This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

A Newbie with a 10' Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Newbie Question: Since the actuator for my dish doesn't work (for now), will I still be able to move the dish from side-to-side? If not, is there any other way?
Assuming "doesn't work (for now)" means you don't have a dish mover (vbox or asc1) yet? If so, you can use a car or lawn tractor battery to move it temporarily - just make sure it moves (if it doesn't remove connections quickly) and be careful not to short battery. I used an old HP printer adapter (32VDC @ 700ma)
from my junk box for testing an actuator. Don't know if that would have the juice to move it while on the dish though.

Well, close enough. The wires on it are cut. So I may need new wires. Basically, I'm asking if I can move it by hand.

Well, close enough. The wires on it are cut. So I may need new wires. Basically, I'm asking if I can move it by hand.
It's easiest to fix the wires and temporarily use the battery method mentioned above until your actuator/cable arrive. This allows you to install the dish and get it centered on the arc and ready for use. If you are not ready to replace the cable yet and want to use it temporarily you can put the dish at it's zenith (center or highest point). Use a lock-down bar (a metal bar that attaches to the same points your actuator would) to keep it there. Rotate the whole dish/mount assembly on the pole to the azimuth of the sat you want and "gently" tighten the bolts to keep it in place. Adjust dish elevation and lnb skew for that sat (use dishpointer.com to get the values you need for azimuth, elevation and skew). That should get you a signal (and something to watch) until you can get the cable and mover in place.

Thanks! Why I ask is because if one day I want to watch something besides Me-TV on SES 1, I would like to have known if I could just gently move the dish to (for example) Galaxy 16 so I could watch the GDMX feeds. I am saving up to purchase new cable as well as a VBox.

Yep, you can do that if your cable and mover aren't ready. Lot's of guys have stationary dishes that they move to other sats from time to time. Reason I say 'gently' is you don't want to make deep gouges in the pole when you tighten the bolts down. That can make it harder to keep the mount in place later as the bolts want to go the indents.

Thanks for the help! Also, I just thought, wouldn't I have to adjust the skew each time I move to a different satellite?

With FTA4PA's suggestion, the skew would require rotation for each move.

If the dish has been properly aligned for tracking the arc, you could reposition the dish without needing to adjust the skew. Loosen the clamp on the actuator and pan the dish East/West until the target satellite is found and optimized then tighten the clamp. Be VERY careful ( you may need assistance) as the dish can get away from you as it is moved away from the top of the arc and it gets heavy as it drops down the sides of the arc.

Reactions: TheBUDGuy
Thanks for the tip! I'm in desperate need of actuator wires. Where would I get some and what would the value be?

If you go the route of putting it on arc and loosening/tightening the actuator clamp, then I have to agree - be very careful, especially if you find yourself doing it alone. It's easy to damage the dish, pinch fingers, etc. It really is surprising how much they weigh when the weight is off the top of the axis - and if a gust of wind happens along at the wrong time... Repositioning the dish as a stationary is definitely more work (especially if you plan to move it a lot) but is less likely to cause an oops! No matter which way you choose I wish you good luck!

Reactions: TheBUDGuy
Thank you! The pole is up and all we have to do now is assemble the dish, put it on the pole, and enjoy free Satellite TV!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Satellite Ribbon cable is available on Ebay and through Skyvision. An alternate would be to use wire locally sold at home improvement stores.

Motor M1/M2 connections use two conductor 12-14 gauge solid or stranded. I like the low voltage landscaping lighting wire as it is flexible and insulated PVC jacket: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cerrowir...scape-Lighting-Wire-Black-241-1602F/202206450

Sensor S1/S2 connections use two conductor plus shield 18 gauge solid or stranded. An example is: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-18-2-Shield-Security-Cable-By-the-Foot-57573199/204725192

If using stranded, I strip back the jacket and solder about 3/8" for easy connections to terminals without fraying.

If as above you already have the dish set up and tracking,you could remove the motor/gearbox,usually just one bolt,and move the ram in or out using pliers,visegrip or make a little crank handle.A lot easier and safer than trying to hold the dish,juggle wrenches and try to find the sat you're looking for.

Reactions: Titanium
Honestly, I would probably hate changing the skew with each move. So, tell me if this is correct: I'd need to position my dish at my southernmost satellite, set the skew to 0, then if I'd like to move the dish to another satellite by hand, I won't need to reset the skew each time?

EDIT: I don't think that's correct. At least, that don't sound right.

If you don't motorize the dish then you will need to adjust the skew each time you move it manually.

If you don't motorize the dish then you will need to adjust the skew each time you move it manually.
Drats. Well, I guess it don't matter. I shouldn't be moving it so much anyway. By that, I mean I probably won't be watching different satellites that much. I'll probably be on SES 1 about 95% of the time.

If you use the battery method mentioned earlier in this thread, you will not have to adjust the skew with each move. But, to do that, you need to set/move the dish to it's highest point (the point where it is balanced, takes very little effort to hold it). This is the point where either way you move the dish, it decreases in elevation. Then aim it the best you can at TRUE south. I can't remember the sites that list all the information for you, but I'm sure they have been mentioned in this thread, but you will get a TRUE and a MAGNETIC bearing to your southern most satellite. Note the difference between the two and adjust appropriately for a Magnetic bearing to TRUE SOUTH. Use that to line up the dish on True South. You will probably end up off a bit, but the closer you can get the better. Now lightly tighten down the bolts on the pole. Just enough to hold it for the next steps.

Now, it's time to set up a receiver, TV and the battery out by the dish. Determine which direction you need to move the dish to get on your southern most satellite. Now check "The List" here or go to Lyngsat.com and find an active transponder, write down the data for it and a couple of others (just in case). Now fire up your receiver and TV, set the receiver to the channel you chose. Unless you are right on the longitude of your southernmost satellite, you will have zilch showing on the TV. Now set the receiver to show you the Q strength, not just Signal, as signal usually just lets you know that the LNB is working.

You are now ready to move the dish. Hook proper gauge wires to the motor terminals and bring over to the battery. You will have to test to see which wire goes to which terminal to move the dish in the proper direction. You will then just touch the wires to the battery, to just bump the dish slightly. Be slow and patient, as most receivers respond somewhat slowly. Watch for Q to start to show, then peak it as best you can using the battery. Now, assuming that you had the elevation and declination set properly, but will probably have to adjust the elevation a bit, while watching the Q, lightly push the dish left/right and up/down. Make note of which direction improved the Q, that is the direction you need to move the dish. Elevation, via the adjustment mechanism on the mount. I would probably work the elevation first, then bump with the motor left/right to peak again, then repeat the push/pull procedure. Now, if you see an increase in Q when you push the dish left, then you need to loosen the pole bolts JUST ENOUGH to let you rotate the entire assembly on the pole, then move the entire assembly VERY SLIGHTLY to the left, all while watching the Q. Max Q is what we are looking for.

Once you have where you can't notice any improvement when you do the push/pull procedure you have that satellite pegged. Now, we need a list of all the satellites on each side of the southern most satellite. You will need to use the battery to bump over to the next satellite and check an active transponder there to be sure you know which satellite you are on and check your Q. Might want to write down the Q reading from each satellite, as it may help you later. Continue this until reach the limit of where you can see, or where you no longer care if you can get the next on or not. If, you get where you can't get the next satellite, don't panic back up the last one you got and do a push/pull and make notes of which did what to the Q. Now, go back to your southern most satellite, and repeat going the other direction.

If you did a good job at aligning to Due South, you should be done. But, odds are that you missed by just a smidgeon. If when out on the East extreme your Q improves when you push the dish down, and out on the Western edge the Q improves when you lift up on the dish, then your dish is aimed just a smidgeon to the east of due south. So the whole assembly needs to be just every so slightly moved to the West. If the Q improvements are the opposite, then reverse the direction of movement.

One very important thing to remember, A LITTLE BIT OF ADJUSTMENT GOES A LONG WAY. You are aiming at an object 22,500 miles out in space and that object about the size of a chest freezer a maybe a bit bigger. A tiny bit here on earth, is a big bit when you get to the satellite. Be patient and go slow. If you start to get frustrated, it is time for a break. When you get your first image, it will be a lifetime memory.

Forgot to mention this. Be sure to tighten up all the locking nuts and the pole bolts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason S

Correct! If the vertical axis is aligned to "0" skew at the peak of the arc, the polar mount will automatically track the skew setting as the dish is rotated East or West across the arc.

Be very careful if you do manually move the dish by loosening the motor clamp!

Edit: Bpalone just posted great alignment instructions above!

Won't I need to adjust the elevation each time? See, at my location, my southernmost satellite is AMC 9 (83°W). For example, I want to move it to SES 1. Now from what you said, when I move it by hand, I won't have to adjust the skew each time (?). But here's the thing, would I need to adjust elevation each time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.