A sad day.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
I think that I need grief counseling......

Last week I decided to take the advice of (Tron?) who said to stop at your local cable company and see if they had any dishes that they might not want. I did this, and had to go through a receptionist, who then went off to ask someone else. He told her that "we got rid of all of those" For those of you who aren't from Pennsylvania, this means that they disposed of them in some way. I then asked if I might be able to talk to him personally, but by then he was talking on the phone, so I decided to come back another day.

One week had passed, and I was driving past our metal recycling center. I decided that I'd just stop in on the off chance that someone might have done some spring cleaning and thrown out a Primestar dish. I asked Jim (the man in charge) if he'd seen any dishes. He said that, just last week, they had cut up a truck load of them. He said that a company had brought them in, and that one was made of stainless steel. He said that it took two of them to handle it. Apparently there had been quite a few, and all sounded like something that could have been used for KU and C band reception.

I had been so stunned by the thought of cutting up a stainless steel dish, that it didn't register with me about all of the other dishes that must have been destroyed. The really bad part that didn't register until about ten minutes ago (when I got home) was that those dishes came from the very cable company that I had been at the week before. If I would have waited to talk to the guy on the phone (or even came back later) he would have told me that they went to be recycled.

I think that I'll go die now.....

Well, maybe not. :) Jim said that dishes come in spurts, and that he'd give me a call the next time anything comes in.

Sounds like a similar situation down here in New Orleans a couple of months ago. A local electronics shop was disposing of truckloads of 6-10' dishes. I was able, with the help of another forum member, to salvage one of them (6' Ku Andrews), but many others went to the dump. There are still some there, though, and one of these days I need to stop by and inquire about them.

Tron,
Hope that you go soon. :) With the prices of scrap metal on the continual rise, people are going to be cutting power lines, and stealing train tracks like they do in India.

I look for a lot of unused BUD's (and other cool things) to disappear over the coming year.

I've been seeing a lot more pickup trucks filled with junk going by. I've also been seeing a lot more ads in the paper placed by people looking for scrap.

Take care.
Tim

Now it's getting to be even more than just the scrap metal. Most electronics might also have amounts of gold or silver in them both of which are near 25 year highs...if there's say 1/100th of a ounce of gold that's easily $6.

If you really want to hear about a dumping back in the day in the 80's Atari made more ET games than systems. Supposedly they buried a ton of them in a landfill in Arizona.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)