ABC secondary feed moving from G16 to G19 starting this week (dual illumination until 9/30/22)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ancient

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2014
USA
Saw this tonight...

ABC moving announcement.png

If anyone knows the exact frequency, SR, FEC, etc. of the G19 feeds please post them (it says the polarity is vertical, so we know that at least). Also, I never realized this was considered "secondary" distribution; I wonder where the primary is?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Update: I tried using all the current G16 settings for G19 except the polarity and it appears to be working, although at the moment all of the channels appear to be showing the exact same program (middle of the night, so not too surprising).

4120V / 30000
DVB-S2 / 8PSK
9/10 FEC

Reactions: FTA4PA
I just scanned 97W and ABC feeds are there... all 4:2:2 and still not watchable without a PC tuner card or streaming to a separate device.

I just scanned 97W and ABC feeds are there... all 4:2:2 and still not watchable without a PC tuner card or streaming to a separate device.

Yes, it appears to be almost exactly the same as the Galaxy 16 feed except the channels are in slightly different order. So you would need to use a tuner card, or record the stream and play it on something with more CPU/GPU power, may also have to use ffmpeg or similar to reencode the six discrete audio channels down to ac3 5.1 or some other format your receiver can handle (although if I recall correctly there is a plain stereo stream on the last audio channel).

In ABC parlance, the feeds on Galaxy 16/21C are considered "primary" distribution.
Oh, that's interesting. I actually saw the above slide on Galaxy 16/21C so just assumed that was what was moving, but looking at it more closely I see it is the feed on Galaxy 16/13C (which I never even knew was there) that is moving. So maybe the primary feed on Galaxy 16/21C is staying where it is?

Seems a little strange that they would put their primary and secondary feeds on the same satellite; I thought the whole point of a secondary feed was to have redundancy in case a satellite croaks for some reason, or in case the primary happens to be behind some obstruction at the station location. So it's probably a really good idea to move the secondary feed to a different satellite, I'm just surprised that both the primary and secondary have ever been on the same bird.

Seems a little strange that they would put their primary and secondary feeds on the same satellite; I thought the whole point of a secondary feed was to have redundancy in case a satellite croaks for some reason, or in case the primary happens to be behind some obstruction at the station location. So it's probably a really good idea to move the secondary feed to a different satellite, I'm just surprised that both the primary and secondary have ever been on the same bird.
The secondary distribution had, for years, been on Galaxy 3C/15C, but due to the issues at that location (see 95w Gone??), they had to make an abrupt move earlier this month. Galaxy 16/13C is just a brief stop in a transition from Galaxy 3C to Galaxy 19. The signals are on two different satellites for the reasons you mention, and Galaxy 16/21C is supposed to remain the primary distribution.