a SquareShooter question

elocs

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 9, 2004
La Crosse, WI
The only local broadcasting hd that I do not get is an NBC affiliate. I am in La Crosse, Wisconsin (54603) which is nearly the same distance, but neither close to two NBC affiliates: WEAU in Eau Claire (58 miles to my NE) and KTTC in Rochester (66 miles to my W). The natural to go for would at first seem to be WEAU, but it is NE and my other stations are SW and NW and much closer. This would entail a tall antenna and a rotor, which my installer tried to convince me would not work anyway as he tried to talk me away from Voom and going to Dish (nice work for a Voom installer, huh?). But afterwards I thought that I might not want an antenna with a rotor just for one single station.
Then I thought about KTTC which is 66 miles (7 further than WEAU), but to my west and in the direction which my SquareShooter is already pointed.

My SquareShooter is not amplified, but would this be a possibility if it was? Or are both choices outside the outer limit of the SS? Also, I tried my SS as a regular antenna and it was bad, not better than rabbit ears. In La Crosse, a decent set top antenna will pull in KTTC which is on both channel 10 vhf and 67 uhf. I thought the SS would at least act as a decent uhf antenna since it pulls in the close uhf hd stations just fine. I want to get NBC on either sd or preferably hd so I can drop cable and save $13 a month.
La Crosse has its own CBS, ABC, PBS, Fox, and WB stations, but is an island for NBC. I believe both NBC stations are operating in high power for hd.

Any ideas? TIA

elocs said:
The only local broadcasting hd that I do not get is an NBC affiliate. I am in La Crosse, Wisconsin (54603) which is nearly the same distance, but neither close to two NBC affiliates: WEAU in Eau Claire (58 miles to my NE) and KTTC in Rochester (66 miles to my W). The natural to go for would at first seem to be WEAU, but it is NE and my other stations are SW and NW and much closer. This would entail a tall antenna and a rotor, which my installer tried to convince me would not work anyway as he tried to talk me away from Voom and going to Dish (nice work for a Voom installer, huh?). But afterwards I thought that I might not want an antenna with a rotor just for one single station.
Then I thought about KTTC which is 66 miles (7 further than WEAU), but to my west and in the direction which my SquareShooter is already pointed.

My SquareShooter is not amplified, but would this be a possibility if it was? Or are both choices outside the outer limit of the SS? Also, I tried my SS as a regular antenna and it was bad, not better than rabbit ears. In La Crosse, a decent set top antenna will pull in KTTC which is on both channel 10 vhf and 67 uhf. I thought the SS would at least act as a decent uhf antenna since it pulls in the close uhf hd stations just fine. I want to get NBC on either sd or preferably hd so I can drop cable and save $13 a month.
La Crosse has its own CBS, ABC, PBS, Fox, and WB stations, but is an island for NBC. I believe both NBC stations are operating in high power for hd.

Any ideas? TIA

you might get this with a amp but i don't think you will until the super DMA comes to your area cause right now it don't even show a nbc staton in your area . so if and when you dma is large area than i would try the amp.

TYORK said:
you might get this with a amp but i don't think you will until the super DMA comes to your area cause right now it don't even show a nbc staton in your area . so if and when you dma is large area than i would try the amp.

I guess I never thought that the super DMA would be any use to me until now. The NBC affiliate WEAU channel 13 in Eau Claire has been listed in my programming guide from the start, so it's the one I thought to go for, but have never been able to get.
I'll wait and give it a try since it should be simple to do. Both stations are far from me, but maybe one of them might move a tower a little closer to a city of over 50,000. Thanks for the tip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)