This Is Us

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
"This is Us" had a pretty good pilot if you are into character-driven drama heavy with dialog and very light on action. I am certain this series will quickly devolve into a soap opera, but I thought the Pilot stood alone pretty well.
The story opens with seemingly disjointed stories introducing us to a pregnant wife and her husband, a struggling actor, a despondent over-eater, and another couple with a couple of daughters. Each is battling his or her own demons.
At about 30 minutes into the show I started hitting the skip forward button because the story was delving into the predicable and really uncomfortable, but only a few skips later I saw something that caught my eye and jumped back to see the whole thing.
The then came the reveal. Unlike many shows of this type I never saw it coming until the writer hit me over the head. It showed how these stories were related to each other and made the moments of confusion at the beginning of the show worth while.
I know this will devolve into the 2010's version of "Thirtysomething" but I at least enjoyed the pilot.

Loved the show and now I see how everyone on the show is connected. The writers were great. This was as good as a movie ,but compressed into one hour. Loved all the characters . I only hope that the show continues to be this good and doesn't devolve into a bad soap opera.

Reactions: TNGTony
So far I like it ,but I am now getting the soap opera feeling to it, that I hoped to avoid. But all shows are like soap operas these days , with a little action and violence and sex thrown in to distract you.

Finally binged this over Winter Break and the last week's episode of filling out the Big Day was well done. I feel like we were given this huge triptych in the Pilot and each week we are treated to examining certain sections in finer detail.

Reactions: TNGTony
I've been enjoying this show week in and week out. I love how the show eventually ties past and present together to show character motivations. This latest episode fell far short of the high standard set and forced the motivation a little too much, but I still look forward to next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)