Abdul-Jabbar states NBA players should be ATLEAST 21...

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Interesting comment and some make valid points.

Abdul-Jabbar says NBA entry age should be 21
By ERIC OLSON, AP Sports Writer
May 12, 8:21 pm EDT

OMAHA, Neb. (AP)—Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says the NBA should raise its minimum age for entry into the league to 21.

The NBA’s career scoring leader said Wednesday there’s a disturbing sense of entitlement among many of today’s young pros.

“They get precocious kids from high school who think they’re rock stars— ‘Where’s my $30 million?’ ” said Abdul-Jabbar, who was in Omaha to speak at the B’nai B’rith sports banquet. “The attitudes have changed, and the game has suffered because of that, and it has certainly hurt the college game.”

The NBA in 2005 changed its entry age to 19. Players who previously might have jumped from high school to the NBA now end up playing one year of college ball before declaring for the draft.

Those players are still too young, Abdul-Jabbar said, and many deprive themselves of the emotional and physical maturity necessary to meet on- and off-the-court challenges.

“When I played, the players had to go to college and earn their way onto the court, meaning that there were upperclassmen ahead of them,” he said. “Players who had to go through that and had to go to class, when they got to be professional athletes, they were a lot better qualified.”

Abdul-Jabbar said if college weren’t the right place for a player, the player should, as an alternative, be required to play in a minor league or developmental league.

Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James became stars right out of high school. The day after James all but disappeared in Cleveland’s playoff loss to Boston, Abdul-Jabbar said even “King James” would have benefited from college.

“He would have come into the professional ranks very polished, given his innate gifts,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “Having to go through a college system would have made him a total gem as soon as he stepped out of the college ranks.”

Abdul-Jabbar says NBA entry age should be 21 - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Interesting comment and some make valid points.

I agree that Mr. Alcindor made some very valid points!

It's true that the NBA has had stars like Moses Malone KG, Kobe, LeBron, Tracy McGrady and others right out of high school, but overall I think it would be best if these kids started in the NBA when they were a bit older.........

It's true that the NBA has had stars like Moses Malone KG, Kobe, LeBron, Tracy McGrady and others right out of high school, but overall I think it would be best if these kids started in the NBA when they were a bit older.........

I agree 100%.

I think they actually start scouting them in middle school. They do that in latin america for baseball. AND if you don't think these kids and parents are noticing it...you are blind.

I don't think there should be any mandate, it should be the kid's decision.

I totally agree with that AIR PILOT from Airplane.

airplane_still.jpg

Nice idea in principle, but all it would mean is more top prospects like Brandon Jennings and Jeremy Tyler will go to Europe and earn a nice high 6-figure salary for a few years before hitting the NBA.

Agree, but only if they have to go to college first. I don't want any loopholes like the option to go overseas.
Again, nice idea in principle, but it would need more teeth from the NCAA than what's currently in place. Guys like John Wall only have to pass 6 credits in the fall and are not required to take any courses in the spring semester. Student-athlete?? Ha!!

Just as long as the european players have to do the same!;):up

While I would like to see these kids stay longer in college, I don't really like someone else making that decision for them. We all have the right to screw up our own lives, not have someone else make that decision for us.

I agree pushing the age back will result in some of the best players going overseas for two year of paychecks before they are drafted into the NBA. There is no way on earth either the NBA or the NCAA can prevent that from happening.

Sandra

I agree pushing the age back will result in some of the best players going overseas for two year of paychecks before they are drafted into the NBA. There is no way on earth either the NBA or the NCAA can prevent that from happening.

Sandra

So you guys are thinking that the majority of top players in HS would opt out to go to Europe for two years vs getting a free ride in a college program ?

I agree with Kareem on this one, though I got to say college coaching is awful now, it is loaded with shysters like John Calipari, so I don't see much more readiness of guys entering the NBA. I actually think guys like Brandon Jennings going to europe was a good thing. He had to really grow up there, it made him more of a man to go through the hard knocks.

I don't recall any MAJOR US high school players going to Europe.....when did this happen?
Former Arizona recruit Brandon Jennings on Wednesday signed with an Italian professional league team, completing his plan to pass up college and play professionally in Europe to prepare himself for the 2009 NBA draft.

Jennings signed with Pallacanestro Virtus Roma of the Italian pro league.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3491998"]Jennings goes pro, signs with Pallacanestro Virtus Roma - Men's College Basketball - ESPN[/ame]

He took the detour heard around the world, and he's been hearing since from a growing global chorus that he's on the wrong track. But despite three turbulent months in Israel, Jeremy Tyler says he's undeterred in his quest for the promised land of the first round of the 2011 NBA draft.

Tyler withdrew an oral commitment he had made to attend Louisville next year. Instead of eventually playing for Rick Pitino, he is coached by Avi Ashkenazi, who led Maccabi Haifa to the Israeli league's championship game last year.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=4648711"]Jeremy Tyler still determined to chase his dream to the NBA - ESPN[/ame]

Wow! You know, in some ways.....I would do it too. As long as it was not some country having political issues with some kind of war going on. A chance to see the world. How cool is THAT? And in ALOT of those European leagues, they provide an apt., a car and butlers/maids.
And very good money, not NBA money, but not too shabby!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts