5G Vulnerability

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
I've read about some of your experiences with 5G interference and trying to figure out my luck in the matter.

I live 700ft from a cell tower that is 80 or so degrees to the right of my due south position, so the tower is not down-range of any satellite I would be aimed at. I was thinking that when 5G came to town, just by proximity alone and clear line-of-sight to the tower, that I'd have some random reception problems but I just checked the service maps for Rogers and Telus/Bell and both show 5G is alive on the tower. So far I am not noticing it.

Am I lucky?

I've read about some of your experiences with 5G interference and trying to figure out my luck in the matter.

I live 700ft from a cell tower that is 80 or so degrees to the right of my due south position, so the tower is not down-range of any satellite I would be aimed at. I was thinking that when 5G came to town, just by proximity alone and clear line-of-sight to the tower, that I'd have some random reception problems but I just checked the service maps for Rogers and Telus/Bell and both show 5G is alive on the tower. So far I am not noticing it.

Am I lucky?
Depends on the frequencies and companies using the tower...

Thanks - Yes, that's the luck so far, I guess. Some further reading found that they are all using 3.5Ghz, outside of C Band, but they are exploring future 3.8+Ghz. Really, there are a ton of spectrum allotments, but 3.5Ghz is the closest to anything I care about.

Reading all about the new 5G filtered LNBFs people are trying out and the various issues some people are having, it had me fearing my beloved Chaparral C/Ku corotor was going to become an issue. Looks like it'll be a while still.

The 5g shouldn't give most any trouble for the American satellites, As the foreign Satellite is a different story since they will be putting they signals on top of the 5g signal, you will definitely need a filter to block the 5g interference.

Am I lucky?
Did you knock out Rogers communications a couple of weeks ago? :hatsoff2

The 5g shouldn't give most any trouble for the American satellites, As the foreign Satellite is a different story since they will be putting they signals on top of the 5g signal, you will definitely need a filter to block the 5g interference.
Sorry, but this statement is incorrect. 5G DOES interfere with reception of the "American" satellites (3.8 - 4.2GHz). A 5G signal can easily overload the LNB and receiver tuner severely degrading reception accross the entire C-band. 3.8 - 4.2 GHz bandpass filtering attenuates the interferring signals outside of the pass-through frequency range so they do not overload the target "American" satellites.

When receiving "foreign" C-band satellites, a bandpass filter is ineffective. You cannot receive weaker satellite signals, which are transmitted on the same frequencies as are being filtered.

The most effective way to receive satellite signals in the 3.4 - 3.8GHz portion of C-band in an area with 3.7GHz 5G, block the terrestrial 5G signal from reaching the dish. How did we deal with telephone microwave relays in the early days of C-band? Move the dish behind a structure or built an RF fence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brct203 and c-spand
Sorry, but this statement is incorrect. 5G DOES interfere with reception of the "American" satellites (3.8 - 4.2GHz). A 5G signal can easily overload the LNB and receiver tuner severely degrading reception accross the entire C-band. 3.8 - 4.2 GHz bandpass filtering attenuates the interferring signals outside of the pass-through frequency range so they do not overload the target "American" satellites.

When receiving "foreign" C-band satellites, a bandpass filter is ineffective. You cannot receive weaker satellite signals, which are transmitted on the same frequencies as are being filtered.

The most effective way to receive satellite signals in the 3.4 - 3.8GHz portion of C-band in an area with 3.7GHz 5G, block the terrestrial 5G signal from reaching the dish. How did we deal with telephone microwave relays in the early days of C-band? Move the dish behind a structure or built an RF fence.
I think you read it wrong "I said it shouldn't give most here in America" not that it will NOT and another thing it varies from LNB's models

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)