A Few Networking Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

loubon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2010
New Jersey
My current setup:

Hopper 3 on main floor, two wired Joeys on second floor and one wireless Joey in basement connected to the H3 through the Joey's wired access point.

What I'm trying to do:

Add an access point (I bought a new router so I turned the old one into an access point) put it on the main floor and extend my network to a wired network by using Powerline adapters.

My questions:

I've read conflicting info on the two ethernet ports on the back of the H3. Can one be used for the Joey Access Point and the other for the network access point?

Assuming I can do what I just asked do I need to change anything other than to "wired connection" on the H3 for the two upstairs joeys that are currently linked to the H3 now that the network will be wired rather than wireless?

Hopefully that makes sense. TIA!

My current setup:

Hopper 3 on main floor, two wired Joeys on second floor and one wireless Joey in basement connected to the H3 through the Joey's wired access point.

What I'm trying to do:

Add an access point (I bought a new router so I turned the old one into an access point) put it on the main floor and extend my network to a wired network by using Powerline adapters.

My questions:

I've read conflicting info on the two ethernet ports on the back of the H3. Can one be used for the Joey Access Point and the other for the network access point?

Assuming I can do what I just asked do I need to change anything other than to "wired connection" on the H3 for the two upstairs joeys that are currently linked to the H3 now that the network will be wired rather than wireless?

Hopefully that makes sense. TIA!
That's one of the reasons there are 2 on the Hopper. One to connect to the internet and one for the WAP

Thanks. That is what I thought but I was reading a few things about the two ports that made me think I might be wrong. So if I just plug in the ethernet for the internet do I need to do any configuration for the two wired Joeys or will that just pick up automatically? With the AP (old router) right by the receiver now it says the wi-fi signal is 100% so I might not even wire it (although not sure I trust that reading) but I'm just curious if the Joeys setup the same.

Thanks. That is what I thought but I was reading a few things about the two ports that made me think I might be wrong. So if I just plug in the ethernet for the internet do I need to do any configuration for the two wired Joeys or will that just pick up automatically? With the AP (old router) right by the receiver now it says the wi-fi signal is 100% so I might not even wire it (although not sure I trust that reading) but I'm just curious if the Joeys setup the same.

If Menu\Settings\Internet\Advanced\Bridging is turned on then internet will be passed to the Joeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)