? about the Channel Master dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
Whenever someone picks up a Channel Master dish the comments are very favorable. I know I like mine that I received from Pixl this last Labor Day. Now with a more normal or standard feed and LNB on it, I receive the highest Q of any of my dishes from PBS on 125.
The question here would be where were these dishes used most and where would be the best place to locate one or a big pile:) of them?
RT

Up here in the Rockies there are no natural enemies to satellite dishes. No Tornadoes, Hurricanes, or Rust. And I can access a pile of em ;)

Once you have a quality dish, it comes down to line of sight (LOS). Here in the Sierra foothills I find my elevation to hit all the satellites is around 44 degrees. That means placing it where ever I want on my property. My neighbors roll their eyes at the number of dishes I have, but the dishes are slowly being reduced as I fine tune the bigger ones. My goal is to cancel my minimum subscription to dishnt.

Whenever someone picks up a Channel Master dish the comments are very favorable.

the wide portion of the dish helps reject adjacent satellite interference...thats why they're good
I had 3 of them and they were great. I ended up giving them away to other FTA folks before I moved :)

primestar, starchoice both in its hayday used a lot of them post an add on craigslist and hunt them down

an example of finding a "satellite dish" with search in the michigan area provided this

the above listing was just an example
good luck

Up here in the Rockies there are no natural enemies to satellite dishes. No Tornadoes, Hurricanes, or Rust. And I can access a pile of em ;)
Well, then put 5 of them in a box and send then to me, post paid by all means.......:D

the wide portion of the dish helps reject adjacent satellite interference...thats why they're good
I had 3 of them and they were great. I ended up giving them away to other FTA folks before I moved :)
Ok, that makes sense.

Primestar HAD many around here. Also DTN, but most have cancelled their sub, and the only 'part' that was required to be returned was the receiver. My 30 inch and the 1.0 meter are all ex-DTN. The 83e and 1.2's are ex-Primestar.
Where to locate: abandoned commercial installations. Closed gas stations. Closed restaurants may have one that was used for credit cards or Muzak?? Farms that had the DTN 'farm' service(Weather, Markets, Farm News) before they found it on the internet.
I know of only two active DTN 'farm' installs still in use near me. And both employ a 1.0m.
Maybe a picture ad in the local 'farm sheets'??

local grocery stores thats where I found mine at they were gutting for a hobby lobby 2 dishes in fact 30'' and 1.2 meter.

dan Rose

Most Primestar dish installs in Michigan were by far the elliptical dishes. There were some 1 meters here and there, and maybe 1- 1.2m for every hundred of the ellipticals. There's two basic ways to track them down: Drive around with tools (to remove them after knocking on the door and asking if you can have them) OR advertising. When I did advertisments, I learned quickly to have several pictures in the ad so they knew exactly what I wanted. That was over 10 years ago now, and the dishes are getting rarer as we speak. I did get quite a few dishes, gave some away, and I still have a core bunch stashed for future use. I never got my hands on a 1.2m one though. I only ever found a few of those, and never could talk those people out of them.

I do still look around for the heck of it, and there are lots of hunting and weekend cabin's out there that still have these on poles. So they are out there...

Driving around my area within, say 25 miles, there are several dishes I have seen. Three of them are prime focus, solid, look like fiber-G or something. But most of them look real bad. A few small primes, maybe 6 footers, mesh. Some OK looking at a distance, some with missing panels. The two I would really like are at two Ed Jones places. One is still not sure and the other that said OK, the building landlord will not let anyone on his roof unless a licensed and insured roofer is there. "Renting" a roofer would be expensive. There is one dead gas station not far but the oil company owner said they would wait and see if building will ever be used again. Very small building. Setting dead for many years. But both of those dishes are the elliptical type, not big round ones. The small ones are not a problem but the "C" band ones(BUDS)one needs a lift crane. Just have not decided on building one yet. Oh, well, Perry Mason is almost over so it is time to fall into bed.....:sleeo.

I have two 1 meter CMs. The first one I purchased from a local broadcast uplinker, and the second.one was an ex-Primestar that was thrown from the roof of a strip mall by roofers. Fortunately, it survived the fall and is now in use on 103W. The first one was on 123W for Equity until they folded, and is now on 125W for PBS.

Most CMs I've seen recently are on gas stations or other businesses for VSAT.

When GM abandoned the Saturn line, there was a great many dishes at the now defunct dealerships. I got my 1.2m Andrew from one such dealership. The other 1.2m Andrew I have came from a Kia dealership that didn't need it anymore. Both came from the same ownership group. That last one I had to lower down the side of the building, so bring rope!

When GM abandoned the Saturn line, there was a great many dishes at the now defunct dealerships. I got my 1.2m Andrew from one such dealership. The other 1.2m Andrew I have came from a Kia dealership that didn't need it anymore. Both came from the same ownership group. That last one I had to lower down the side of the building, so bring rope!
Single line dealer would have been a great place to get a dead dish from a dead dealer. Around here they were mixed in with others that did not die, so they are still open.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)