcome

I have found true FTA to be a very fun experience and is very much worth it!!

The First Satellite I went for was 123W (then called Galaxy 10R) now Galaxy 18

The best thing about 123W is the Retro Television Network (RTN)

Welcome to RTN the Retro Television Network

Many fine sponsers here but many times you can find a free or close to free dish from PrimeStar or DirecPC if you are willing to ask around or take one down from someone who no longer uses an old dish.

Also, recievers can be found for less than $100 (Fortec Star Mercury II) is one example.

Do Not try to use a DISH or DirecTV dish for FTA (it can work, but is very hard for a beginner)

Live it up - - - but be warned this hobby is very addictive! :)

What are FTA birds, and can I see them?

Welcome, fellow Californian!
Yes, the satellites are often referred to by their orbital location.
So, the Dish 119 bird is 23,000 miles above the equator, just a little west of us.

Other satellite naming is a bit more confusing, and is related to the name given them by their makers.
So, when we say Galaxy 10r was recently replaced by Galaxy 18, you have to know or look up where it is parked (at 123° west).

There are a lot of satellites providing true FTA service to us.
However, the term "FTA" has been corrupted to also mean: "stealing satellite service from Dish Network satellites"
At this forum, we only deal with the former.
So, if you're willing to put up a 36" dish to partake of the fun, we can really help. - :D

To get started, make a printout of all the satellites.
Then, using the device described below, look from where you want to put your dish, and see if you have a clear view of the sky.
If you do, your dish can see the given bird.

ThisBUDsForYou and his soda straw inclinometer
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...a-straw-inclinometer-line-sight-pictures.html
Delta Charlie had some variation on the idea, too
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/146479-15-min-duct-tape-elevation-gauge.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)