? about upgrading from SD DirecTIVO to HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkatts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
OK, I got a new Samsung plasma HDTV for Christmas. I currently have SD Directv Tivo. I am wanting to upgrade to the HD DVR. My question is, Does the current HD DVR have an OTA input and can that input be recorded? I don't need an externally mounted ant. I have a 6ft coax cable and a $10 indoor ant right now and I get all of my locals over the air with a minimum signal strength of 90. I am only 6 miles from all transmitters. Is there any advantage to waiting to get the HD DVR that does mpeg4? I am in Columbus, OH and the speculation is that we are getting HD LIL in May. But I really don't want to wait till then. I want to be able to see Soprano's in HD. :D

If I get the curren;ty offered DVR that cannot handle mpeg4, how long will they continue to support the mpeg2 stream. I'd hate to shell out $400 for it only to have to replace it in a year.

Also, I had read another post here, though I can't find it now, where someone was upgraded to the current HD DVR, but the installer said they had to take the guys SD TIVO back. Is there any possible senario where that can happen? I bought my SD DirecTivo last year for $100 from Directv. So the Tivo is mine. I think! :D

Yes. OTA works fantastically.

Waiting? New National HD channels will likely be in MPEG4.
Re: MPEG2 nationals Indefinitely (That is to say, we expect the MPEG2 Nationals to stay that while for a long period of time, but have no precise date. DirecTV has been very tight lipped.)

You own the SD TiVo. It's yours.

H

I love in columbus and have rabbit ears out in the backyard and I live 11.3 miles from wbns (10) and i get 92. The cable length to the tivo is about 50 ft. so I would go ahead and hed the HD TiVo. Very nice I must admit!!!

So I am going to go ahead and upgrade to the HD DVR. But I think I am going to wait to see how the lease deal comes out.

Thanks all for the info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts