A message on behalf of techs to customers

I digress

Obviously my original post should be taken lightly as a tongue and cheek statement regarding some of the annoyances I deal with as a technician. Perhaps I was a bit too inflammatory. I really enjoy my job and I am very polite with my customers.

To you hourly guys: I'm sure it is the same way on your side. When I pull up to a job I can tell by the character of the work if it was done by an hourly guy or a sub. I have seen many times houses with usable existing wiring that were re-wired at the behest of the tech. Your attitude on your particular jobs changes dramatically when you are supplying all your gas, wire, fittings, diplexers, etc. I've seen hourly guys wire up 3 mirriored rooms off of 722s and 322s. I've seen hourly guys work on an install where a customer was defecting from Directv, all the existing wiring was less than 2 years old and rg6, and they ran new wires. Also, you guys can more easily work with a partner, us subs can't for the most part. And as you guys are aware, there are instances where having a partner is critical.

I would be really interested to hear the hourly guy's general opinions/complaints about the work that subs do. I look forward to reading it.

Obviously my original post should be taken lightly as a tongue and cheek statement regarding some of the annoyances I deal with as a technician. Perhaps I was a bit too inflammatory. I really enjoy my job and I am very polite with my customers.

To you hourly guys: I'm sure it is the same way on your side. When I pull up to a job I can tell by the character of the work if it was done by an hourly guy or a sub. I have seen many times houses with usable existing wiring that were re-wired at the behest of the tech. Your attitude on your particular jobs changes dramatically when you are supplying all your gas, wire, fittings, diplexers, etc. I've seen hourly guys wire up 3 mirriored rooms off of 722s and 322s. I've seen hourly guys work on an install where a customer was defecting from Directv, all the existing wiring was less than 2 years old and rg6, and they ran new wires. Also, you guys can more easily work with a partner, us subs can't for the most part. And as you guys are aware, there are instances where having a partner is critical.

I would be really interested to hear the hourly guy's general opinions/complaints about the work that subs do. I look forward to reading it.

This thread really should be in the Installer Zone. Would a mod please move it?

Now, to address your concerns. As someone who is currently hourly and started out as a sub, I know both sides of things. Look, it's true the hourly guys are encouraged to take more time and to do what is required to get the job done regardless of the work order. A work order says a 322 and it turns out to be two 722s and a 1000+, if you have the equipment on your van the job gets done. Your other jobs are shifted to other technicians if need be. That's part of the reason behind having an in house staff. However, it's a misconception that hourly techs do a bunch of unnecessary work for the heck of it. Nothing could be further from the truth. We have full schedules, and it's challenging enough as it is to make all of our appointments without making extra work for ourselves. The things you've come across were likely due to either a problem with the prewire that you didn't see, or a very inexperienced tech who didn't know any better. If there's prewire, we use it unless it just isn't workable or practical.

As someone who is a supervisor in a call center, and sometimes has to deal with escalated situations involving techs, let me state this:

Im an hourly DISH tech and guess what? Im not touching anything not Dish related. Period. I have other DISH jobs to do and a family to get home to.

You touch it you own it.

That is per policy. Just like we aren't supposed to troubleshoot non-DISH equipment (i.e. DVD players), it's not the tech's job to do anything that is not related to the install.

Oh, and along the same lines...

1)If your tv itself won't turn on, it's not a DISH Network problem. DNS techs are not TV repairmen.
2). If your picture is distorted or the screen is mostly green, and you hook up a DVD player and it does the exact same thing, the issue is with the tv itself. Yes, tvs can go out.It's true.
3). Threatening to cancel your service just to get free programming only makes it harder for customers who do deserve credits to get them.
4). For God's sake, understand what a black-out is before calling in and saying things that would cause Andrew Dice Clay to suffer a massive stroke.

I don't care what kind of contractor is doing work around my house. I always schedule appointments for days that I am at home, so that my wife isn't put in a potentially dangerous situation from an unscrupulous contractor. And when the person shows up to do work, I will usually either watch or check in regularly to make sure everything is going well. I have had better conversations with DN installers than other contractors, and the two that have been to my house over the last 9 years both said they learned something from ME.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.. DO not call dish and get me into trouble for bein lazy waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why should we not watch you while you do an install? what if you steal something from me? Should I just let you go walkin around my house without me keepin an eye on you?
waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

this makes no sense? Customers, unless you are receiving error messages on your TV please do not call dish network for a trouble call and a technician to re-point your dish. if it pix elates who do we call the pixel fairy?
Waaaahhhhh!!

I usually watch contractors do repairs and installs because I learn how to do lots of things myself AND I can correct them if I know they are making mistakes. I know exactly how I want my connection hooked up and I plan to be there to explain it to the installer. AND believe me, HIS job will be a lot easier if he follows my advice. I have taught a number of contractors a thing or two.

