A headless DVR with a Slingcatcher?

bobdobbs

Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hey everybody,

My house is on a slab and has no attic, so running wires is a PITA. Currently, I run Comcast coax into a Windows Media Center PC in my garage and stream wirelessly to an XBox 360. It actually works great, even for HD, except Comcast sucks, so I'm thinking of switching to Dishnetwork.

Question: Would it possible to replace the PC in my garage with one of the Sling-enabled Dish DVRs and a Slingcatcher (from ebay) on my TV? And could I run the DVR headless after initial setup? Is anybody doing that?

Thanks!

BD

Best of current knowledge says that the Sling Catcher will not work with the Sling Adapter ... that it would need to be a sling box (adapter & box are two distinctly different devices)

But you could use a slingbox (pro/proHD) and the catcher. There is a Sling "Extender" that has been announced and in the works for over a year and *might* be out this winter ...

The fact that if you got the sling adapter now, I think you would still get qualification for the "rebate" making the adapter virtually free ... and then get a SlingBOX as well (though that would cost you normal costs, and additional software fees from Sling)

If time isn't an issue, then you might wait and the Sling Extender will be out and I'm only guessing but most likely dish will not charge a monthly fee for the extender. With Sling Media ... you pay extra for their media player (other than on the PC) like for smartphones, etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts