AB IPBox 9000HD (NEW)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
I just received my new AB IPBox 9000HD receiver. To be honest, I do not know what the heck I am doing with this gizmo! WOW! This machine is quite "squirrelly"!

I am getting it to operate, but it is sure a pain! I am doing my best, but I sure would appreciate any tips from someone who has one of these boxes.

First of all, I cannot get the HDMI signal to play ball with my SHARP AQUOS TV. I can only get the S-Video signal to function, and that is in black and white.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

The BLIND SCAN function is the ultimate! It is giving me a pain to enter a sat and get every option set up appropriately, but when that is accomplished, it BLIND SCANS the sat in just a few seconds or up to a minut and a half (depending upon how many TPs are on the sat).

I cannot seem to figure out how to scan just ONE satellite, though. When I get a new sat entered and try to scan, the box wants to scan every sat that is in my new list, not just the one that I want. Guess I have some learning ahead of me!

I am hoping that someone here has some experience with this machine or something similar and can provide some advice to me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and if you can help, you will make this cat very happy! :)

RADAR

Wow radar, you must have the newest bestest, there, lol. I never heard of that one, how about a link or some pics, it sounds interesting.

Wow radar, you must have the newest bestest, there, lol. I never heard of that one, how about a link or some pics, it sounds interesting.

Hey Turbo! Great to hear from you bud!

I am a little confused with this receiver, but I am merely getting started with it. It certainly isn't an easy box to operate, but it does have some really great advantages. There isn't a great deal of support for this box yet, the company that manufactures it is home based in the Slovak Republic. For me to be able to buy this unit was like pulling teeth. I finally found a company out of Germany (Satboy) that provided this sale.

If you would like to research this receiver, simply Google for "AB IPBox" or AB-Com satellite receivers.

This is an awesome STB, but I need a lot of training with it. I am pretty close to being "LOST", but I am making progress. This box is awesome, and yet it is difficult to manage as it is very quirky and also unfamiliar to me.

I am watching TV with it now, but it isn't set up correctly just yet. I will keep researching and trying until I get it right. You are all welcome to join in and provide some hints if you have any! :)

RADAR

Nice find Radar! I've never heard of that box before, but I did check out AB's website, it looks like another one of those "everything plus the kitchen sink" in a box, which is what I'm looking for. Two questions: does it do 4:2:2, and what modules does it come with...as in DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-T, etc...?

The BLIND SCAN function is the ultimate! It is giving me a pain to enter a sat and get every option set up appropriately, but when that is accomplished, it BLIND SCANS the sat in just a few seconds or up to a minut and a half (depending upon how many TPs are on the sat).
I do not believe the unit has Blind Scanning ability.
In the Manual, there are only 2 scan options available: Automatic and Manual
"Automatic" is described as scanning all TPs already entered into the Sat.
"Manual" is manual, enter a new TP and Scan, there is also an Advanded Scan for PID scanning.

Nice find Radar! I've never heard of that box before, but I did check out AB's website, it looks like another one of those "everything plus the kitchen sink" in a box, which is what I'm looking for. Two questions: does it do 4:2:2, and what modules does it come with...as in DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-T, etc...?

Dashaund,

You can get the 9000HD with any two tuner modules you like (DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-T and DVB-C). I ordered the 9000HD PLUS which comes with two DVB-S2 tuner modules installed, and which will handle 4.2.2. The tuner modules are "plug-and-play" so you can easily swap them out for whatever you desire.

RADAR

I do not believe the unit has Blind Scanning ability.
In the Manual, there are only 2 scan options available: Automatic and Manual
"Automatic" is described as scanning all TPs already entered into the Sat.
"Manual" is manual, enter a new TP and Scan, there is also an Advanded Scan for PID scanning.

Hello Lak7,

The 9000HD does have a BLIND SCAN feature as one of the options. I cannot attest to how accurate it is just yet, but it is fast.

RADAR

This is a nice video on youtube. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp_lsqKAK4c]YouTube - AB IPBox 9000 HD[/ame] . It does not mention blind scan though. And it does not have Passthrough Capability so you have to set a fixed output resolution either 720p or 1080i. The question is wouldn't it be easier just to passthrough instead of using an internal video scaler to change the format?. Why is so difficult to find HD boxes with Passthrough capabilities, I wonder?.

The 9000HD does have a BLIND SCAN feature as one of the options. I cannot attest to how accurate it is just yet, but it is fast.
I must have downloaded an old manual, a newer Cube Revo manual does show Blind Scan as an option.
Looks to be the All-In-One unit. :)
DVB-S2 Blind Scan, 4:2:2, and PVR ready.

Do you know which DVB-S2 tuner you received?

I must have downloaded an old manual, a newer Cube Revo manual does show Blind Scan as an option.
Looks to be the All-In-One unit. :)
DVB-S2 Blind Scan, 4:2:2, and PVR ready.

Do you know which DVB-S2 tuner you received?

Lak,

I didn't know that they offered more than one DVB-S2 tuner type. I had the unit open to inspect, but didn't take any numbers off the tuners other than checking to verify that they were both DVB-S2.

The manual that I received with the unit is in German, so I had to download an English version and print it out. However, neither manual indicates a blind scan capabilityl, but it does present itself in the menus. I think that this may be because they are still upgrading their software and the manuals were written prior to the blind scan addition.

RADAR

You would want the Sharp tuner vs. the Conaxsat

Thanks Lak,

Next time I open the box I will check to see which ones are actually installed. I am just experimenting with it now, trying the blind scan of Galaxy 16 at the moment.

One thing that I have not figured out yet is how to prevent the box from scanning ALL satellites. When I just want to scan one new sat, it wants to scan all the other sats that I have stored previously. Hmmphh!

By the way, it picked up the RTN channels on 83W without a problem, and it did find a channel (HOR2 7K-B) on 74W - not sure what that is, it is new to me.

RADAR

One thing that I have not figured out yet is how to prevent the box from scanning ALL satellites. When I just want to scan one new sat, it wants to scan all the other sats that I have stored previously. Hmmphh!
I you haven't yet, check to see if you are running the latest Firmware.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)