access card full

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joshschuler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Hey, my access card is full and I can't order anymore pay-per-views. I have tried reconnecting to a phone line, (even had the phone connected for 2 orders), yet the access card is still full. Can I force the receiver to do a call in so it'll clear the card. I have went through every option, tried a hard reset, and unplugged the receiver for 3 min's, and still the access card is full. Any tips for clearing it out?

Also, what if the phone line the receiver connects to is not the right account phone number? Can I get caller ID block on my phone and have the box/D* not know where it's hooked up at?

P.S. If you are a DirecTV CEO, I am doing nothing illegal.

Why don't you just call and order it over the phone and pay the $1 Surcharge!

It is possible to burn out your card by ordering too many PPV's. Several years ago I had a customer do this because everytime you order a PPV by phone it writes the purchase to the smart card.

He had like 50 PPV purchases on the card, which was too much and caused the receiver to keep resetting!

The issue was this, does he send in the card for warranty and get a replacement for FREE and have to pay for all the PPV purchases ordered Via the remote control. Or does he junk the smart card he has and buy a new one for $50?

It was actually cheaper for him to buy another card!

i've only ordered 4 movies for a total of $16. I called cs and they said to plug it up and it would do it automatically. I left it plugged up about 18 hours and it never did anything.

oh, and I'm too cheap to pay the $1, when I shouldn't have to. Oh, and get this, CS told me there was a $5 fee for CS doing it, but they would waive it if I was hooking up the phone permanently. The rcvr's in an area not easily left plugged into the phone constantly.

Heck if you have a phone line handy just leave it plugged in, it may not call every 24 or 48 hours, just leave it plugged in; it does NO HARM.

AND I am not saying this is your case, but in some issues of late bills and such I have heard they can lower or limit the amounts of outstanding PPV credit on ones account regardless of the space the card may have.

You can add your own phone lines VERY CHEAP too: 100' spool (Model: 278-874) @ RS is $4 and the dual jacks are $1 (Model: 279-437) I mean come on people add the lines, there is no conspiracy about them.

Last edited:
Nope, the bill hasn't been late since service was started over a year ago. What about being hooked up to a different phone number than the one that is on the account? What if the phone number it is hooked up to is in a different state?
p.s. installed E* for 2 years. Still unfamiliar with D* equipment.

Anybody else love that story on channel 6 about the phone screwing? If only action were taken on behalf of all technician's/installer's that have been screwed!

Last edited:
Well if you permanently do that, that is somewhat illegal, and why can't you have a legal billing address & number and the service address and number? If you can't discuss that, just say so and I will drop it. I know the board doesn't care to have illegal stuff discussed.

BUT if you do that only for a limited amount of time while you travel, it should be noted as such on the account and just plug it up for the entire stay back "at home".

EDIT: Well you edited some of your comment and I didn't quote it, so I hope my comments/questions still make sense.

Last edited:
OH, I hope all is going well for you!

As far as leaving it connect for "a length of time" YES, but I can't tell you exactly how long to leave it, because I really don't think there is a set timing.

As far as being the exact number: I can't say 100% that it has to be, because all the modem does is call out; and what if you happen to be on a line that doesn't broadcast CID info? I know my number doesn't and never has. Without issue. BUT maybe a more experienced DirecTV tech can chime in. I have been a 10 year user, but can't give that kind of detail. Sorry.

First of all its illegal to stack an account and take the receiver from your parents house. Installation and equipment is FREE anyways for new customers. At the very least you should call and split the account.

Second, take the receiver and plug it in at your parents house, or swap it with one of theirs.

Well that being cleared up by CG, I would recommend just swapping out your receiver with one of theirs that has remained on the phone line, and plug yours in until the job pans out. Good luck!

am returning receiver and getting service in my own name. don't wanna do anything illegal.
forgot about the policy to join here

Sounds good. Just get setup with one of the frebie proms, and have your parents pay for it until you get the job, then they should take care of it (from what you have said.

From what I've heard, when D*s modems call in, they check the # against the account, it's not a good idea to plug a phone in at another address, even if it is your 2nd home. The D* computers will see a different # and inquire and hope to find you at another number and try to have you pay for a full programming charge (TC $45) instead of the $ 5 mirror chanrge that you probably are already paying.

I alternative to ordering PPV's ect, is to order online.

on another subject, IF you are planning to buy your own phone wire and place a jack yourself, buy SOLID wire, not STRANDED.....

Stranded works great for Electrical, but not for Phone work.

Jimbo

charper1 said:
Heck if you have a phone line handy just leave it plugged in, it may not call every 24 or 48 hours, just leave it plugged in; it does NO HARM.

AND I am not saying this is your case, but in some issues of late bills and such I have heard they can lower or limit the amounts of outstanding PPV credit on ones account regardless of the space the card may have.

You can add your own phone lines VERY CHEAP too: 100' spool (Model: 278-874) @ RS is $4 and the dual jacks are $1 (Model: 279-437) I mean come on people add the lines, there is no conspiracy about them.

if thats the case i want to see you drag ur ass here and do that for all my 2nd floor recievers then. some people have good reasons, like this, why they cant hook it to a phone line

That really is not a very compelling argument; just because its a 2nd or 3rd story requiring a wall or floor fish and you don't want to do it or think its too hard. The facts are I have done plenty 2500+ SF home and offices with multiple stories and I know how easy it can be with the correct tools and methods I use. The fact that you offer me or anyone else to come up and do yours means nothing, because we all know you won't allow me or any other stranger to do so. One can also use wireless transmitters, as the quality ones work VERY WELL but cost money; which some will use as the excuse of why that can't use them.

Can't do and won't do are two totally different things. Everyone makes their own choices for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. The costs are in the labor, which is why I said cheap if you do it yourself. I would have to charge you .35/mi plus $29/hr on top of the hardware.

But in the end if you don't want the phone lines, don't install them, its your house, but also put up with episodes like the original poster is talking about.

Last edited:
you can call D* customer service and they can put in their computer and to request a call back from your d* box then if your box is not making a call back your modem in your box maybe bad. if you have the protection plan they can send you a new box if your box still haven`t made a call back.

charper1 said:
OH, I hope all is going well for you!

As far as leaving it connect for "a length of time" YES, but I can't tell you exactly how long to leave it, because I really don't think there is a set timing.

As far as being the exact number: I can't say 100% that it has to be, because all the modem does is call out; and what if you happen to be on a line that doesn't broadcast CID info? I know my number doesn't and never has. Without issue. BUT maybe a more experienced DirecTV tech can chime in. I have been a 10 year user, but can't give that kind of detail. Sorry.

I had my first D* receiver located in a room w/o a phone outlet. Whenever we ordered PPV I just ran a long phone line from the kitchen when I went to bed. Unplugged it in the morning and PPVs always ended up on the bill...

BTW CID (I assume you mean your Caller ID), is never blocked when you call a toll free number. So if D* cared, they could match acct number to phone number... :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)