a problem with a coolsat 5000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Oregon
hello, first post here.. I just purchased a coolsat 5000 platinum used on ebay. when I go into Dish Settings I get a low (like 4%) level and quality signal.. normaly I would think thats ok and I need to adjust my dish except its the exact same level when i detach the lnbf cable from the reciever and I cant seem to get anything more than the constant 4% when I use either of my lnbfs. ive also updated the firmware with no luck.

any ideas?

hello, first post here.. I just purchased a coolsat 5000 platinum used on ebay. when I go into Dish Settings I get a low (like 4%) level and quality signal.. normaly I would think thats ok and I need to adjust my dish except its the exact same level when i detach the lnbf cable from the reciever and I cant seem to get anything more than the constant 4% when I use either of my lnbfs. ive also updated the firmware with no luck.

any ideas?

Hi 3.14 and WELCOME!

Check your LNBF settings (both LNBF TYPE and FREQUENCY). If these do not match the actual LNBF out on the dish, you will get very low readings like this.

You should be detecting somewhere between 35 and 50 % signal LEVEL, when you are not aimed at any sat. The receiver should be picking up the inherent amplifier noise from the LNBF itself. If the settings are incorrect, the receiver won't see this noise.

Try connecting your LNBF with a short cable (just a couple of feet) inside to rule out any cable problems.

If you have the LNBF settings matched to your actual LNBF and you are still getting this low of signal and your cable is fine, then I would suspect that your receiver is defective and not powering the LNBF at all.

Good luck

RADAR

It was the cable, thanks :p

3.14, you are most welcome. Great to hear that it was a relatively simple problem to correct. Much better than it being a bum receiver.

So, are you pulling in some satellites now, or are you in the process of dialing in a new dish? I know that you will enjoy the functionality and ease of the Coolsat 5K... They are excellent little receivers, for what they are capable of. I have quite a collection of them, bought extras when they were discontinued so that I would have replacement parts to keep them going for a long time.

Good luck and happy hunting! :)

RADAR

My FTA dream is to find a receiver that is as easy and performs as well as the CS-5000, but does S2, 8PSK, and 4:2:2. At a moderate price of course.

thats where i got the firmware at actually. this reciever was used and only came with one satellite scanned with stations saved. that was 119. :p

I've kept quiet about this as it would probably not have had much bearing on your problem.
If you want better firmware, this legit mod is the best thing going. - :up

Anole,

It is kind of peculiar, but the free hostia site has only a few revisions to the Coolsat 5k and 6k firmwares. These receivrs were just so damned good, that we couldn't think of anything much more to add to the firmware! Ha ha!

Seriously, these receivers, disregarding their limitations, are the best receivers I have ever used, since they hit the market. Things are changing and the Coolsat 5K isn't quite adaptable. But, it is still an awesome STB!

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts