Activating a SD receiver

sA :: Shaggy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
5701 S Santa Fe Dr
So, Im trying to help out a friend. She has a 722 and wanted to add 2 more rooms sd with dvr. I suggested she get a 625 because it would fit. She also wanted to make sure she wasn't under contract.

So After looking around she found a 625 with a clean account history and bought it.

I have now been on the phone 6 times trying to get an answer of why it would not activate and finally was told its because there is an MPEG4 tag on the account.

She doesn't want to spend the 300 bucks to get a 622/722. nor does she want a contract.

Is there any way we can get this stupid mpeg4 tag removed from the account to activate the 625?

There is definitely some idiots answering the phones this evening. I had done an upgrade for a buddy this afternoon just swapping a 311 for a 612 & had to call back 3x to get someone who could actually help me with a retail dish'n it up promo. Already had order processed and built through dish. The 1st 2 csr's kept wanting to add it as a purchased receiver.

I don't know what to say in your situation. Installers are always the last to know about any important changes. Nothing worse than standing in front of a friend or customer & having an issue like NOT being able to activate. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Same problem here on my account. I have eastern arc setup and an owned 922 and 211k . I wanted to add a 501 dvr that I own also . The tech said no way as my account was pegged HD only. I wrote an email to the ceo@echostar.com a week ago. I received a reply last Friday, to late to get back to her because of my work hours. She said to give her the receiver and smart card numbers via email and she would "attempt" to add it another way. I called again Friday night and talked to the executive resolution csr and they said they couldn't add it either. The woman that wrote the email won't be back till Monday and you would have to call back & talk to her . Of course the hours I work will coincide with her hours , so unless she responds by email, I won't be able to talk to her anyway.

So I bought a used 211k from the dishstore.net for $79.00 last night. I plan to use my external hard drive and turn it into a dvr , since I already have it on my other 211k. The 501 will sit in a closet now , since they won't let me activate it.

Don't see why this is unexpected?.Everyone who comes here knows that Dishnetwork gradually wants to make the Western Arc MPEG4,because the EA already is.So we knew something would be coming just didn't know when.Imagine this is the start of it once your MPEG4 and HD you will have to add an MPEG4 receiver/DVR.Why? because Dish doesn't want to have to pay to change you over sense your already over,makes sense(cents) to me.;)

Its going to be another 4 years before we make WA to mpeg4. (thats just my guess)

As for mike, On eastern ark I understand that u need an mpeg4 receiver that system is only setup for mpeg4. but Western ark, is a mpeg2/mpeg4 system.

I was able to get it to finally go on there after a few more calls and a lot more time on hold. (they blamed it on the system upgrades)

Glad it worked out for you. I just hate that the 501 will not be used now. It is payed for and it still in great condition and works great. As for the 501 I have a separate dish 500 just for it so it doesn't interfere with the eastern arc dish.

Last edited:
I was able to get it to finally go on there after a few more calls and a lot more time on hold. (they blamed it on the system upgrades)
Whew. Good news finally.

I'll bet I'm going to have trouble as well. I have EA but I kept my D500 for the two apparent BOAT ANCHORS I have in my closet. Neither have the new smart card either. :(

Its going to be another 4 years before we make WA to mpeg4. (thats just my guess)

As for mike, On eastern ark I understand that u need an mpeg4 receiver that system is only setup for mpeg4. but Western ark, is a mpeg2/mpeg4 system.

Glad it worked out for you,I agree WA is MPEG2&4 also know there will come a time when Dish will make WA just MPEG4 so guess this isn't the time.....yet.;)

Well I sent the email over the weekend about the smart card and receiver number and when I got home Monday night the 501 receiver was on and activated. There was an email from the Executive department saying it was activated. So it looks like you can get an sd receiver activated on an all mpeg 4 hd account , if you go through ceo@echostar.com.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts