A Newbie with a 10' Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you use the polar mount to swing the dish, the Elevation and the Skew are both automatically set. I think you are missing the part about using the polar mount to move the dish. The polar mount is designed to track the arc of satellites in the sky. The arc of satellites starts at zero elevation on the Eastern and Western horizons and is the highest when directly south of your location. Follow Bpalone's post # 98 to align the polar mount to accurately track the arc.

Starting with post #81, we have been talking about ways to move the dish East/ West to track the arc of satellites using the polar mount (with or without running the motor).

Is there a reason that you are not wanting to connect a 12V car battery to the two thick wires coming out of the back of the motor?

If you use the polar mount to swing the dish, the Elevation and the Skew are both automatically set. I think you are missing the part about using the polar mount to move the dish. The polar mount is designed to track the arc of satellites in the sky. The arc of satellites starts at zero elevation on the Eastern and Western horizons and is the highest when directly south of your location. Follow Bpalone's post # 98 to align the polar mount to accurately track the arc.

Starting with post #81, we have been talking about ways to move the dish East/ West to track the arc of satellites using the polar mount (with or without running the motor).

Is there a reason that you are not wanting to connect a 12V car battery to the two thick wires coming out of the back of the motor?
Oh! Sorry I didn't understand! :biggrin Anyway, I would do it, but I can't think of a reason to give you! :biggrin I may do that. It's just that's if for some reason I can't do it, I'd like to know how to do it by hand.

Oh! Sorry I didn't understand! :biggrin Anyway, I would do it, but I can't think of a reason to give you! :biggrin I may do that. It's just that's if for some reason I can't do it, I'd like to know how to do it by hand.
Then do as I suggested and take the motor off the arm and using pliers,visegrips or make a crank handle and you can move the dish by hand,just like the old days :biggrin.As Ti said,once you have the mount and skew etc set,you don't have to mess with anything else.Loosening the bolts and sliding the arm in the clamp aint that easy,precise or fun ;).

Reactions: TheBUDGuy
Here you go, replace your actuator with this and a little creativity. Hand-crank to your hearts content. I think we've done covered it for well and good, and it still leaves you with a good actuator you can reinstall later when you are tired of cranking by hand:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-a-frame-trailer-jack-92626.html

image_13647.jpg

Reactions: scarecrovv
Use a ground block on the coax before it enters the structure. The ground block ground wire is attached to the structure ground. Do not drive a separate ground unless it is also bonded to the structure ground.

The connection to ground is for bleeding off static, transient voltages, etc. and directing dangerous voltages to structure ground rather than routing through your equipment or you.

Reactions: dougruss
The dish is on the pole!! Tomorrow, we're going to put the LNBF (as well as support arms) into the dish. Then we're going to scan our first satellite, which may be one of he following: Galaxy 19, Galaxy 16, or SES 1.
Looking at the picture in this post of yours, I hope you have enough concrete in that hole. Maybe your ground is more solid than what I have here, but it just gives me a little worry. Mine is almost two yards and is about 2-1/2 feet diameter circle around the post coming out of the ground. Even with a mesh dish there is a lot of wind load on a ten footer.

Looking at the picture in this post of yours, I hope you have enough concrete in that hole. Maybe your ground is more solid than what I have here, but it just gives me a little worry. Mine is almost two yards and is about 2-1/2 feet diameter circle around the post coming out of the ground. Even with a mesh dish there is a lot of wind load on a ten footer.
Yes. Our ground (at least in my area) is much harder. All of the rain we've had the past few days has really helped us.

I want your guys' opinion on something: Which mobile application would be best for seeing what satellites are orbiting above my location? I currently use one on my iPhone called “Satellite Locator” as well as “Dish Allign”. But here's the problem: both apps give different positions for the satellites. For example, on “Satellite Locator” it will say that one satellite would be in the trees from where my pole is. Though on “Dish Allign”, it says that this particular satellite is nowhere near trees. I believe the “Dish Allign” app more, to be honest.

With a little super glue, silicon gel, a plastic bag, and duct tape, I have made this LNBF cover look new, almost.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 114
I want your guys' opinion on something: Which mobile application would be best for seeing what satellites are orbiting above my location? I currently use one on my iPhone called “Satellite Locator” as well as “Dish Allign”. But here's the problem: both apps give different positions for the satellites. For example, on “Satellite Locator” it will say that one satellite would be in the trees from where my pole is. Though on “Dish Allign”, it says that this particular satellite is nowhere near trees. I believe the “Dish Allign” app more, to be honest.
If the apps are giving different positions then I would go into the app's settings and make sure that your latitude and longitude are set correctly. This was a problem when I first tried to use "Satellite Dish Pointer" -- it was way off (thought I lived in Canada). So I set it to 'Use you own location instead of GPS'. Then I entered my home latitude and longitude of 38.76, -121.23 and it has worked very well ever since.

Does anybody know where I can get a LNBF cover (or feedhorn cover)? If not, what could I use as an alternate one?
Some will say it is a good way to roast your LNB in that "hot box." Others may not. I had one on my first and second dish until it was mentioned about the heat. I have not used one for several years since. Just make sure you use a good sealer on the connectors to keep out the water and you should do OK.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts