Accuracy of an old 7' steel dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FirstClass

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
USA
I have to chance to acquire an old 7'prime focus steel dish - probably made 30 yrs ago. It still has the handcrank attached. Just wondering if anyone has experience with a similar dish and how well it works for ku for example. Would it outperform a 1.2m which seem to be popular?

I'm also wondering if yrs ago, the design, manufacturing and performance of a steel dish were comparable to antennas nowadays. I realize alot of factors affect microwave reception, setup, antenna condition etc.

Post some pictures of the steel dish if you can. I have a 10 foot Kaul-Tronics steel dish (see avatar) - it has a sticker (which is faded) but you can still read manufactured Sept 1984. That puts it right at 30 years old..

Owner says it's a steel dish, but it's got alotta peeling paint. Maybe it's aluminum.
And by theory alone it would outperform a 1.2m due to a larger size.

Attachments

• DISH 7.jpg
    DISH 7.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 210
Are LNB arms bent or is it that just the angle of the picture. Even so, if free or low cost and dish isn't bent get it! Definitely gonna get more channels with that than a 1.2m:)

I'm guessing by the photo the supports are bent - not sure. Trying to contact the owner now.

And with the peeling paint, wouldn't it be rusted all to hell if it were steel?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts