A Tricky Slinglink Question

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Ok, here's my situation. My home is serviced with two electrical panels. One for the older section (old fuse type) and one for an addition that was built in 1969. The master breaker for the whole house is on the new panel. My computer and router are in the old. My 722K in the newer. My guess is, and what I'm hoping for confirmation of, is that a Slinglink would not work because of the independent boxes. The only commonality is the main feed. Running an outlet from old to new would be impossible. Maybe some of you are electrical gurus. Opinions???

Separate panels don't matter. What COULD matter is whether or not the two outlets are on different "legs" of the service. If you have a 220V appliance such as a range (with a 110V control panel) or dryer hooked up, it will probably act as a "bridge" between the two legs.

Brad

Separate panels don't matter. What COULD matter is whether or not the two outlets are on different "legs" of the service. If you have a 220V appliance such as a range (with a 110V control panel) or dryer hooked up, it will probably act as a "bridge" between the two legs.

Brad
Range is on OLD panel...the old tube fuse/pull out. Dryer is on a third (I forgot about it) panel...a 30 amp fuse.

You should still be O.K. The old section that is two wire is just missing the ground.
The neutral should still be common to the new section.

I dont think it will work if the computer/router is on a different service line than the receiver - same as a Phonex or Dishcomm not working if all the components aren't on the same line. Only way to know for sure is try it..or get somebody with one of those fancy new Dish Network LAN testers :)

"or get somebody with one of those fancy new Dish Network LAN testers :) "

i got one!

dont ever use it though, why bother when i could just throw in the slinglink and see if it works. the only time it hasnt, i tried another outlet nearby and then it did.