About to switch to D* from E*, but have some doubts. Convince me!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have an HR22-100 as well.
And will fully admit it is slower than my old 622 and there is some getting used to (like switching from windows to a mac).
But I stand by my statement.
The hardware may be better on DISH (speed of processor) but the software is SOOO much better on Directv.
Wow D* even admits how slow there HR21/22/23 are. :eek:

"Months" was a true statement. It was with an old Intel 430x chipset [I think that's correct] and the "bug" if you loaded more than 64 megs of memory. They would go to "never neverland", and took a long time to come back.
[As to the boxes]
Each model is designed by the manufacturer. The "how they do that", is up to them, so they don't all share a "standard architecture". Similar yes, but not exactly the same.
It's clear that the HR20 has a better processor than the newer boxes. "Most" changes in the newer boxes have been to lower costs.
In a Chat with DirecTV, "they" know about the slower speed of the HR21/22/23 and are hoping to improve this in future releases.

I have both as we are baseball fans. I find DISH so much better that I keep it for 12 months and only subscribe to DirecTV for 6 months out of the year. The *E receivers (I have a 622 and a 722K) are faster, more user friendly and allow me to record more things at once than does the *D receiver. My 722K has plenty of recording room and I have the option of adding on an external hard drive on both units. I hate that you can't reverse the channel order on the guide on the HR21, hate the way they have all the PPV channels piled up at the beginning of the list and find the PVR menus unfriendly. I do find that *D's website is superior in that you can pull up the guide on your computer and set recordings from there. MY PQ on *E HD is a bit better as well.

Believe me, I'd love to lose that *E bill and just keep *D the whole year round as it would save me a lot of money but I'm not willing to sacrifice/compromise the things I mentioned above.

NotForMe, if you are not into sports, just stay put with Dish. I like MY TOYS. I was really on the bubble like you. One D* guy suggested I go to best but and try out the equipment. They did not have it so I could. But the cheapy looks of it alone made my decision. No regrets.

I do find that *D's website is superior in that you can pull up the guide on your computer and set recordings from there. MY PQ on *E HD is a bit better as well.

Believe me, I'd love to lose that *E bill and just keep *D the whole year round as it would save me a lot of money but I'm not willing to sacrifice/compromise the things I mentioned above.
Have you tried Dish SlingGuide cause I do set recordings from the internet.

NotForMe, if you are not into sports, just stay put with Dish. I like MY TOYS. I was really on the bubble like you. One D* guy suggested I go to best but and try out the equipment. They did not have it so I could. But the cheapy looks of it alone made my decision. No regrets.
I've tried them at friends and Costco. I find them to be a joke. In-fact at one friends I'm not allowed to have the remote cause of how much I tear up D*. He doesn't like to be reminded of he's mistakes, he words not mine. :eek: He also says the only reason he stays is football.

Then stay with the dysfunctional world of Dish. I like it!!

agreed. if you're not into sports and you're happy with E's programming, stay put.

by the way KAB, how was your visit to BEST BUT?? :D

agreed. if you're not into sports and you're happy with E's programming, stay put.

by the way KAB, how was your visit to BEST BUT?? :D

Ok, Mr spell Checker!!!:D But you do take in it if you are not on top of things.

Ok, Mr spell Checker!!!:D But you do take in it if you are not on top of things.

the one thing you probably noticed is how light the HR series is compared to the VIP series for dish. i really haven't tried to figure out why but the difference in weight is huge!!

the one thing you probably noticed is how light the HR series is compared to the VIP series for dish. i really haven't tried to figure out why but the difference in weight is huge!!
Exactly. Right or wrong, that contributed to my "flimsy" verdict. No to mention the glossy front panel you can never keep clean.

for those who care here's a pic inside of the vip 622

attachment.php

here's one of the HR series

H23-600_inside.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to address robx's concerns about the receivers. I currently have d*, but have had E* in the past. I have the HR20/70 receiver and its not that bad. I have not had any problems with it(knock on wood), while I will admit that there are some things that the vip622 is better at, the hr20 still is not that bad. D* has not done a very good job of letting us know what hd channels are coming up in the future. I also would like to see the Travel Channel in HD. That is really the only one that E* that D* doesnt have that interests me. If you make the switch I am sure that you will enjoy it.

All I know is, I was happy with my 622 when I was with E*. I am very happy now with my hr22-100's. Now I may be smarter and more adaptable to the new hardware and software than others, dunno. But at the end of the day it all comes down to programming as none of us want to spend more time in the menus than watching the content.
Hopefully anyone that likes D*'s content and wants to take advantage of the $40 a month savings won't be afraid to make the move as D* has many, many more satisfied customers than E* and more than a few like myself have made the move from E* and have no regrets.

I wanted to address robx's concerns about the receivers. I currently have d*, but have had E* in the past. I have the HR20/70 receiver and its not that bad. I have not had any problems with it(knock on wood), while I will admit that there are some things that the vip622 is better at, the hr20 still is not that bad. D* has not done a very good job of letting us know what hd channels are coming up in the future. I also would like to see the Travel Channel in HD. That is really the only one that E* that D* doesnt have that interests me. If you make the switch I am sure that you will enjoy it.

All I know is, I was happy with my 622 when I was with E*. I am very happy now with my hr22-100's. Now I may be smarter and more adaptable to the new hardware and software than others, dunno. But at the end of the day it all comes down to programming as none of us want to spend more time in the menus than watching the content.
Hopefully anyone that likes D*'s content and wants to take advantage of the $40 a month savings won't be afraid to make the move as D* has many, many more satisfied customers than E* and more than a few like myself have made the move from E* and have no regrets.

i agree with you guys. the vip series for dish is great but i'm happy with my HR21-100. still have to give major props to the vip series ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts