About last night...

tillerr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
I finally canceled my Dish Network service after almost 10 years. This post isn't about why I canceled or how bad Dish is (they aren't THAT bad :)), it's to thank SatelliteGuys and the forum members. I've had a number of questions answered and received valuable information over the years. While I'll still continue to be a member of the forums I don't know that I'll have as much reason to visit now that I'm working off OTA and streaming through my media extender for my TV and movies.

Thanks again,

You guys are the best!

One week down...

So far so good. Between torrents, Xbox 360, Netflix streaming and all the locals coming in OTA, TV life has been good.

This is my second go round with Netflix and I have to say I didn't give it the chance I should have the first time. I canceled after two months because there wasn't enough streaming content. But in just the past week I've watched a few great movies that I hadn't seen in a long time and my son hit the Veggietales jackpot.

The best part is I still have DVR for anything I watch because of the media extender ability of the 360.

What will make this deal better is ESPN on Xbox Live...who knows when it will show up though.

Netflix sucks ass big time. they're streaming content is worse than subpar and is a joke. their dvds come scratched up...sorry had to vent. anyways good luck with future endeavors.

I'm intrested in how this is working out. I'm stongly considering (even enough to have already bought a Tivo) droping Dish and going Netflix and OTA only. I've had the Tivo Connected to the OTA for just 4 days and have plenty to watch. havent signed up for NetFlix yet tho.

The fees for four units will be high but still cheaper than Dish and I'll finally have a true Multi room HD-DVR System.

I'm intrested in how this is working out. I'm stongly considering (even enough to have already bought a Tivo) droping Dish and going Netflix and OTA only. I've had the Tivo Connected to the OTA for just 4 days and have plenty to watch. havent signed up for NetFlix yet tho.

The fees for four units will be high but still cheaper than Dish and I'll finally have a true Multi room HD-DVR System.

I can't speak for the Tivo part as I don't have it but aren't there fees involved each month? I prefer the WMC extender route that is fee free. But that's just me. I'm sure my features are limited compared to a Tivo setup.

My only fee now is for Netflix which is $9.53 after tax. I don't care that I only get one DVD at a time as I signed up mainly to take advantage of the streaming. My wife was against us dropping Dish because of Food Network and TLC but now she's started watching 30 Rock on Netflix which she's never seen before and is happy.

I'm not sure if Netflix streaming is for everyone, recall what I said about my first time with it earlier this year, but it works for us now.

I'm only one week in but at this point I wouldn't change a thing. We have movies and TV all on demand, for the most part.

We've considered dropping Dish, but honestly Dish is convenient, especially with a 3 year old. It's nice having everything in one place, and though it may be a steep monthly cost for the convenience, I like not having to switch between multiple devices, DVD swapping, following torrents (which may not be legal anyway), etc, etc. We do have Netflix and watch stuff on it often, and when Hulu Plus comes around we might subscribe to it as well. Also I'm SO anxious to check out Apple's new AppleTV (or whatever they're calling it) because supposedly they're working with Dish to integrate the systems.

Sam

Netflix sucks ass big time. they're streaming content is worse than subpar and is a joke. their dvds come scratched up...sorry had to vent. anyways good luck with future endeavors.

In years and years of having a Netflix subscription, I could count on both hands the number of scratched or broken disks I've received. I don't think I've had a single one in the past 4 years.

We've considered dropping Dish, but honestly Dish is convenient, especially with a 3 year old. It's nice having everything in one place, and though it may be a steep monthly cost for the convenience, I like not having to switch between multiple devices, DVD swapping, following torrents (which may not be legal anyway), etc, etc. We do have Netflix and watch stuff on it often, and when Hulu Plus comes around we might subscribe to it as well. Also I'm SO anxious to check out Apple's new AppleTV (or whatever they're calling it) because supposedly they're working with Dish to integrate the systems.

Sam

Sam, I hear you about the mutiple device issue. That's one problem that I was able to solve for me though. I use the Xbox DVD player, the Media Center on the Xbox for watching local TV and also any programs that were recoreded with the DVR and I use the Xbox Netflix channel to watch our instant streaming. So the most I have to do is use the Xbox multimedia remote to navigate to what I want to watch.

I've actually been staying away from the torrents, with the exception of park videos from Walt Disney World (I'm a freak), as I'm not sure how legal they are either. The only instance I could see myself using them in the future is to grab the previous night's episode of one of my OTA shows if by chance by DVR messes up.

In years and years of having a Netflix subscription, I could count on both hands the number of scratched or broken disks I've received. I don't think I've had a single one in the past 4 years.

Two in 5+ years netflix service has been excellent for me.and there streaming works well .

I've had 4 broken, and only one that was scratched beyond playability (Transylvania 6-5000). Right now, only two things keep me on Dish. Absolute, and Brazilian channels for my wife.

The reasons I went with tivo were: Connectibility between each box (one for each room), The ability to stream straight from Netflix to the tivo box, and the availability to record two OTA shows at the same time. (This was the closest i could come to the 622/722 with having to pay dish for the Programing and FEES).

If I loose Absolute then I'm going to buy some more tivo's and ship my 622 and 722 back to Dish!

Well I have been a long time Dish customer who gets the 250 channel programming. We watch at most 10 channels besides the sports. For movies we normally go out or use blockbusters. This month we signed up for Netflix. We use OTA. If it wasn't for sports, we will probably say bye-bye. I believe that is the reason there will be no ala-carte

I agree, their service is prompt and as you mentioned I VERY rarely get a damaged disc. For a few bucks more their Blu Ray section is outstanding.

The streaming is very good, with new titles added every week. For the money you can't bet Netflix.

I also have netflix, and love it. I've had it for over a year now, and haven't got a bad disc yet. I stream through the xbox, and that works well also. Some things are in HD, so quality hasn't been an issue.

Agreed, at least on the Roku box and my LG Blu Ray player, Netflix streaming looks excellent. You wouldn't know its streamed off the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts