ABC's "Lost" runs 62 minutes

JohninSD

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
San Diego
When I watch "Lost" on ABC I've noticed that it runs 2 minutes past the hour, i.e. it's on from 9:00PM to 10:02PM. I haven't noticed any other shows that do this - just wondering if this is meant to discourage people from changing to another channel at 10:00 (as they'll miss either the first 2 minutes of the other show or the last 2 minutes of "Lost"). Or do they really need those extra 2 minutes to tell the story? I think I know the answer, just wondering if this is a common practice and I just haven't noticed it before.

Anyone know if this is the network doing this? Or the local affiliate? I would guess it's the network as the local would have to do some time shifting to make it work.

Its the network. Its to foil DVR users. They figure if you miss the end of the show a couple of times, you will get pissed off and watch it live.

I think that ABC is trying to get us to watch V following Lost. By running over by a couple of minutes you will miss out on the start of other programs on other networks and you might just stay with ABC programming. They really want V to be successful.

Also since Lost is getting better ratings and is in it's final episodes maybe ABC is getting more revenue from advertisers by placing ads within Lost and not V.

Now thankfully my DVR records the entire 62 minutes since the guide is correct and I don't miss anything.

When I watch "Lost" on ABC I've noticed that it runs 2 minutes past the hour, i.e. it's on from 9:00PM to 10:02PM. I haven't noticed any other shows that do this
Really? Gosh this has been incredibly common for many years, and indeed it happened a lot more, in the past than it happens now.

ABC does it quite a bit. Earlier this week, Dancing in the Stars on ABC ran 122 minutes, shrinking Castle to 58 minutes. Fox did it too, expanding Glee to 62 minutes. Last week, Grey's Anatomy was 62 minutes, shrinking Private Practice to 58 minutes. This coming Sunday, Desperate Housewives will be 61 minutes, shrinking Brothers & Sisters to 59 minutes.

Its the network. Its to foil DVR users.
That's a myth. It is the network, but the reasong they do it is that this way, they can charge for one or two minutes of commercials at the the higher advertising rates for a more popular program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts