Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
AACS copy protection for Blu-ray disc and HD DVD delayed again? - Not Any more!

According to the article by heise online posted today, the launch of HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats may be postponed once again due to delays with the AACS copy protection specifications!

Last Friday, the meeting of the AACS LA was to resolve the final specifications of the new Advanced Access Content System (AACS). But insiders are reporting that no such agreement was reached. Instead, it is said that an important member of the Blu-ray Disc Association is still voicing concerns about the interaction of AACS and the additional BD+ protection for Blu-ray movies. The next meeting is scheduled for February 23rd and 24th.

Without the AACS specification, the copy protection keys that manufacturers of drives and media need cannot be produced. For instance, manufacturers such as NEC, Pioneer, Samsung, and Toshiba are eagerly awaiting the specifications so they can implement AACS in their equipment.

Hollywood movie studios are insisting that such protection be included in all drives. Without AACS, high-resolution movies can't be played back. A Mandatory Managed Copy (MMC) can, however, be made. Only if the holder of the copyright gives explicit consent may a limited number of copies of the original disc be created; the movie may also not be streamed via a Media Center or to mobile devices without express consent. An online connection is required to check for rights to make a permitted copy. The holder of the copyright may, however, completely rule out copies or demand a fee.

AACS can renew device keys, thereby blocking manipulated drives. BD+ provides additional protection for Blu-ray discs: here, a program in a Java Virtual Machine constantly monitors the movie's data stream and stops playback if there is any manipulation. To prevent the data stream from being grabbed on its path from the player software to the graphics card, Microsoft's Certified Output Protection Protocol (COPP) will monitor the connection. Among other things, COPP is designed to prevent movies from being output to a virtual graphics card that redirects the data into a file. Graphics cards can be upgraded to COPP by means of a driver update; Windows XP supports COPP upwards of Service Pack 2, as will the upcoming Windows Vista.

In turn, HD output is only possible if the graphics card encrypts the digital monitor signal at the DVI output via HDCP or if it has an HDMI output. Likewise, the monitor must support HDCP / HDMI. Without this encryption, the movie will only be played in standard resolutions. The first graphics cards that support HDCP are to hit stores in the 2nd quarter; current models cannot be upgraded because they lack the special BIOS chip required.

Now that the AACS specification has been postponed once again, the sales releases announced for the first Blu-ray burners, HD DVD drives, and stand-alone players at the beginning of March will probably not be possible; we can expect the delay to move the schedule back at least one month. As one Blu-ray manufacturer told heise online, "We need at least two or three weeks to apply for the keys and implement the system." (Craig Morris) / (jk/c't)

Read the article here.

UPDATE (7/17/06): The AACS agreement has been reached! No delays expected!

If this is true, then Toshiba has already missed the March release. For March, players and discs would have to be in production yesterday.

This really helps the blue ray camp (since their release isn't till the end of the year). Maybe that's the real reason the blu-ray camp is whining.

Last edited:
What I don't understand, is why would this BD+ protection controversy have any effect on HD DVD? Can anyone make some sense of this?

Perhaps the blu-ray people are refusing to sign-off on the AACS spec because of "possible" contention with BD+ (sounds like they have to co-exist on blu-ray discs).

Ilya said:
What I don't understand, is why would this BD+ protection controversy have any effect on HD DVD? Can anyone make some sense of this?

Because they wouldn't be standard players.
What you can see, dear Ilya, is nothing but Blu-Ray is trying to buy more time, I think because they are still far from being able to mass produce their stuff and also they are trying to dance around the Mandated part of MMC.

I hope HD-DVD will break off on Feb 24th if Blu-Ray will continued its monkey business - then they will have a very good position to do whatever they want to do, without Blu-Ray.

PS: also keep in mind, Blu-Ray is still MPEG2, as of now.

Blu Ray is the betamax of the next gen! Sony cant put out any new format right.

Betamax- MiniDisk-High8-MiniDVD-Memorystick................

Argh....should have figured this would happen. I don't doubt this is at least in part a control play by the BD folks.

The longer the AACS takes to be finalized the less of a gap there will be between HDDVD release and BluRay... What went from a possible 4+ month advantage of HD-DVD now is looking like 1 month or less now...

mike123abc said:
The longer the AACS takes to be finalized the less of a gap there will be between HDDVD release and BluRay... What went from a possible 4+ month advantage of HD-DVD now is looking like 1 month or less now...

Ummm, really? It's been 2-3 weeks yet, so how so?

You seem to forget that HD-DVD can opt out anytime from this whole circus and start shipping its own set... now THAT would really f*** Blu-Ray. :D

T2k said:
Ummm, really? It's been 2-3 weeks yet, so how so?

You seem to forget that HD-DVD can opt out anytime from this whole circus and start shipping its own set... now THAT would really f*** Blu-Ray. :D

Perhaps, but without without AACS sign-off the content providers (MPAA) could potentially shut down the whole thing before it ever startes.

Their is no delay in Toshiba's March 28 scheduled delivery date of their HD DVD players. They are limited in allocation for the first production and the HD DVDs are also limited in availability.

But many folks who placed their advance-orders early will be enjoying HD DVDs and connecting to the Internet to stream HD content by the end of next month.

-Robert

All right Value Electronics

I am glad i placed my order for my Toshiba at Value Elctronics, the last post owner said we will be enjoying our hd dvd player end of next month, yeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,.\

Sony can go to hell!

A critical hurdle to the launch of both the Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats was cleared late Wednesday when negotiators reached agreement on an interim license for the AACS copy-protection system slated to be used by both high-definition formats, sources involved in the discussions said.

The interim agreement will permit hardware makers and disc replicators in both format camps to obtain the secret encryption keys needed to start pressing discs and shipping players capable of reading the discs.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
... connecting to the Internet to stream HD content...
Wow! Interesting! Do you have any details on this? What kind of Internet connection is required for that?

Glad you asked. Just plug in a plain old CAT5 or wireless into the RJ45 chassis jack on the HD-A1 or HD-XA1 HD DVD player and you have your new exclusive HD portal open to the World Wide Web.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Glad you asked. Just plug in a plain old CAT5 or wireless into the RJ45 chassis jack on the HD-A1 or HD-XA1 HD DVD player and you have your new exclusive HD portal open to the World Wide Web.

-Robert

Any idea what level of www interaction we'll get from these players? For example, will we be able to check email, or web browse, or is this likely more of an open door for on-demand content, firmware updates and the like?

What I am wondering, is what kind of Internet bandwidth is needed for the player to do streaming video in HD? I suspect standard DSL at 1.5 Mbps would not be enough, even in MPEG4. Verizon FiOS would work though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts