According to 'Sports by Brooks', Urban Meyer is new....

Welp, Urban made his first big hire. Tom Herman, the former offensive coordinator/QB's coach from Iowa State University.

From coach....

"Tom Herman has one of the bright young minds in college football," Meyer said. "His philosophies are very similar to those of my own. I spoke to numerous colleagues about Tom and all had great things to say about him. I enjoyed our time together during the interview process and I am excited to have him on the staff."

Welcome aboard Coach Herman.

Wow, now that's big time, getting kids to switch from MSU & PSU to Ohio State. :rolleyes:

Let's see him swing a solid commit from an SEC school, than you can brag.

Wow, now that's big time, getting kids to switch from MSU & PSU to Ohio State. :rolleyes:

Pittman is a ranked as a top 20 defensive end in the country. Schutt is also a top defensive recruit.

And according to what others are saying about Ohio State's recruiting so far this offseason....

...."quickly becoming the highest ranked defensive line haul in the school's recruiting history."

Ummm...I don't follow recruiting, and I don't care about these kids until I see them on the field, but go take a look...Michigan State and Penn State actually ARE big time. :rolleyes:

Sandra

LOL it said I had 31 messages of a possible 30! Just deleted them...

Sandra
For some reason I am getting this error message :

SandraC has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

This was just a few minutes ago.
I don't know, just sayin.

For some reason I am getting this error message :

SandraC has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

This was just a few minutes ago.
I don't know, just sayin.

I think I'm all clear now, Jimbo. Perhaps yesterday I didn't say 'Yes' when it asked me if I was sure I wanted to clear it. For me, deleting messages is just as difficult as explaining Tebow!

Sandra

I think I'm all clear now, Jimbo. Perhaps yesterday I didn't say 'Yes' when it asked me if I was sure I wanted to clear it. For me, deleting messages is just as difficult as explaining Tebow!

Sandra

Explaining Tebow is real simple. Some people say he is a lot like Jesus.. but i don't know, I mean he's a great guy and all and a cool story, but He is no Tim Tebow.

Explaining Tebow is real simple. Some people say he is a lot like Jesus.. but i don't know, I mean he's a great guy and all and a cool story, but He is no Tim Tebow.

Ok, I was on board when you said that about Elway...but right there you just went over the line!!!

Even Tebow would agree with me!

Sandra

Last edited:
Ohio State football: Meyer’s 2012 class has shot at top 10
Coach does quick work to upgrade recruiting outlook

By Bill Rabinowitz

The Columbus Dispatch Thursday December 15, 2011 5:26 AM

That Urban Meyer would prove a crack recruiter at Ohio State should surprise no one.

A tireless recruiter with an almost unmatched resume at a traditional power figured to be a formidable force, especially considering he’s back in his home state.

So when he was hired on Nov. 28 as Ohio State’s coach, it was expected Meyer would be able to salvage what had been an underwhelming recruiting class. But he’s on pace to do far more than salvage.

Before Meyer’s hiring, Ohio State ranked outside of the top 20 in recruiting rankings. Now they are poised for a possible top-10 finish. Already, Scout.com ranks the Buckeyes with the eighth-best class. Rivals.com has them at No. 13. MaxPreps.com has Ohio State at No. 7, with an “up” arrow for good measure.

“I’m not surprised that he’s started so quickly and that there’s been a lot of energy and enthusiasm,” recruiting analyst Bill Kurelic said. “I am a little surprised at just how quickly immediate results have taken place.”

Just this week, Ohio State got two elite players to flip their previous commitments to Big Ten rivals — defensive linemen Tommy Schutt (Penn State) and Se’Von Pittman (Michigan State).

The Buckeyes also got a recommitment from blue-chip running back Bri’onte Dunn of Canton GlenOak, who was flirting with Michigan and was scheduled to take an official visit to Ann Arbor this weekend. Last week, the Canton Repository reported that Dunn had serious reservations about playing in a spread offense, which Meyer uses.

But a home visit by Meyer on Tuesday evidently erased any concerns.

“What surprised me was (Dunn) didn’t even bother officially visiting Michigan, which was his plan,” Kurelic said. “It tells you what a great job Urban Meyer did in convincing him he would use his talents to the best of Bri’onte’s ability and for the Ohio State program.”

Trying to lure players who have announced commitments elsewhere might cause some to tsk-tsk, but it has become commonplace.

“Everyone tries to do it. Very few are successful,” CBS Sports Network recruiting analyst Tom Lemming said. “Urban is successful. When he was at Florida, he took players away from everybody. That’s the nature of recruiting nowadays. Kids commit early and want to get wooed by other schools. Urban is a great wooer.”

Lemming has known Meyer for almost 20 years.

“He’s a bulldog, he’s personable, he’s smart and he’s relentless,” Lemming said.

Last week, Lemming was with a New Jersey high school coach who said he had just gotten off the phone with Meyer, even though Ohio State isn’t recruiting any of his players this year.

“Urban called him just to say hi and renew old acquaintances,” Lemming said. “That’s going the extra mile. Most guys don’t do that. I would imagine he’s called hundreds of guys like that. (The coach) felt special because Urban called him.

“Even though he makes a lot of money and has a big name, he has not let that go to his head as far as recruiting. He still puts in the recruiting time and effort like he was a MAC coach.”

Kurelic said Meyer has been talking about lofty goals in his living-room pitch to recruits.

“One thing he is definitely selling to recruits is that he has big things planned for Ohio State,” he said. “He’s not telling them, ‘We’re going to win a Big Ten championship.’ He’s not even telling them, ‘We’re going to win a national championship.’ He’s telling them he has plans to win multiple national championships at Ohio State.”

Kurelic said Meyer has gotten a huge assist in his recruiting from Luke Fickell, who will return to being an assistant after the Gator Bowl.

“He got Urban Meyer up to speed on the guys they had relationships with,” Kurelic said. “I think he’s been an invaluable person.”

Ohio State is in the mix with some remaining top prospects, but with only a handful of scholarships left to give, the Buckeyes have a limited ceiling for what they can accomplish this year.

In 2012, Kurelic and Lemming said, all bets are off.

“Next year, no doubt he’ll be fighting for No. 1,” Lemming said.

Ohio State football:
Fickell reportedly interviews at Pitt

Apparently, there's a chance Luke Fickell will not remain on new Ohio State coach Urban Meyer's staff, after all.

Ohio State football:
Fickell reportedly interviews at Pitt

Apparently, there's a chance Luke Fickell will not remain on new Ohio State coach Urban Meyer's staff, after all.

Why not give it a shot? It's a HC gig. If he doesn't get picked, he can always stay.

He can sharpen his chops there, and then come back to OSU when Meyer wigs out again!! ;)

Famed Philly sports writer Bill Conlin resigns after alleged abuse...

Georgia Admonsihed With Violations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)