Blu-ray Wallops HD DVD In Disc Sales

I know what you're saying but BD wins every week no matter what HD-DVD puts out.

...and nearly every title released on both formats sells better on BD.

That too, but PoC3 is going to outsell of those combined together.

What about "Superbad"? Have you cooled on that?

Superbad, still is going to do well, but I dubt on BR-Disc, but I have a strong belief it will do extremely well on DVD only.
I am still getting it for BR, because that movie its extremely fun!

I noticed that none of the HD-DVD guys have chimed in about Amazon's BOGO HD-DVD sale over Black Friday Weekend nor did they say anything about other retailers doing the BOGO on HD-DVD. It must be pretty frustrating when even when your format does a BOGO you fall futher behind. No matter how you slice this up -- especially after the dumping of 90,000 HD-DVD players at $98 this does not look good for HD-DVD. Sometimes the numbers just can not be overlooked. Most of the HD-DVD supporters here are Netflix guys -- guess those rentals are not helping your numbers. What's next -- players for free if you will just buy a HD-DVD movie??

I noticed that none of the HD-DVD guys have chimed in about Amazon's BOGO HD-DVD sale over Black Friday Weekend nor did they say anything about other retailers doing the BOGO on HD-DVD. It must be pretty frustrating when even when your format does a BOGO you fall futher behind. No matter how you slice this up -- especially after the dumping of 90,000 HD-DVD players at $98 this does not look good for HD-DVD. Sometimes the numbers just can not be overlooked. Most of the HD-DVD supporters here are Netflix guys -- guess those rentals are not helping your numbers. What's next -- players for free if you will just buy a HD-DVD movie??

That's funny..... but technically it was a BTGO (Buy two, get one), right?

I love how you guys continue to argue over movie sales. BD has and will continue to outsell HDDVD movies, bet on it. If the player war is to be decided who sells the most movies, no contest.

BD just sells more every week, PERIOD.

I love how you guys continue to argue over movie sales. BD has and will continue to outsell HDDVD movies, bet on it. If the player war is to be decided who sells the most movies, no contest.

BD just sells more every week, PERIOD.

Agreed.

If you look at it from the perspective of the studios and the hardware companies (excluding Sony and Toshiba) there is more money to be made through Blu-Ray. Without a significant change in software sales, the only way for Toshiba to win is to keep paying off movie studios for exclusivity.

ONLY way I see HDDVD winning is if they convince Warner be to exclusive AND Disney and/or Fox go neutral.

I dont see Warner picking HDDVD if they are in fact looking at movie sales, unless M$ comes up with another 150mil :)

ONLY way I see HDDVD winning is if they convince Warner be to exclusive AND Disney and/or Fox go neutral.

I dont see Warner picking HDDVD if they are in fact looking at movie sales, unless M$ comes up with another 150mil :)
I disagree, eventually it will be even if current trends continue.

I know what you're saying but BD wins every week no matter what HD-DVD puts out.

...and nearly every title released on both formats sells better on BD.
You people just don't get it. WIth the HD DVD attach rate, if HD DVD continues to sell players at the current recent rate they will quickly even up the movie sales. Sony knows this and that is why they are talking to Toshiba.

Sony’s CEO, Howard Stringer, has set off a lot of AV and movie industry speculation that the electronics super power and movie studio may be working to either become format “neutral” or might be working back channels to negotiate a deal to merge the Blu-ray format with the competing HD DVD format. These comments about the two formats being in a “stalemate” come as HD DVD has picked up significant momentum through its retail partners who a little more than a week ago were able to drop the price of HD DVD players to $99. Sony’s least expensive and most effective Blu-ray player is their Playstation 3 game console, which starts at $399.

More ammunition to the potential end of the format war is that both sides have backed away from their vast promotional campaign in print, on television and on the Internet at the least likely of times. With pre-Black-Friday sales sparking the sale of 90,000 HD DVD players clearly there are a lot of mainstream consumers sitting on the sidelines waiting to buy players yet both the HD DVD consortium and the Blu-ray Association seem to be watching how this fight progresses with a little conservatism as the all-important holiday season approaches.

A Sony format consultant, since the advent of the Compact Disc, suggests the idea that Sony might pull the plug on Blu-ray is “not going to happen” and notes that Blu-ray is not only supported by many of the top studios, it is also the backbone of Sony’s flagship game console. Video gaming leads to the main reason why Sony doesn’t need to admit defeat. Playstation coexists with Nintendo’s Wii and Microsoft’s Xbox 360 in a booming HD-driven gaming market. With Blu-ray powering Playstation 3 and studios like Disney and Fox as well as Sony Pictures cranking out 1080p movies for the format – why can’t consumers buy both players and both disc formats?

Imagine if Sony did pull the plug on Blu-ray – which they won't anytime soon – what type of message would Sony be sending to mainstream movie-buying consumers who have avoided both HD disc formats because of fears of a VHS versus Beta repeat that could result in them owning the wrong player and thousands of dollars in discs that are useless?

With the impressive volume of HDTVs being sold each month paired with the millions of legacy HDTVs currently installed in the marketplace – there is no reason to believe Sony or the HD DVD camp will be giving in anytime soon. If a deal was to happen where the formats would have been merged – it would have happened before either of the two competing formats launched. Warner recently announced that their attempt at software convergence of the formats with their TotalHD disc is postponed indefinitely. The only hope now for merging would be a takeover by combo-format players. For now, expect both to have a strong holiday selling season and grow as Playstation and Xbox did in years past.

Source: AVRev News

It seems to me that we should have seen a big jump in HD-DVD movie sales with the $98 fire sale, I can not believe people would go out and buy an HD player and not buy at least a couple of HD movies. I suspect that most of those Toshiba players were bought as an up converting DVD player. I think the attach rate that you so highly tout has just dropped. All those cheap players and yet sales for HD-DVD disks dropped.

It seems to me that we should have seen a big jump in HD-DVD movie sales with the $98 fire sale, I can not believe people would go out and buy an HD player and not buy at least a couple of HD movies. I suspect that most of those Toshiba players were bought as an up converting DVD player. I think the attach rate that you so highly tout has just dropped. All those cheap players and yet sales for HD-DVD disks dropped.
They may very well be wrapped with a bow right now. Traditionally that is what happens in November. :rolleyes:

The ps3 is selling well plus BD player prices are getting lower. HDDVD will NOT "even" the count in movie sells unless the studio situations change.

And once again with the attach rate, its INACCURATE. Counting all the PS3's makes the HDDVD attach rate look much better than it really is. There are many people in the industry much smarter than us and I imagine they dont put much stake in the attach rate number people keep trying to use. MOVIE SALES WEEKLY is where its at.

If there was a way to know exactly how many ps3's were used for movies, we'd see the attach rate is not going to be very different between the two. To think the HDDVD crowd(who paid 1/2 as much for thier players) is spending MORE money on movies than a guy who bought the more expensive player is just idiotic.

What retailers did BOGO free on HD-DVD? Amazon did a buy 2 get one free for BOTH HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Fry's did a $13 HD-DVD catalog sale for FOUR Universal titles. There was no nationwide weeklong BOGO free for HD-DVD. There never has been.

The ps3 is selling well plus BD player prices are getting lower. HDDVD will NOT "even" the count in movie sells unless the studio situations change.

And once again with the attach rate, its INACCURATE. Counting all the PS3's makes the HDDVD attach rate look much better than it really is. There are many people in the industry much smarter than us and I imagine they dont put much stake in the attach rate number people keep trying to use. MOVIE SALES WEEKLY is where its at.

If there was a way to know exactly how many ps3's were used for movies, we'd see the attach rate is not going to be very different between the two. To think the HDDVD crowd(who paid 1/2 as much for thier players) is spending MORE money on movies than a guy who bought the more expensive player is just idiotic.

Very TRUE!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts