A Streaming service dedicated to diginets

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
With the advent of of services like Dish that keeps adding more diginets to its' roster; why hasn't there been a streaming service that offers all or at least most of the available diginets for a small cost? I get some OTA here, but many are missing. That is one reason I stay with Dish. One I would love to have is Decades (once again). The CBS station KOIN Portland had it and then dropped it for Bounce. Portland has several duplicates with diginets too, which I do not understand. Two stations carry Bounce as well as TBD. I am surprised the owners of these would license two stations in the same market to carry the same channel. I would think the cost per diginet would not be much for a streaming service.. Philo I would think would be a good candidate. If there would be any rules regarding carrying a diginet in a market with it available OTA, it could be blocked. Dish does that with METV, if your locals carried by Dish offers the channel, not if you can get it OTA though. But if Dish can carry a big chunk of diginets, why not a streaming service?

rights issue or no one sees any money from such a service.

With the advent of of services like Dish that keeps adding more diginets to its' roster; why hasn't there been a streaming service that offers all or at least most of the available diginets for a small cost? I get some OTA here, but many are missing. That is one reason I stay with Dish. One I would love to have is Decades (once again). The CBS station KOIN Portland had it and then dropped it for Bounce. Portland has several duplicates with diginets too, which I do not understand. Two stations carry Bounce as well as TBD. I am surprised the owners of these would license two stations in the same market to carry the same channel. I would think the cost per diginet would not be much for a streaming service.. Philo I would think would be a good candidate. If there would be any rules regarding carrying a diginet in a market with it available OTA, it could be blocked. Dish does that with METV, if your locals carried by Dish offers the channel, not if you can get it OTA though. But if Dish can carry a big chunk of diginets, why not a streaming service?
Good question. But some of them are on the various streaming cable TV services. YouTube TV has Cozi TV, Comet and Start TV. Fubo TV has GetTV and Comet. Hulu + Live TV has Cozi TV.

My parents have DISH and even though MeTV is available OTA in their market (it's a subchannel on the local CW station), they still get MeTV through DISH. It's by far the most popular/famous diginet. Odd that DISH is the only cable TV operator that has made an effort to carry it nationally.

Any streaming FTA services carry Decades, which is not available in Albuquerque's TV market? :hatsoff :hungry
No, as far as I know, Decades isn't available via streaming at all. It's co-owned by Weigel (the company that owns MeTV) and CBS, which probably complicates matters when it comes to ever putting it on streaming platforms. I think a lot (all?) of the classic shows aired on Decades are owned by CBS, and therefore many of them may be available on-demand from the CBS All Access (soon to be renamed Paramount+) service for $6/mo with ads or $10/mo ad-free. Although I've read that classic TV shows on that service typically don't include ads even on the $6 plan.

Reactions: N5XZS
If CBS could offer a streaming version of Decades, it least it would be available. LoCast has it in some markets, but only if it is available in that market OTA. I am trying to get one of the Portland stations to carry it once again. Later this year the line up should change, as Scripps bought ION and the Scripps diginets are Bounce, Laff, and I think a couple others should be moving to the ION stations in the market. The Portland stations will have to fill the gap with something. However, the Portland stations do not call the shots on what is carried. It comes from Corporate. I have suggested Dish carry Decades as they have METV, Comet, Start, Heroes & Icons, Buzzr, Bounce, Laff, Get TV, and Cozi now. Most of the rest of the diginets are streaming or OTA here. Wanted Circle and they stream for free. Decades & Movies may be the only ones we don't get it some form.

No, as far as I know, Decades isn't available via streaming at all. It's co-owned by Weigel (the company that owns MeTV) and CBS, which probably complicates matters when it comes to ever putting it on streaming platforms. I think a lot (all?) of the classic shows aired on Decades are owned by CBS, and therefore many of them may be available on-demand from the CBS All Access (soon to be renamed Paramount+) service for $6/mo with ads or $10/mo ad-free. Although I've read that classic TV shows on that service typically don't include ads even on the $6 plan.
If CBS Access started having a roster of their old shows from the 50s & 60s, I would subscribe.

Locast carries everything..depending on market...use a VPN..set it for los angelas and you will be good (vpn app on firetv)
Which is illegal to use. Locast is not authorized to offer local channels in markets they do not serve. Using a VPN to circumvent that is a good way for Locast to get shutdown by not policing their service areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is illegal to use. Locast is not authorized to offer local channels in markets they do not serve. Using a VPN to circumvent that is a good way for Locast to get shutdown by not policing their service areas. So thank you for using a VPN and hurting their cause offering local channels to areas they serve.
Its not illegal to use a vpn...its illegal to sell distant local service which licast is not doing

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)