Absolutely can't get WVGN off AMC 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't want to whine, but I was considered mentioning again that I absolutely can't get WVGN off AMC 4. As an experiment, I started by peaking the KUIL signal, used the numbers from LyngSat with a manual scan, then moved the dish around searching for a blip. Zilch. After re-peaking KUIL, I entered the numbers (with PIDs) manually in a dummy channel. Zilch.

Considering that I can pick up every other channel on the bird, I really wonder why I just can't get this one. WVGN's signal's weaker than the others? Transponder footprint problem? Bizarre, tiny flaw in the receiver? Odd flaw in the LNBF, or a dent in the dish? I just don't know.

Carload, I believe I am having the same problem. I am on the bird right now, I did a scan on my new PANSANT 2500A that I received from a fellow forum member for free!!
(THANKS Mark AR).

I manually set the frequency and SR and get NO quality (0%) ! This is on TP14. Anybody have the same problem??

Its fine in here in the Twin Cities area (using a Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra), Signal Quality 50% but solid as a rock even in the torrential rain right now : (

Scanned in at........

11989MHz
(H)
2.000Msps

Thanks Mark, for at least helping me believe I am not alone in my insanity. ;)

I still think it's a footprint issue. I'm in Denver. Where are you?

Since my last post I went on top of the roof and tried to do some fine tuning. Believe it or not Carload I now get a very WEAK signal on WVGN. My quality is very low. Only 10-14%. But, since it is getting late and the nosy neighbours are watching me from their Kitchen window. I will continue it tomorrow (If it doesn't rain)

I live in Toronto. I don't believe it is a footprint issue because PSB can get 50% in Minnesota. You guys roughly have the same beam strength.

For good or bad, my Satwork won't report any signal quality below ~32%. It wouldn't surprise me to discover that I'm getting a consistent number below that, for all the good that'll do.

You guys done celebrating the Argos yet?

Yeah, the mayor made a big deal about it at the parade which ended at city hall. Although it's not the same reaction like when the Blue Jays won the World Series in '92, '93. Just the same I am glad they won and a pretty good margin too.

What's the problem boys? The old Satworks is picking it up at FR 11990, SR2000, VPID 4194, APID 4195, PCR 4194 with signal quality of 54% here in the "Boilermaker State."

Are you on the right polarity? WVGN is on horizontal and KUIL is on vertical.

Been coming in loud and clear here in So Cal. 98 on the bottom bar of a DMT 1000 with a .7 PrimeStar dish.

Congrats Mark.

I won't bring it up again, but I'm still at zero. Manual entry of your numbers and manual (or blind) searches both turn up nothing for me.

Really it's not that big a deal. NBC would be cool, but it's not like it carries NFL games or anything important like that. :)

I return to my initial question:
* Given that I can see every other channel on IA4 (KUIL at 39% quality, for example)
* Given that I cannot see WVGN at all, ever
* Given that it's not operator error (work with me here)
THEN, what explanation could match these symptoms?

Carload, I had the same problem. But, I found 39% for KUIL is low. I have to get at least 60% on TP1 to get at least 29% on TP14. If that is what you're getting. I tweeked and tweeked to get a stronger signal. I even rotated the LNB to try to improve quality.

But Carload use TP 1 quality as an indicator for TP14 because your ird will not give quality below 32%. Try to achieve at least 60% on TP1

1) So is it established that WVGN's transponder is weaker than the others?

2) For the future, what's the best way to improve my quality? Is the Fortec/Pansat more sensitive than my Satwork? Would a larger dish (bigger than my beloved Wynegard) provide significant improvement? Are there special LNBFs available to improve faint signals? Whaddaya think?

Southern California in Laguna Niguel. Dish is a .7 PrimeStar dish with a Primestar LNB stationed on AMC 4 for just KUIL and WVGN.

Looking at the footprint for AMC 4 I should be getting the same as you, even better. I am in a zone that has the max - 51 dBW. Even Carload should be getting roughly the same with a 30" dish. His should be around 49 - 50 dBW in Denver.

Carload:

"1) So is it established that WVGN's transponder is weaker than the others?"

Yes WVGN's signal is weakers than the others. But, We should be getting close to what is mike getting. Maybe with the primestar dish the focus point is better. I have a Fortec Star dish.

"2) For the future, what's the best way to improve my quality? Is the Fortec/Pansat more sensitive than my Satwork? Would a larger dish (bigger than my beloved Wynegard) provide significant improvement? Are there special LNBFs available to improve faint signals? Whaddaya think?"

I would believe bigger is always better ;-) But, it shouldn't mean that you can't get a signal at all. When you said that you are getting 39% quality and that was what I was getting for KUIL and I could get nothing for WVGN. I know that I had work on getting a better signal by fooling around more. I can only speak on behalf of a Pansat and the blind search did not pick it up. I manually had to input the frequency and scan the TP.

BTW How long is your cable? Any jointers? How is the dish? plumb mast?

carload
your KUIL is way low. Even on cloudy days, I can get 80-85 for KUIL. Clear days she maxes out on 99...this is a 30" motorized with a dual LNBF.

WVGN is around 60 for me :)

I have set dishes on AMC 9, G11, T6, AMC 4, AMC 1, G10 and soon SBS 6 or H1 since I guess IA7 is gone now. .7 and .84 dishes. T6 moves to G3 easily. All qualities on all dishes in the 95-98 range. Cable lengths are 50 feet on all dishes except G10 is 100. Poles from Home Depot are buried 18-24 inches deep. Height on dishes above ground ranges from 3 to 6 feet. All polarities on splitters for analog and digital reception that go to A/B/C switches to rotate the different scenarios possible from the different dishes. AMC 4 and AMC 1 dishes used just for digital right now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)