A few questions about upgrading to HD...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Camaro

Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey guys, I'm new here, but thought this would be the best place for me to ask these questions. Since Raw made the move to HD I've decided it's time for me to upgrade (I''ve been a big wrestling fan since I was a kid). As far as I can tell all I need to upgrade is a H20 or H21 reciever, a Slimline dish, and the programming change on Directv's end to get HD. Am I forgeting anything? Also I already have a few non-HD receivers activated right now, how many does Directv allow on one account, and will they still work with the Slimeline dish? I'd call Directv and ask them this stuff, but being in Canada, that isn't an option lol. If anyone can answer these questions for me it would be appreciated.

All receivers will work with the Slimline dish. I don't think D* has a limit on the number of receivers per account.

Yes, to get all the new HD, you need an MPEG4 receiver or DVR, Slimline dish and the HD access package added on to your existing D* package.

Well back to the dish setup. Is it possible to combine round dishes with a multi-switch for HD? If so, how many would you need for English only programming?

For HD you will need the 5lnb slimline dish. It is harder to setup/install than your single lnb. Depending on how far north you are in Canada you may have a harder time getting signal as well.

Search for the install video for the slimline, that should give you an idea of what is entailed.

The dish is widely available for around $99, the H20/H21 HD receiver is also widely available for $99. Then you'll just need to call to activate it, either Directv or your broker since you are out of US.

For HD you will need the 5lnb slimline dish. It is harder to setup/install than your single lnb. Depending on how far north you are in Canada you may have a harder time getting signal as well.

Search for the install video for the slimline, that should give you an idea of what is entailed.

The dish is widely available for around $99, the H20/H21 HD receiver is also widely available for $99. Then you'll just need to call to activate it, either Directv or your broker since you are out of US.

I'm in Nova Scotia, so about as far north as the state of Maine, so I'm thinking (hoping) that getting a signal won't be an issue. I'll try to find that install vid to check out.

One last question. I thought about getting one of the DVR HD receivers. But was wondering if they need to be hooked up to a phoneline to work, or if there's an additional fee from Directv for the service?

You do not need the phone line. For the fees aspect... there will be an HD fee of 9.99 for all the HD channels except the extra pack which has channels like Smithsonian which is free for 3 months on most promotions but is $4.99 after that. Also there is a $5.99 DVR fee regardless of how many DVR's you have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.