A quick install question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

c_perrone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Hi again all.

I will be installing my new system tomorrow:

Fortec Mercury II
90CM dish
PowerTech DG240
QPH031 LNB.

I think I understand everything such as plumb mast, motor elevation and dish elevation minus declination basically everything except this:

Upon setup should I set the dish to "true south" or my "closest south satellite"?

My lat is 40.921. It's just a little confusing to me as I have seen both mentioned

Also after I set to one or the other above I assume that I can just use the USALS function on the receiver to find the other satellites?

If all this seems to should I then try to tweak the dish after it finds a satellite or would this mess things up...

Sorry for the all the questions..

--Clint--

You need to know what your True South Sat is. Go to "The List" tab at the top of the page, Click the Sat finder, enter your Zip and get your TS Sat.

Use the USALS fuction on your reciever to drive the motor to your nearest true south sat, then rotate the motor and dish as one for azimuth peaking, and elevation on dish only to peak for elevation. Don't adjust declination unless you are certain it is off. Once your true south sat is peaked drive to your eastern and western birds and verify signal.

When I set up my motor I used 89 as my true south sat (I'm at 89.3W) and all the other birds were all on the money with USALS. Remember the elevation scale on your dish may be off by 5 degrees or so. With my 76 cm Alphastar dish the elevation scale was correct but when I replaced it with a 90 cm Ariza dish the scale was reading about 4 degrees too high.

Good luck with the install and have fun feed hunting!:D

Use a Sat Setup page like...
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/H...stallation.htm
enter your zip and select your motor from the bottom of the Sat list.

You should post you Latitude, it case you need help, it will already be there.
Add switches last, if any.
Motor is set to your Lat (40.9(41)) shoudn't need to tweak, elevation marks are accurate(only snug mounting bolts to allow for East / West tweaks, watch you Sig as you tighten, it may drop a little)
Dish elevation marks are known to be off a few deg. So set to strongest Sig.
In the receiver, make sure to have a Live TP selected when trying to setup. You are looking for Quality Strength, Signal Strenght just lets you know that there is power to the LNB.
Very Small moves, Up / Down, Left / Right.
If possible, get your TS Sat first, then pick a Sat as far East / West as your Line of Sight allows. Focus on those 2 Sats, when you can bounce between them with Good Quality, you should be tracking. Just small tweaks from there.
Sunscreen and Lots of liquids. :)

I got it going..

Well thanks to all of you in this forum I am now scanning the sats! The weather has been pretty poor here today with a lot of stoppages due to rain and running back down to the house. I have been able to lock onto almost all of the satellites. My only question is should I be getting a higher signal quality than around 40 on G10R @123? Also my highest quality signal is around 60, is this normal? I have a 90cm dish at 41 lat.

Any way thanks a bunch to all for your help.

--Clint--

PS: I can see how addictive this can be...;)

All receivers show different Quality reading, but you can get better. Since your weather is poor, wait until it improves and try some tweaking. Very Small Moves!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)