A few questions about the *C DSR530

BigFella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 29, 2003
Just North of LA
Hey all,
I'm seriously considering Star Choice and the DSR530 HD DVR. I had a few questions before I take the plunge:
  1. Do all video outs work simultaneously like the Dish 942 or do I have to choose one at a time?
  2. Is there an equivalent device to the Dish Network Separator and DPP44 so I only have to run one cable to the DSR530?
  3. Can I record two programs at a time?
You may have guessed that I'm a current Dish subscriber and 942 user. I guess I'm looking for similarities and differences to what I'm used to.

Many thanks in advance...

BigFella said:
Hey all,
I'm seriously considering Star Choice and the DSR530 HD DVR. I had a few questions before I take the plunge:
  1. Do all video outs work simultaneously like the Dish 942 or do I have to choose one at a time?
    All function at once
  2. Is there an equivalent device to the Dish Network Separator and DPP44 so I only have to run one cable to the DSR530?

NO
  3. Can I record two programs at a time?

NO

You may have guessed that I'm a current Dish subscriber and 942 user. I guess I'm looking for similarities and differences to what I'm used to.

Many thanks in advance...

Also, if you like being able to rewind a program to record it, after you have watched it...not possible with the DSR 530

I have had a DSR 530 and a EV 9200.....I think the 530 sucks. I personally would prefer to have *C's service. The 530 is OK, but not worth the money. I would value the 530 at about $300....REALLY

I disliked the 530 so much, I reconnected EV and bought a 9200....I sold the 530 and still have to pay the *C bill until the end of my commitment.

Also, I tried 2 different receivers, the picture on the 530, in standard def mode, was never as good as my picture on EV.

Thanks for your response Miguel. Since I live in southern CA, my choice in Canadian providers is limited to Starchoice and subsequently, their equipment. I do want an HD PVR so I guess the 530 is my only choice. I've heard about the problems with the unit, but I guess I'm hoping I'll get lucky. I've been lucky so far with all of my Dish PVR's and we all know how many problems are reported with their units in these forums.

Since I'll have to purchase the 530, I'm assuming (fingers crossed) that a warranty will apply from the people that sell it to me... Or is that wishful thinking? I am afterall, an American buying a Canadian piece of equipment on the grey market :confused: .

BigFella said:
Thanks for your response Miguel. Since I live in southern CA, my choice in Canadian providers is limited to Starchoice and subsequently, their equipment. I do want an HD PVR so I guess the 530 is my only choice. I've heard about the problems with the unit, but I guess I'm hoping I'll get lucky. I've been lucky so far with all of my Dish PVR's and we all know how many problems are reported with their units in these forums.

Since I'll have to purchase the 530, I'm assuming (fingers crossed) that a warranty will apply from the people that sell it to me... Or is that wishful thinking? I am afterall, an American buying a Canadian piece of equipment on the grey market :confused: .
KUSAT was very nice to me when it came to returning the receiver when I had problems....shipping is the only bad thing!!!

I would not buy one now! I only paid $589 CAD and had a $100 CAD programming credit back in December, but they went back to the original price ! They will have to go down soon....I was told, by a good source, that a new code was going to be realeased soon for the 530, m,aybe, they will go down again.

miguelaqui said:
KUSAT was very nice to me when it came to returning the receiver when I had problems....shipping is the only bad thing!!!

I would not buy one now! I only paid $589 CAD and had a $100 CAD programming credit back in December, but they went back to the original price ! They will have to go down soon....I was told, by a good source, that a new code was going to be realeased soon for the 530, m,aybe, they will go down again.
Hmmm... Hopefully the timing will work out. I plan on waiting until I lose my NY DNS from Dish before I subscribe to *C - that may be a month or two as I understand it.

Good to hear about the simultaneous video out. The plan is to send DVI to the projector for nighttime viewing, Component to RPTV for daytime viewing and composite out to a RF modulator for whole house distribution.

I bought many items from KUSat and had no shipping issues. Got them within a week

bought a ExpressVu system, a SC syatem and 2 FTA receivers from them with no issues.

Agreed, I have had KuSat send me things from Canada with no issue.

The only downside is they us UPS instead of the Postal Service, and UPS GOUGES YOU WITH CUSTOM AGENT FEES.

And I do mean GOUGE. It's so different its not funny. iirc, it makes your shipping costs rise about 300% compared with normal postal service rates.

To be clear, that is what UPS charges them...and they just pass it on to you....but they will not use the postal services instead.

Why anyone would go with the 530 instead of buying a used 400 series and have it modified with the R5000HD unit for roughly the same price is beyond me. (You could also go the 505/505a route as well for a little bit more).

That gives one a ton more options...especially if you move services down the road.

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
Why anyone would go with the 530 instead of buying a used 400 series and have it modified with the R5000HD unit for roughly the same price is beyond me.

That gives one a ton more options...especially if you move services down the road.
I'm new to this whole Canadian *C thing... Is this an HD PVR for *C programming?Where can I find this set up and more info? Does *C still support it with software updates? This mod is not an illegal hack is it?

keenan said:
http://www.nextcomwireless.com/r5000/home.htm
Home of the R5000 High-Definition TV PVR
Thanks! Exactly the info I was looking for. So it's like a 169time thing from what I can gather. Looked promising (I do have an HTPC that is currently out of service) until I saw the note that TitanTV does not support Canadian providers. How would it be possible (other than manual timers) to schedule PVR events without that?

BigFella said:
Thanks! Exactly the info I was looking for. So it's like a 169time thing from what I can gather. Looked promising (I do have an HTPC that is currently out of service) until I saw the note that TitanTV does not support Canadian providers. How would it be possible (other than manual timers) to schedule PVR events without that?
I have no idea, just started looking at it myself.

HDTVFanAtic probably knows the answer though.

There's a huge thread at AVS about the R5000 system.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=449402
The Official R5000-HD Technical Status Discussion - AVS Forum

R5000HD works with TitanTV and Zap2it - and Zap2it works with Canadian Satellite Systems. One intergrates the ipeg portion of zap2it and the R5000DVR. You simply press the red button to schedule a recording.

AFAIK, they have it working with all the SC DSR4xx and DSR5xx series units.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)