Blu-ray Wallops HD DVD In Disc Sales

They may very well be wrapped with a bow right now. Traditionally that is what happens in November. :rolleyes:

So IF this theory is true, can we assume the gift giver would have purchased at least one HDDVD movie for the gift recipient to enjoy xmas day?
So isn't it reasonable to assume that HDDVD software sales should at LEAST EQUAL hardware sales?
Please compare the HDDVD software/hardware sales during the Walmart liquidation sale to support your attach rate theory.
Or could this mean that Uncle Joe and Aunt Mary received a standard dvd to attach to their new HD player:eek: or worse, did not receive a movie at all.:(

You'd have a point but the best that i've seen about data on Wal-Mart figures (from people on this board) is 'NPD gets SOME data' while article(s) about the ratio state that despite Wal-Mart being responsible for up to 40% of this market their sales are not included in NPD numbers (HighDefDigest maybe?)

I agree with randers. You can bet your bottom dollar that if there was a large discrepancy between the nielson #'s and the real sales data that both Toshiba and the BDA would be screaming foul when applicable.

One has to wonder how many of the $98 HD-DVD player buyers bought them for upconverting DVDs, since they did not seem go buy any HD-DVDs. 100k players, if they each bought 1-2 discs, HD-DVD would have won the week.

Face it neither format is going to lose. There are too many people with too many players now. I see a lot of dual format players in the future.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if there was a large discrepancy between the nielson #'s and
the real sales data that both Toshiba and the BDA would be screaming foul when applicable.
How would they know?
Unlike the BD leader (Sony), its HD counterparts (Toshiba and Microsoft) ain't studios.
I think, the only real concern for them is Warner: as long as they are neutral, the war rages on.

Your statement can be turned around: "You can bet your bottom dollar that if there was a large
discrepancy between" Warner's profit from BD vs. HD, they would have dropped HD in a heartbeat.

And studios profits - not disc sales, not player sales, not attachment rates, not standalones vs. consoles, etc. - will in the end make them pick sides.
Even if those profits come from kickbacks and the like. And Warner, having its chips in both camps and accounting for about 25% of both camps' titles,
can singlehandedly end this war, I believe. But something keeps them neutral...:)

I wouldn't be surprised if both sides pay them to stay neutral. I don't think either group can afford to buy their exclusivity. At least legally.

Diogen.

So IF this theory is true, can we assume the gift giver would have purchased at least one HDDVD movie for the gift recipient to enjoy xmas day?
So isn't it reasonable to assume that HDDVD software sales should at LEAST EQUAL hardware sales?
Please compare the HDDVD software/hardware sales during the Walmart liquidation sale to support your attach rate theory.
Or could this mean that Uncle Joe and Aunt Mary received a standard dvd to attach to their new HD player:eek: or worse, did not receive a movie at all.:(
Go find your own stats. If you are ignorant of them I am sure not going to do your research for you.

I disagree, eventually it will be even if current trends continue.

You people just don't get it. WIth the HD DVD attach rate, if HD DVD continues to sell players at the current recent rate they will quickly even up the movie sales. Sony knows this and that is why they are talking to Toshiba.

Current trends, like the one where BD's lead jumped from 2:1 (ok, 1.94:1) to 2.65:1 last week? :rolleyes:

Haven't we established by now that all of these numbers (on both sides) are meaningless marketing drivel?

Ever wonder why percentages are reported? Probably because the number of discs sold is abysmal. When an Big title HD disc sells 1.5% of what an SD DVD sells, there's a problem. People aren't buying, and it is much more than the format war. When numbers are in the millions and not the thousands, we can talk.

S~

Maybe if the war was over, the studios and consumers could start moving on with their lives, this whole format war is just gonna depress the market. I wish Warner would just drop HD-DVD and start the end to this war, it would be better for everyone involved.

Maybe if the war was over, the studios and consumers could start moving on with their lives, this whole format war is just gonna depress the market. I wish Warner would just drop HD-DVD and start the end to this war, it would be better for everyone involved.

It might be better for your, Mr. Rich Man, to spend $500 on a player that can't even do PIP and drop another $500 to do what HD-DVD can do now.

Do the numbers account for sales on Amazon, Deep Discount, etc? I know where i live the stores barely carry HD-DVD. My local target carries every BD released and has only catalog titles on HD-DVD. They did not even carry Transformers when it was released on HD. So i buy all my HD-DVDs (113 and counting) from Amazon. I mean think about it if there are 2x many NEW RELEASE BD discs for sale than CATALOG HD-DVD I would hope that BD would wallop. The fact that HD is selling as well as it is without store and studio support should tell everyone that HD is where its at.
BTW, I am still waiting for the Sammy dual player so I can be win-win.

The main store worth noting that they dont carry is Walmart, but Walmart has never given this data out.

Amazon is included and thats where I buy all my flicks. Bought Batman Begins and F4 Silver Surfer today.

It might be better for your, Mr. Rich Man, to spend $500 on a player that can't even do PIP and drop another $500 to do what HD-DVD can do now.

Not many people it seems are willing to shell out $30 for a movie, so HD is still pretty much an early adapter format as far as I see it, and who said I was rich?

How can you afford $30 movies, you must be rich!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)