A couple qestions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tim Godsil

On Vacation
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
I installed a pole in the ground for future fta stuff.:D It was a little dark outside when i leveled the pole. I filled it with cement, a good tip :eureka is to bolt a ubolt on the pole to keep it from rotating. But my question is, :what when I leveled the pole ,the bubble is between the lines [0], but the bubble is not PERFECTLY in center of those two lines. How bad will this make my signal? :river I added some pics to show what i mean. :eek:

Attachments

• DSC00377.JPG
    DSC00377.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC00380.JPG
    DSC00380.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC00381.JPG
    DSC00381.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC00383.JPG
    DSC00383.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 127
I think you'll be fine if that is your level line all around the pole.

Btw, you win the award for most emoticons in a post and welcome to satguys.

What to do? (Newbie Qestions)

I am going to get a fta dish soon. I have a few questions.:confused:
1. I Live in the Midwest, will a 31" (80cm) work or should I kick it up to a 36"" (90cm)?
2. I want to be able to get linear and circular polarities. Should i get a multi lnb holder for a 40 mm clamp dish with a circular lnb in one hole and a linear in the other, or should i get a linear-circular lnb?
3. I bought a microyal (el cheapo) receiver off ebay. Will it be able to be compatible with all the H-H motors, or do i need a specific one?
4. I have about 200ft of rg6 from the (soon to be) dish and the receiver, how much will this cut down on the signal?
5. I looked on lyngsat.com and it said there about 30 tv channels that are free to air, do more people get more then this? (could someone give me a channel count?)

1. Will microyal mrx-1000 receiver work with the STAB motors?
2. Easiest way to pull circular and linear sats?
3. If i point my dish to a E* bird (using a legal receiver) to get nasa and the muzak channels will my receiver be hit with an ecm?
4. I live in midwest, will a 31" dish do or should i get a 36"?
5. What is the number of channels you can get with a fta receiver? (actual channel count maybe?)

1. Will microyal mrx-1000 receiver work with the STAB motors?
yes
3. If i point my dish to a E* bird (using a legal receiver) to get nasa and the muzak channels will my receiver be hit with an ecm?
nope b/c the channels are unencrypted

4. I live in midwest, will a 31" dish do or should i get a 36"?
31" would work fine. I'm in MN and have very few issues. But the biggest dish you can get the better

1. I Live in the Midwest, will a 31" (80cm) work or should I kick it up to a 36"" (90cm)?
answered above
2. I want to be able to get linear and circular polarities. Should i get a multi lnb holder for a 40 mm clamp dish with a circular lnb in one hole and a linear in the other, or should i get a linear-circular lnb?
I use 2 LNB's and just hoseclamp them together. I have a bunch of old DIrecTV LNB's around so I didnt need to get the linear/circular combo
3. I bought a microyal (el cheapo) receiver off ebay. Will it be able to be compatible with all the H-H motors, or do i need a specific one?
it will work with all motors..kinda a bitch to set up but it will work. I dont know if that has USALS or just DIseqc 1.2
4. I have about 200ft of rg6 from the (soon to be) dish and the receiver, how much will this cut down on the signal?
very minimal loss
5. I looked on lyngsat.com and it said there about 30 tv channels that are free to air, do more people get more then this? (could someone give me a channel count?)
check out thelist
There are more than 30...heck one satellite has almost 400 TV & radio channels from around the world :)

My pole is wobbly!

I installed a pole in the ground with 90 pounds of cement but. It still wiggles at the top of the pole! Can i just fill the tube with cement?

I know its childish, but the subject made me laugh..

I've been in the same boat where I installed a pole and it would shake near the top, it didn't kill signal unless I stood out there and wobbled it the entire time.. as long as it's not on top of the basketball pole you might be ok.. :p

Idea about pole.

I installed a pole in the ground with 90# of cement. Yet at the top and bottom it sill can wiggle. I am wondering If filling the pole up with cement will fix the problem. Also at the base of the pole there is a little wiggle because there is a tiny gap around the pole. I am wondering if I can get some cement and use a screwdriver or a Popsicle stick and cram cement in this gap? Give me some advice please, I also threw in pictures to help.

Attachments

• DSC00384.JPG
    DSC00384.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC00387.JPG
    DSC00387.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00388.JPG
    DSC00388.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 134
Dont Worry

I cut the bottom out of the bucket and slid it over the pole to give it a mold, there is 2' of cement or more under it.

Someboy awnser this please!

I installed a pole in the ground. It is not perfectly level the bubble is between the lines but no DEAD center. How much will this affect signal? Also my pole is slightly bigger then the normal dish/directv mount. Will the 3ABN dish need a bracket of some sorts?

If this is the same pole you already asked about and had a pic of in another thread, then like I said, I think you'll be fine. Every dish setup needs a little tweaking and your's will be no different.

As for the 3ABN dish, I know a couple people here had them, but I have no experience with it, so you'll have to wait for that answer.

Typically, the more your level bubble is off, the worse the issues with the motors. For non-motor mounts, you should be able to tweak and make it ok. Shucks, when I was originally starting out and didn't have a motor at all, I just wired a little 18" dish to a pole on my porch with some cheap copper wire and it just sort of hung there kinda almost blowing in the wind. Basically, tweak as well as you can, and once you nail the signal, figure out a way to make the dish stay put there as well as you can. In the end all that really matters is that the lnb is aimed the right way. If you are going with a motor, you may try leveling the bubble just a smide more, maybe with some support wires attached to the ground (or roof if this is a roof mount)... I had to add a few support wires on my setup - just a couple extra little wires to help stabilize the dish and bring it level more prefectly. I used to have the same leveling problem you seem to be talking about before that.

I would guess that no body has ever set a pole EXACTLY plumb. But It needs to be close. Play around with it a couple of weeks and if you still don't have a signal you may need to replumb it.

I always try to make my poles as plumb as possible, especially important if your motorizing the dish. If it's stationary you can tune out the tilt but the scale on the dish will be off, then again alot of those markings are off already :)

One thing to remember when setting up a dish. Try to do everything as exact as possible, It will save you hours of headaches.

Uh Oh!!!

The pole I put in the ground is 2" od. I think this is kinda big. Will the 3ABN dish fit on it? or will I have to ubolt a directv J-mount to the pole??:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts