Active Weather

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
yeah, the h10s are basically just high def d10s. i've read that they will get active eventually, but not when the d10s get it.

Active Finnally Released

News
DIRECTV Rolls Out Interactive TV
The satcaster adds ITV in one market with plans to expand it to all cities within a month.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (May 18) -- DIRECTV last week launched its highly anticipated Interactive TV service in one test market. The satcaster says it plans to expand the service to all cities within the next month.

Called DIRECTV Active, it will provide viewers access to local weather information, daily horoscopes, stock summaries and lottery results. DIRECTV subscribers who have late-model receivers (purchased after 2004) will be able to access the information on-screen with their TV remotes.

Jade Ekstedt, a DIRECTV spokeswoman, said she did not know the name of the market where the company is testing the new ITV features. TVPredictions.com asked Ekstedt for the market location several times over the last week but she said she could not obtain the information.

Ekstedt said DIRECTV is waiting to see the results of the trial before it rolls out the service to more cities.

DIRECTV has delayed the Interactive TV launch for nearly two months.

When DIRECTV was purchased last year by News Corp., chaired by ITV enthusiast Rupert Murdoch, many industry experts predicted that the satellite TV service would soon launch several ITV innovations, including on-screen polls for popular shows such as American Idol and Survivor. Interactive TV proponents expressed hope that a Murdoch-led DIRECTV would revive the two-way technology which has failed to find an audience in the United States despite more than a decade of investment and hype.

However, at this time, DIRECTV's ITV offering pales compared to the one offered by satellite rival EchoStar, which has a ITV karaoke channel, an ITV shopping channel and a interactive feature which permits subscribers in 12 states to bet on the horses. In addition, Comcast, the nation's largest cable operator, now has an on-demand dating service and is testing ITV games in selected cities.

DIRECTV is expected to offer more advanced ITV features later in the year.

The main features of the current version of DIRECTV ACTIVE, which will be free to subscribers, are:

Main Screen
DIRECTV Active's main screen, which will have its own channel, will display stock market summaries and local weather information. In addition, a video loop will provide customer care and Pay Per View highlights.

Weather
The interactive weather feature will provide current and five-day local weather forecasts for thousands of U.S. cities. Viewers will be able to add up to five additional U.S. cities from a list of more than 2,000 cities.

Mix Channels
The Mix Channels, which are currently available on DIRECTV, enable subscribers to view up to six live channels from different networks on one screen. However, with the launch of DIRECTV Active, viewers will be able to tune to one Mix channel by pressing the "Select" key on their remotes. The first three DIRECTV Mix channels are for sports, news and children.

Horoscope
DIRECTV viewers will be able to check their daily horoscope by clicking on an on-screen astrological sign.

Lottery
DIRECTV will offer up-to-the-minute results from the 38 state lotteries in the United States. Current jackpot amounts will also be listed

jesserulz233 said:
Weather
The interactive weather feature will provide current and five-day local weather forecasts for thousands of U.S. cities. Viewers will be able to add up to five additional U.S. cities from a list of more than 2,000 cities.

You can select the primary location for weather by zip code. Then you can display up to 5 more cities by area. First you get a "region" screen (think in the line of East, Central, South West, North West, and so on), then by state and then country.
The active weather is displaying data which is broadcasted periodically (a few seconds period). Because of this, you may experience a short delay before the actual information is displayed.

phatnuts said:
wich tivo model #'s? I got a sd dvr80-hughes

Sorry but my understanding is that NO current DVR's will get the Active service, only the D-10 receivers. I hope I'm wrong because I have 4 Tivo's and no regular receivers and I'd like to have the Active, but I'd rather have my TIVO and yes I mean TIVO, not something DirecTV decides is a DVR. They'll have to convince me it works as well.

cueman98 said:
Will I need to have my D10-200 receivers connected to my phone line to get the "active" update?

No, the updates come from the satellite feed.

Active Pictures

Does anyone have any photos of the Active channels that they can post? I'd like to get a look at the interactive stuff before I get the download. BTW, when should my D10 get the software download? I live in Florida.

:what

I don't know,,,, all this seems to be a lot of hassle when you could easlily turn your channel to TWC (Ch. 362, incase you need it.);)

TWC is a national feed, the interactive service will give you local weather at the ready. I don't really care about what the forcast is for miami, I live in cocoa.

not available

Weather

Mix Channels
The Mix Channels, which are currently available on DIRECTV, enable subscribers to view up to six live channels from different networks on one screen. However, after the launch of DIRECTV Active, viewers will be able to tune to one Mix channel by pressing the "Select" key on their remotes. The first three DIRECTV Mix channels are for sports, news and children.

Horoscope
DIRECTV viewers will be able to check their daily horoscope by clicking on an on-screen astrological sign.

Lottery
DIRECTV will offer up-to-the-minute results from the 38 state lotteries in the United States. Current jackpot amounts will also be listed. -30-

not available w/tivo

not on tivo now, and according dtv nothing planned, dishnetwork has it even on there dvr's (keep thinking small dtv)

?

Angerphile said:
Oh, if this hasn't been posted yet...

InterActive service firmware upgrades will be on:

05/17
Boise, ID
Ft Meyers - Naples, FL
San Antonio, TX
San Diego, CA

05/24 - Mountain Timezone
05/31 - Pacific Timezone
06/07 - Central Timezone
06/14 - Eastern Timezone (Partial)
06/21 - Eastern Timezone (The rest)

And the updates will be sent out at 1AM PT every day.

!

which part of the eastern timezone will recieve the active upgrade on 6/14?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts