Ac-3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phoenix94

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2006
Hey guys, I'm trying to get the AC-3 out of my system. I've got a Pansat 2500A and a Sony STR-DE475 receiver. I can see where I've got to plug a line into the S/PDIF on the Pansat. There's something called a Digital Optical TV/SAT plug in on the receiver, is that where the other end of this line goes? Is that the only connection needed? If so what kind of cord do I need? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

It's called an optical (or digital optical) cord. You can pick one up at any electronics retailer. Just tell 'em what you're doing with it and they'll point you in the right direction. Don't get sucked in by expensive fancy cables made by name brand companies, just buy a basic cable the length you need. And enjoy!!! :)

the Pansat 2500 uses a rca type output for ac-3

Yes, it is, but the receivers Digital Optical plug-in is different, looks smaller, you still think the 'optical cord' Inno talked about is going to do it or is this going to be some kind of hybrid-you'll-have-to-jerryrig-it-yourself deal? I really appreciate the help guys!

I don't usually visit this section, but I saw this thread in the recent posts list and thought I could help.
I found a short product description for your reciever, and it says it has both optical and coaxial (or RCA) digital inputs. Sounds like you found the optical one. There should be another input that looks just like the plug on your Pansat unit. It's probably next to the optical one and has a similar label. I think that's the one you want to use. You'll probably need to tell the receiver to use that input, but you'll need the manual to figure that out.
Good luck.

Probably correct.......as far as I know you should be able to use a regular RCA cable to connect the digital output from the satellite receiver to the stereo receiver. I assumed that being as how my 3500SD Pansat had an optical output that your 2500 would too.

The 2500 only uses a rca type output (not the toslink) so a regular RCA audio cable will work just fine. That is how I have one of my boxes hooked up to the audio receiver

I don't usually visit this section, but I saw this thread in the recent posts list and thought I could help.
I found a short product description for your reciever, and it says it has both optical and coaxial (or RCA) digital inputs. Sounds like you found the optical one. There should be another input that looks just like the plug on your Pansat unit. It's probably next to the optical one and has a similar label. I think that's the one you want to use. You'll probably need to tell the receiver to use that input, but you'll need the manual to figure that out.
Good luck.

I'm using the coaxial input for the dvd player. I knew this wasn't going to be easy:confused:

it will be rare that you use both dvd player & Pansat at the same time so a "y" adaptor for the coaxial should work at the Sony receiver . Then you could feed the pansat & the dvd player to the coaxial input of the Sony Receiver

it will be rare that you use both dvd player & Pansat at the same time so a "y" adaptor for the coaxial should work at the Sony receiver . Then you could feed the pansat & the dvd player to the coaxial input of the Sony Receiver

That's probably what I'll wind up doing. Simple, inexpensive, and quick. I like it! BTW, unplugged the dvd yesterday and used the rca plug for the Pansat, sure is nice to have sound from channels that I could only lip read from before. Unfortunately I forgot to change back and the wife thought the sound from the dvd player was broken. She was amazed at my ability to "repair" it this morning:D
Thanks again for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)