A Question for BillDel84

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Since BillDel84 was gone for a while and is now back,

considering he is a diehard basketball (and Celtics) fan,

I want him to help me solve a debate between me and another poster.

Jimbo and I differ on what is considered good basketball.

He likes basketball played 'the right way' with defense and teamwork and all that.

I don't watch basketball BECAUSE there is NO DEFENSE.
Back in the '70's you had hard working teams that knew how to play D.

I, on the other hand, am SICK of that boring, slow stuff.

I want to see something new, something EXCITING AND DIFFERENT.

I HATE that slow and boring 'first to 70-80 points' style of basketball.

If the Spurs meet the Pistons in the Finals, I will not watch a second; I would boycott that series.

Anyway,

who do you side with here?

Since BillDel84 was gone for a while and is now back,

considering he is a diehard basketball (and Celtics) fan,

I want him to help me solve a debate between me and another poster.

Jimbo and I differ on what is considered good basketball.

He likes basketball played 'the right way' with defense and teamwork and all that.

I, on the other hand, am SICK of that boring, slow stuff.

I want to see something new, something EXCITING AND DIFFERENT.

I HATE that slow and boring 'first to 70-80 points' style of basketball.

If the Spurs meet the Pistons in the Finals, I will not watch a second; I would boycott that series.

Anyway,

who do you side with here?

I honestly don't believe it's a matter of right and wrong. You are both entitled to your opinion of what brand of basketball you prefer. Myself, I like a happy medium. I don't like it when it's 78-75, but I don't care for a 131-126 Denver Nuggets type game, where both teams treat defense like it's the plague. Give me 102-100 any day of the week, where both teams run up and down the floor, but also play tenacious, in-your-face defense. Admittedly the Spurs are not my cup of tea, but at the same time i respect what they've accomplished over the past 10 years. Once again, I'm sticking to my earlier prediction of Lakers-Pistons, with Detroit winning their fourth banner.

P.S. SabresRule,
I realize you and I got off on the wrong foot on the DBSForums board and I'm sorry for that. But I must say I admire your passion when it comes to sports. I don't always agree with you, but that's what it's all about..........opinions. Kudos!!! :up

Personally, you may both be wrong and right at the same time, but just not realized it yet. :D

Great defense IS still played around the league. Especially in the East. You shouldn't have needed any further evidence than the Celtics vs. Cav's series. The Cav's averaged 85pts and the Celtics 84pts through the 7 game series.

This series featured great team defense, blocks, contested shots, steals and a relatively "low" scoring affair by both teams. However, it also featured some really great offense too. See Game 7 for evidence, ie. the LeBron vs. Pierce showdown.

Great defense is ALWAYS played in the playoffs...even in games that both teams score in the upper 90s/lower 100s.

Great defense comes in spurts....a block here, a steal there, a forced shot over there...a 24 second clock violation over here.... I mean since when do you NEED to have a game end in 78-72 to be considered a great game because you could not score a lick...? And just because you hold a team to 82 points does NOT automatically mean the other team played great defense. Because someone shot cold does NOT mean great defense was played.

Defensive field goal percentage is the most OVERRATED stat in the NBA. If a team has a TON of wide open shots and miss a ton of lay-ups, does that mean the opposing team played great defense...??!! IF a team threw away a but of passes or dribbled a few balls off their leg, does that mean great defense was played? NO, it means you sucked and "could not stick it in even in if you where in a whore house with a pocket full of money"......:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts