About that Olympics commercial - even Sony is bummed!

wnpublic

May 27, 2004
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17351-2004Aug19.html

"We supplied all of the high-def equipment NBC is using for the games," Stringer said. "Then it turned out that NBC was unable to sell any ads on their HDTV channel. So somebody thought it would be a nice way of saying 'thank you' to Sony to drop in Sony commercials during some of the breaks. Unfortunately they didn't notify us and ended up using just that one spot. Our guys didn't know about it, but of course we're very embarrassed."
Rick Clancy, senior vice president of Sony Electronics Inc., said from San Diego, where that branch of the company is headquartered, that Sony is red-faced about the pesky error and that "we had no idea" one single Sony spot would air over and over again. "NBC actually extended us a courtesy," Clancy said. "We just didn't know that meant the same spot would be the only one on the air and be constantly repeated. We had no idea we'd be the only company with a commercial on their HDTV channel."

The reason for the multiple exposures is not some sadistic new advertising ploy at Sony. It's the result of a snafu that Sony executives say is not their fault. (NBC spokesmen could not be reached in time for deadline because, a spokesman for the spokesmen said, they were busy working on "ratings stories.")

Is there anything that these people at NBC care about - ratings. What a joke! I thought Fox was idiotic for doing 480p but NBC has to be the number one IDIOT of doing HDTV. What a bunch of losers... Ratings...

When you hear about ratings, these people do not tell you the whole story. Anybody can lie with statistics. It all depends what are the assumptions made in these ratings. This is why I don't believe in them until I see all the analysis and the assumptions made. Ratings = LIES (period).

There was a new Sony commercial last night, something about music, I just saw it in the background as I was burning some DVD's, anyone else catch it? OR was I on acid or something?

Sean Mota said:
The reason for the multiple exposures is not some sadistic new advertising ploy at Sony. It's the result of a snafu that Sony executives say is not their fault. (NBC spokesmen could not be reached in time for deadline because, a spokesman for the spokesmen said, they were busy working on "ratings stories.")

Is there anything that these people at NBC care about - ratings. What a joke! I thought Fox was idiotic for doing 480p but NBC has to be the number one IDIOT of doing HDTV. What a bunch of losers... Ratings...

When you hear about ratings, these people do not tell you the whole story. Anybody can lie with statistics. It all depends what are the assumptions made in these ratings. This is why I don't believe in them until I see all the analysis and the assumptions made. Ratings = LIES (period).
I think we are in agreement on the NBC = idiots thing. But ya know what? When NBC multicasts, their HD doesnt look much different than FOX widescreen upconverted to 720p the way my FOX station does now. SO I cant support ya on the FOX slam. LMAO. At least Fox is moving forward, not backwards. YET that is.

Yeah Sony whipped together another commercial when they found out how bad they're one spot had been torn apart. I find it odd they didn't know but either way I feel bad for Sony, poor guys.

"Predictions were that the HD-Olympics would be a big boost for the popularity of HDTV... But that inescapable commercial may have annoyed some HDTV owners so much that they're considering returning the sets and going back to plain old low-definition television."

Thank you very much NBC! :rolleyes:

why did they think they'd get advertisers for showing yesterday's olympics anyway. Wouldn't you think there'd have been a lot more interest in HD olympics that were actually live?

NBC sucks. They could have avoided all the mess by simply multicast the same content in the SD and HD channels (including commercials). That was what ABC did for the NBA finals and it worked just fine.

Walter L. said:
NBC sucks. They could have avoided all the mess by simply multicast the same content in the SD and HD channels (including commercials). That was what ABC did for the NBA finals and it worked just fine.

What he said.

Showing events more than 24 hours after they happen is just stupid. Either do it right, or don't do it at all. NBC's half-assed HD production should be viewed as an embarrassment to the company that is probably raking in untold millions of dollars in ad revenue from their regular coverage.

The Last Olympics Were The Same (24 Hour Delay)
I Hate It Is On A Loop. You Watch It Once & Then 8 Hours Later You See It Again.

Hey, what ever happened to that Sony Wega, Chip & Salsa commercial? That was my favorite commercial of all time...I wish they would show it every 5 minutes. What's wrong with you NBC...I wanted to see how that Schlep was going to feed the masses with that single bag of chips and jar of salsa. :D

nbc should of done like cbs does when they have fillers they show once every 30mins since they have no shows to promo in hdtv format they have the ITS ALL HERE thing hyping hdtv maybe nbc should of had one of those fillers and showing it OVER AND OVER again maybe make you inclined to get everyone to watch hdtv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts