Abdul-Jabbar states NBA players should be ATLEAST 21...

And very good money, not NBA money, but not too shabby!!

I remember a story we did when I was in Chicago when the BULLS were looking to get Toni Kukoc. Now mind you, Toni was one of the premier players in ALL of Europe at the time. He told us that the now, AVERAGE player....and this was back in 1991-92, the average player made in the low $200,000 per year WITH and apartment, a car with driver AND with maid/butler service. Now, I would not be surprised if it is WAY more than that.

I agree pushing the age back will result in some of the best players going overseas for two year of paychecks before they are drafted into the NBA. There is no way on earth either the NBA or the NCAA can prevent that from happening.

Sandra

I could live with that. I think the whole point is to polish these kids up a little more before they get to the NBA. Some of these kids just aren't college material. They got pushed through high school without learning to read and write, simply because they could "play". You want to play in Europe, fine. We'll scout you there, and when you're ready and old enough, you can come play in the NBA. My biggest problem with the NBA, (besides the players phoning it in for 3 q's) is the underdeveloped children playing in the league.

So you guys are thinking that the majority of top players in HS would opt out to go to Europe for two years vs getting a free ride in a college program ?

I said SOME of the top players would do it, not the majority. Brandon Jennings already did it, and that was only for one year.

Most guys are happy to go through the charade of attending college for a year before they enter the draft. Some will do it for two years, but some will want to go make some big tax free bucks in Europe instead.

Sandra

I said SOME of the top players would do it, not the majority. Brandon Jennings already did it, and that was only for one year.

Most guys are happy to go through the charade of attending college for a year before they enter the draft. Some will do it for two years, but some will want to go make some big tax free bucks in Europe instead.

Sandra

And some like playing in Europe so much that they chose to stay there rather than coming back to the NBA. (Josh Childress).

I posted an article about Josh and all the luxuries he's treated to where he plays in Spain and you know what? I'd be tempted to do the same if given the opportunity.

And some like playing in Europe so much that they chose to stay there rather than coming back to the NBA. (Josh Childress).

I posted an article about Josh and all the luxuries he's treated to where he plays in Spain and you know what? I'd be tempted to do the same if given the opportunity.

When some of these guys see the women in Rome they may never want to come back! :D

Sandra

And not to mention ALL the money they can make in Europe. ALOT of thise leagues, from what I have read have NO salary cap. It's the wild, wild west ....ah...EAST, when it comes to payroll.

Although I agree with Mr. Abdul-Jabbar in principle, the law says you're an adult at age 18 so these kids have every right to play ball professionally whether here or overseas.

...except in the NFL. ;)

Collective bargaining can supercede that law.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts