Accused of satellite piracy because of selling an MRV Band Stop Filter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Rob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Denver, Colorado
So I've been "turned in" for trying to sell an MRV Band Stop filter on craigslist in my local area for $5. I've posted an ad 3 times now that gets removed after a few hours.

I've gotten an email from an anonymous person claiming that this filter I'm selling will somehow give free programming and he has made it his job to hunt me down and have all of my posts removed. He said he has also has turned me into Directv.

I'm thinking if I do get a potential buyer, I'm going to make sure I have someone else with me and do it in a public place...There are some real crazy people out there!

No doubt! You must be getting all of those cool channels you hear about on the internets! LOL
I know of filters in the 1980's that were supposed to get free cable or something like that. I guess that's where this person's tech knowledge comes from. :D

No doubt! You must be getting all of those cool channels you hear about on the internets! LOL
I know of filters in the 1980's that were supposed to get free cable or something like that. I guess that's where this person's tech knowledge comes from. :D

There was a filter about ten years ago that would block PPV info from going back to the cable company. The purchases were kept on the box itself so after a while you couldn't order any more and when you returned the box you would be charged for everything anyway.

It would be interesting to find this "anonymous" emailer and ask him a few questions. And whether he really did contact DirecTV and how does he have the power to get items removed from Craig's List?

So anybody could have anybody's posts deleted by just reporting something if it is not true? Sounds like a way for people to cause Craigslist to be unusable in the future by reporting a bunch of posts.

Yeah I bet you get that Special Dish HD Channel called Soon HD. :)

he getting it from what was called "band stop" filters for digital cable boxes. stops the box from talking to the cable co... the box eventually disables it self if it does not have sucessful two way conversation.

ignore him.

The thing about craigslist is it's pretty much anoymous. He is flagging the ad, so it gets removed. Nobody checks it, if someone flags it, boom, it's gone.

As for turning you in, all he has is a masked email address for craigslist.org.

Even if he sent that info to DirecTV, they would laugh and hit delete. They know their security is much better than that.

I'll second the question, is it worth bothering with for $5? Hardly seems worth the time to coordinate and meet for an exchange with someone. Worst case throw it in our classified section, you can ship it for a buck or so first class.

It's a matter of principle. I'd put that band stop filter back up on craigslist and note in its description exactly what it is for. Let craigslist know this as well and tell them that if it is removed you'll diss them all over the place. :)

piracy ?

arg arg arg
walk the plank matey
deadmen tell no tales
yo ho ho & a bottle of rum
but where is the rum ?
theyll be no living with her after this

penelope cruz looks hot from the POTC IV pics.

Well, I've listed it 3 more times describing it is legal and Directv approved with links to Directv's forums. Like clockwork, within 2 hours my ad gets removed.

I also posted the SWM I have for sale separately and it was also removed the 2 times I posted it.

So I guess now all Directv stuff is off limits on craigslist Denver...

Craigslist needs to be improved to prevent every red flagged post from geting removed without being reviewed first.

Craigslist needs to be improved to prevent every red flagged post from geting removed without being reviewed first.

Totally!

I first created this thread because I thought it was funny how someone would take it upon themselves to be the "Directv police" and use their misunderstanding of what parts are legal to stalk someone on the internet.

But then it went beyond being funny since all of my ads are now being deleted - filter listed or not. It shows there are some pretty crazy scummy people out there.

I'm glad I wasn't trying to sell anything big and relying on my posts being there to make money for rent or something important like that.

I have emailed Craigslist and will post any reply.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)