I for one am actually glad this discussion is here. As a customer who has met all variations described on here, this discussion, as others on here do too, enlighten and educate me so i can get the best possible service from dish and it's workforce (sub or no).

I joined this forum and support it for just these very discussions, rather than the ones complaining about things way beyond my, or anybody on here, control.

OP, thanks and the others disagreeing with him, appreciate seeing the other side of the coin. Good discussion

Last edited:
...and the two that have been to my house over the last 9 years both said they learned something from ME.

AND believe me, HIS job will be a lot easier if he follows my advice. I have taught a number of contractors a thing or two.

For the record, I have been a DN subcontractor for 2 years, and NOT a SINGLE customer has "taught" me a damn thing that would improve or be useful to my technical abilities.

Also, I strongly believe, this community has a counterintuituve and unfortunate affect of fostering "know-it-all" customers.

Customers, satellite is my trade and livelihood; this is why I consult this site. Sure I am interested in the architecture of my apartment, but this does not mean I hit up a bunch of architectural forums and then up with a million questions to bother the builder who is constructing an additional wing of my building. William Shatner said it best: get a life!

For the record, I have been a DN subcontractor for 2 years, and NOT a SINGLE customer has "taught" me a damn thing that would improve or be useful to my technical abilities.

Also, I strongly believe, this community has a counterintuituve and unfortunate affect of fostering "know-it-all" customers.

Customers, satellite is my trade and livelihood; this is why I consult this site. Sure I am interested in the architecture of my apartment, but this does not mean I hit up a bunch of architectural forums and then up with a million questions to bother the builder who is constructing an additional wing of my building. William Shatner said it best: get a life!

I'm saying this in the nicest possible way. Perhaps you should hang out here for a while, post a bit and gain a reputation before coming off with these pugnacious posts.

As an hourly Dish tech i have a lot of respect for contractors. No way would i do it. If I roll up on a job and complete the install and then the cust changes their mind i still get paid. We have no locals in my area and we lose a lot of jobs once we get on site. As a contractor that would dirve me crazy.

QAS is bad enough for in house techs. I cant imagine what its like for contractors.

You've been a subcontractor for 2 years and you know everything. Wow! I've been in retail grocery for 22 years and I still learn something new everyday. Customers will bring things to my attention that I may have overlooked. We thrive when we strive to make ourselves better. When we aren't open to suggestions or a differing opinion, then we limit ourselves to what we are willing or capable of learning. If your job brings you such great dissatisfaction, then maybe you should move on to something new. If you don't like a differing opinion, like many have on this forum, then maybe you should move on.

We, like you, are entitled to our opinion. If you would like us to respect your opinion, then you should try to respect ours also.

not to be mean but in my area alot of the subs do shady work do what they can to get in and get out i have been an hourly tech for over eight years there are some good subs but sadly most are not. A lot of it is not there fault ,its the company they work for not training them right and not paying them fairly.

to customers that feel the need to tell us how to do our job dont. Untill most of you can pull tv away from wall, put your dog away and dont get mad when we ask you to restrain him, not excpect us to move couches or all your junk in basement and countless other things i could go on about then maybe we will lesson to what you have to say. And last thing please clean your houses b4 tech arrives you know who you are.

My house is only 2 years old, the installer told me that I lived in an HOA community(which was news to me) he could not install the service because there was no outlet where my plasma was. The outlet was on the other side and he could not run exterior wires, because of HOA rules. I said fine. I called Dish and resceduled, they sent another sub-contractor and he did an awesome job( 2 622's and 1 612). He ran a room wrap along the base board, grounded the dish properly and took time to show my whole family how to use the service. That guy got a $50.00 tip for his excellent customer service. :up:up

agreed

to customers that feel the need to tell us how to do our job dont. Untill most of you can pull tv away from wall, put your dog away and dont get mad when we ask you to restrain him, not excpect us to move couches or all your junk in basement and countless other things i could go on about then maybe we will lesson to what you have to say. And last thing please clean your houses b4 tech arrives you know who you are.

Amen to that polaris

Obviously you haven't been to any of our homes. Maybe you would learn something. Your arrogant, anti-customer attitude could certainly use some adjusting.

When the tech that was REQUIRED by Dish to come out and install my 622 arrived, he found my entertainment center out from the wall and everything already done for him. All he had to do was hook up the 622, call Dish, and ask me a few questions about my home theater setup and then thank me for making the housecall so easy.

So now you are blaming satguys for all your problems with customers? We call that DENIAL. Usually when someone works in a field they really don't belong in, they start showing the kind of symptoms you are right around 2 years. What a coincidence - you have been at for 2 years.

Now you are Dr Phil? Obviously the job is getting to you and you would rather nobody be home when you have to install the poor inferior slob's sateliite service so you won't be bothered by humanity.

Get a life? Get a new job! One that doesn't require compassion, patience, or contact with the living.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)