Activated a D11-100 today with no lease

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jason B

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Just bought a D11-100 at my local electronics store today and activated it. Are these made by RCA?? Anyway, I called and cancelled service on an older RCA receiver and told the guy I bought the D11 in Febuary and he assured me it would go down as "customer owned"..

We'll see when the bill comes..

Good luck Jason.

I bought one (D11-100) via ebay and it's in route to me as I type this. I would also like to know who makes that model.

Hope I get it before the end of the month to avoid the "it wasn't activated before 31 March" recriminations from CSRs.s

Also bought a replacement triple lnb and hopefully that will shortly arrive as well.

Now if I can only convince them that they need to waive the annual commitment I'll be good to go.

It's not that I most likely won't be with D for more than a year, after all I've been with my cable provider for what, like 16 years now, but that commitment thing is a huge psychological weight.

Just the thought of commitments rubs me raw in all the wrong places.

When I called to inquire about waiving the annual commitment the CSR said nope, BUTTTTTTT, and I had to admit I literally laughed out loud when she said it, she said if I had to move to a non southern sky facing locale, then I could have someone in my family sign up for service, and they could then release me from the obligation.

I kid you not, that's what she said.

That reply was so ludicrous I hardly knew how to respond to it. I mean it's bad enough they're not willing to waive a commitment for a new account saving them an estimated ~600 in SAC costs since it's owned equipment, and no install costs, but that they wanted me to pimp D service to avoid a pro rated 150 dollar fee, should it come to an early termination, was just over the top.

It reminded me of what someone posted elsewhere that they were asked to take equipment they bought back to the seller and ask the seller to contact Directv so that he could pay off the remaining balance on his account.

I'm sorry but that's what collection agencies are for, you want me to do that than I expect to be put on your payroll.

Good luck..

I didnt think about the year commitment, but that shouldnt happen just because I added a mirrored receiver, should it??

Sorry Jason I should have been clearer. I was referring to a new account activation not simply an old account with a new receiver activation, as is your case.

From what I've been reading you should not be affected by this, but I've heard the opposite as well, since you own the equipment, but I'd keep it in mind and verify however you're able. Bill, online, CSR?

Someone else can probably shed more light on that as I'm not, nor ever have been a Directv customer.

Looking forward to becoming one though.

Jason B said:
Just bought a D11-100 at my local electronics store today and activated it. Are these made by RCA?? Anyway, I called and cancelled service on an older RCA receiver and told the guy I bought the D11 in Febuary and he assured me it would go down as "customer owned"..

We'll see when the bill comes..

Check your bill when it comes in I am sure you will have a commitment of at least 1 year. I bought a new receiver before the lease period, they said nothing to me when I bought it, I called and activated it, again nothing was said about any commitment, but when my first bill came in, after the purchase, it had one on it.

I don't think it is legal though, I never signed anything about a commitment and the only paperwork I have from the sale is a sales slip, from the store and nothing from D*.

I am a happy camper now with my service, but just question the tactic used, and if it is even legal to impose a commitment on you without you knowing it.

Last edited:
digitaldvdrs said:
Sorry Jason I should have been clearer. I was referring to a new account activation not simply an old account with a new receiver activation, as is your case.

From what I've been reading you should not be affected by this, but I've heard the opposite as well, since you own the equipment, but I'd keep it in mind and verify however you're able. Bill, online, CSR?

Someone else can probably shed more light on that as I'm not, nor ever have been a Directv customer.

Looking forward to becoming one though.

you dont have to answer, BUT.
if you arent a directv sub and never have been why the IRD and LNB purchase?

and why are you giving advice on here?

The initial ird and the dish were gifted to me, the triple lnb was damaged, so i ordered another one. I didn't care for the ird (rca model d something or other) so I bought another one. When I attempted to sign up for service I was told there would be a one year commitment which I don't care much for so I figure I'll try and get them to waive it.

In the process I noted several remarks about a new leasing programing and that lead me to research what was going on.

As for giving advice, I've been upfront about what I do know, and what I don't, and in Jason's case I suggested someone else might be able to give him more guidance since I'm not currently nor ever have been a customer of D.

I believe that should be enough disclosure to participate in this forum. If it's not point me to the posting prerequisites for this board, and if I'm not within them I'll adjust my posting habits accordingly.

It's a DRD440RE.

The black unit looks garish in my high end system, and I'm not overly fond of the onscreen menu either, for that matter.

digitaldvdrs said:
It's a DRD440RE.

The black unit looks garish in my high end system, and I'm not overly fond of the onscreen menu either, for that matter.

you are trading a 440 for a d-11.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

you CANT be serious! that 440 is the ROCK OF GIBRALTAR as far as reliability is concerned.

Your alright digitaldvdrs,

We were just wondering where your info was coming from, if youm were not a previous or current sub.

I kinda wondered when I read it as well.
Advise others on things you know and learn from others in the forum

Jimbo

Hi jimbos,

Yeah I'm a quick study when I'm interested in a topic.

I've attained what I know in the past week or so, and it's by no means anywhere near complete.

I was wondering where the initial accusation came from because the information I gave was fairly general, freely available, and I tacked on a disclaimer because I know I don't know much right now.

I guess it is advice to agree with someone that they should probably double check that what they were told by a CSR, from any company, is a good idea.

I wouldn't think that would rise to the level of warranting an accusatory post alleging "advice" as though I were instructing him on how to properly ground his dish, connect a multiswitch, or something.

-dragon,

Thanks I'll bear that in mind. I still have it, and some day I may activate it, but for now the pebble of Gibraltar will do for me.

hdtvtechno said:
Wrong
It started March 1st i believe

I was assured by the CSR that my new D11-100 would be filed as "customer owned" and I made a point of it..

I disconnected an RCA DRD435RH to hook up the D11. I like the user interface better on the RCA "easier to read channel banner and guide ect..", but the last couple of models RCA put out (before the D takeover) have freezing problems on the guide...

digitaldvdrs said:
Hi lou_do,

I'm curious, is that new receiver showing up as a lease fee, or a mirroring fee on your bill?

Up to now, it is shown as a mirroring fee, with the 2 year committment, that they imposed on me, without me knowing it. It was purchased prior to March 1st. Actually I haven't gotten a bill yet, since the change over to the Lease Program. My billing cycle ends the 29th of the month, and missed the change over by 1 day.

digitaldvdrs said:
Good luck Jason.I bought one (D11-100) via ebay and it's in route to me as I type this. I would also like to know who makes that model.

100= RCA/ Thompson
200= Samsung
300= Philips
400= Hughes
500= Humax
600= LG

lou_do,

Thanks for the update. I'm curious to see whether it shows up as a lease, or mirroring fee when you do get your next bill.

charper1,

Appreciate the information. The general derth of information on receiver models out there is what finally brought me to this forum on a google search. It's a bit disappointing how little information I was able to find about the specifics on receivers.

Most of my searches so far have turned up little more than what I would consider satellite provider affiliates selling (now under leasing contracts, though so many sites still haven't been updated with that information), and they tend not to have what I really prefer to see - customer reviews.

Even google Blog searches have been inundated with little more than promotional sales sites for satellite service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)