AbsoluteHD BOMB!!! (Not True... uninformed CSR)

Dah-Henny

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Boone, North Carolina
OK...If this is true, it blows.

What say you, sat guys?

FROM DBSTALK:
I talked to a individual in Denver yesterday who works for Dish Network Corporation in Denver.
He is in the Executive Communications Dept.
He told me that dish absolute customers would not see anymore new HD channels.
He said that the dish absolute customer could remain at this current status but the hope is "when" new HD channels are added, they will come to turbo HD in Feb. 2009.
I was offered the ability to go to Turbo "now".
I currently see no advantage to this over Dish Absolute except the RSNs in the turbo silver and above and a higher price tag.
I was offered a new 722 to replace my 622 without a 24 month commitment or any cost to me.
This I accepted.:D The 722 is on its way! I really did not need it because my 622 suits my family fine but this is a new 722 with new Remotes. The new Remotes I need as my 622 remotes are sticking and just "worn out".
He told me to call him back or email him if I wanted to go Turbo.
Very nice informed worker with some stroke and 100% American!
Much more was discussed concerning upcoming new HD Channels and possible software upgrades but he asked me not to "blog" this part of our conversation and I will respect this.
They do monitor this site and others. :)
Be careful; you never know who you might be "blogging" with on any "site".

Last edited:
Sounds like the email we all get every day. You know..."My brother is a lawyer and he says it's true..." "My friend tried it and he said it works, so..."
Unless it comes from one of the people you actually see on tv (Charlie Chats, Retailer Chats, Tech Chats, Team Summit, etc) then take what is said with a grain of salt concerning programming.

Absolute was promised all new HD until the end of the year. If Dish want's to do that, simplest way to do that is not launch any new HD for the rest of the year (exception possibly Golf/Versus split).

I spoke with Gregory Wall (ceo@dishnetwork).If anyone is telling you anything about upcoming changes at Dishnetwork they are misinforming Customers,because at this point nothing has been discussed and made official at this time concerning HD.
Anything being said is just interpretation by uninformed CSRs.Dishnetwork will release information as soon as its official.

Absolute was promised all new HD until the end of the year. If Dish want's to do that, simplest way to do that is not launch any new HD for the rest of the year (exception possibly Golf/Versus split).

Exactly, this package was discontinued and everyone on it was grandfathered in. It makes perfect sense that once the year is up Absolute package subscribers will not get any additional channels but will get to keep the current price. (Just like the old HD package that some people had that only had a few HD channels but none of the more recent ones.)

I don't think it makes sense to expect Dish to provide more than what they promised. At the same time, if there is more HD before the end of the year, the people on the Absolute package should see it since that is what Dish agreed to.

Dish changes its mind all the time with packages and prices.

I dont believe the hype but at the same time I have been saying for a while that Dish wont add new HD till the price increase in Jan/Feb to justify the increase to its HD customers. I guess SD customers are out of luck for a justification.

I've been saying this everytime there's a new thread about new HD channels.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1572880-post14.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1556001-post23.html

I couldn't agree with you and the O.P. more. It just doesn't seem logical to be giving HD absolute customers anymore channels, and it looks like dish is going to let all the other HD customers suffer because of that. I just think it would be a bad move on dishs' part to give HD absolute more new channels then in Febuary take away 15 to 20 channels while raising prices too.

As it stands right now, come Febuary, if I want to keep roughly the same price I will have to go with Turbo Silver ($3 more then HD absolute) which is a loss of 13 channels compared to HD Absolute.

I see them adding the Viacom HD package and maybe some other HD channels in Febuary so the loss of channels to HD Absolute subs wont be 13 channels but maybe 5 or so.

I hope I am wrong, but on the bright side I think it is safe to say new HD will be available come Valentine's Day. :p

where is the agreement that dish made to add channels to the absolute pack if more channels are added before the year is up?

Charlie specifically said it on a Charlie Chat earlier this year, maybe March or April. Nothing written of course, but he was certainly pretty clear about it verbally. He specifically said, while promoting the HD Only pack, that any new HD channels released would be added to the HD only pack for the remainder of the year.

New HD will be here before that... ;)

Again this rumor is not true at all. I have been contacted by friends at Dish who also say this is not true.

So are you putting it out there: we will have new HD before the end of the year?

I hope it is more than just Golf and Versus getting there own channels.

I am told more HD by the end of the year.

No idea if its anything more then Versus / Golf or what, I again am just told more HD by the end of the year.

I am keeping my ear to the ground. :)

New HD will be here before that... ;)

Again this rumor is not true at all. I have been contacted by friends at Dish who also say this is not true.

Scott do you have any idea what the plan is for HD Absolute subs come Feb?

If the switch happened today and I wanted to keep all my current channels that's a HUGE $20 dollar a month increase just for keeping the same lineup.
If I wanted to pay the same monthly price I would loose 13 channels, which is a lot since the HD packages do not have many channels in them to begin with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)