A couple Questions before I sign up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

a1nitewolf

Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Las Vegas
Hey all!!

I want to take advantage of the new offer with Sunday Ticket ... I have a new house that has a smartbox in it. I really don't want them drilling through my walls .. Can they use the smart box and and only use a single line for an HD-DVR?? I have a cable HD-DVR now and that DVR only uses one line.

If they can.. is there anything I should ask for when calling today to set up service ?

Thanks for your time
J.D.

They have what's called the SWMLNB which can support up to 8 tuners via a single coax, just using splitters where needed for distribution. The key is getting DirecTV to give you one on the install (don't bother telling the CSR you need it, they ignore the request). Last I heard is that if you order at least 5 tuners and HD that you can get the SWMLNB. So if you order two HD DVR's and a non-DVR box, or one HD DVR and two non-DVR boxes you should get one.

My experience, with my son and his installs, 1st install was one HD DVR, 1 HD STB and 1 SD STB, installer didn't want to do a SWM LNB. Showed him how easy the install would be with it since he could use all existing wiring, and if they didn't the install was cancelled. He called the office, got the OK and he got the SWM LNB. Three months later a move to a new house using the movers connection. Again, no SWM LNB on the order, again showed the installer how easy the install was due to existing wiring if he used one, again he called the office and got the OK.

If you don't feel lucky you can always order a SWM LNB on your own and ask the installer to use it, but I've seen a post where someone tried that and the installer refused to do it and walked away.

So bottom line is that it's possible to use one wire to HD DVR's, but YMMV trying to get D* to install one.

I see your sig says you're in Las Vegas, so how lucky do you feel;)

I'd bet no unless you have a really nice installer. As I said you could order a SWMLNB yourself and see if he'd install it.

Another alternative is to purchase your own SWM8, which is an external SWM module, see DirecTV SWM8 - Single Wire Multiswitch - $159 Including Power Inserter - Free Shipping. Have him use a standard LNB and pull all four coax from the dish to your wiring box. Then you can install the SWM at that point, connecting the four wires from the dish to the SWM8 and then feed the single coax out to the HD DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)